Temp stable Re#16 ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Ironworker, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Sept 1st MT( 80 degrees) prairie dog fields 41grs of Re#16 behind 115 DTAC was blowing primers,11/11 in Reno NV (50 degrees) same cartridges that I stopped shooting in MT, didn't blow primers or even a shinny ejector mark ? Who to believe ?

2. KevinThomas

KevinThomas

Always believe the blown primers and ejector marks. They’re never lying to you, and are ALWAYS telling you something to which you need to be paying attention.

hambone1971, swd and timeout like this.
  3. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Well we can guess it's a 6MM something but not sure what. I can only provide my insight and experience, none of which has scientific merit, but in my 6 Creedmoor I shoot the 105 Hybrid ahead of 42 grains RL16 in Hornady brass fired off by Federal GMM primers (this is MY load and should not be used without great care***SAFE IN MY RIFLE). It has performed the same at 45˚F as it did in 98˚F with only minor shift elevation. I regularly shoot it to 1,000 yards with never more than 1/10 mil change. Primer pockets still tight (even on Hornady brass) after 6 reloads.
    The 115 DTAC is a different animal though and I did experience the same condition you describe shooting the 115 DTAC (original & naked) ahead of H4350 in my .243 Win. What shot phenomenal groups at 500 yards without excess barrel heating blew primers in virgin Lapua brass under the constraints of a F-Class match at 600 yards.

4. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Right its a 6mm Creedmoor 26" Bartlien 8"twist bbl. That was hornady brass. I think I'll load some up using Alpha brass which is heavier . Start at 38 grs same bullet.

5. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

First, if you are blowing primers in 80deg temps, the load was too hot, not a RL 16 issue. Unless of coarse you were baking ammo in the hot sun, you did not say if the load survived other 80deg encounters. What were your dopes on the 2 different occasions, the same, way off, etc.. ?

I think if you think it is in question, you owe it to yourself to conduct your own tests and not rely on what I say about it. Opinions are just that, opinions, and trusting someone else's tests are not my thing.

I for the most part feel 16 is very stable, or has been for me. Fast forward to last weekend shooting a 6 dasher in the rain, 40deg, my 34gr charge behind a 110 Sierra now gassed my shoulders and chamber on about my last 4rds I shot that day, I quit when I noticed it. To me, it said my powder was no longer generating the pressure it was used to, and seal off was not there. So I question the stability some too, but this load runs a 205M primer, I'd wager a CCI 450 would have remained fine. This right here is why tests conducted by most aren't worth beans, everything in the test needs to be at ambient temps, not pulling ammo out of a cooler on a 90 deg day.

Your last post said you are starting fresh with a diff brand of brass, you are on the right track. The key to any good load is to survive the hottest conditions you will shoot in. Yes, you can pull ammo from a cooler, but it is still a bandaid for a hot load

Bc'z likes this.
  6. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

If your going from no pressure signs at all to blowing primers with only 30 deg difference something is up. I've shot 30+ lbs of RL16 and never experienced anything like that. Might be worth a call to Alliant.

7. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

RL-16 and RL-23 have the same formulation. The only difference is their respective burn rates. I used RL-23 in both a .260A.I. and a 7mm SAUM. I shot both from a low of about 40 degrees in the winter here in Arizona all the way to 112 during one summer shoot! I have never experienced a pressure problem with RL-23. I have shot RL-16 during last summer, where temps exceeded 105 on most, if not all the matches! I did not experience any problems. Admittedly, I did not shoot the same load from winter thru summer with RL-16 as I did with RL-23 so I can't make the same claim as I can with RL-23.. If there are blown primers in a relatively mild temp swing, there are other issues at hand!

8. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Did you change your RL16 load to stay in tune because of winter to summer temp change or for another reason? I haven't had to change to stay in tune for F Class in my BRX's.

9. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I did not use the RL-16 until about March here. So it was "cool" but not cold. I went thru the summer, which here is always above 100. I never had to change my load. I still like the Hodgdon line of "Extreme" powders, specifically, Varget, H4350, H4831, H1000 and Retumbo. They are all excellent. Having said that, RL-16 is rapidly becoming a real fav of mine, exceeding the Hodgdon line! I have embarked on a "new competition route" where I have abandoned the heavy recoiling 7mms on up! Ergo, with the cartridges I will be shooting, RL-16 is rapidly taking over all my cartridges!

swd likes this.
  10. hambone1971

hambone1971

I've shot over 3500 rounds of RL16 now in two different 6.5 Creedmoors with no problems. I think the powder is great!

ShootDots likes this.
  11. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I've been a big Hodgdon fan for many years but RL16 has been at the top of my list for about 3 years now. Of the last 5 BRX's I've built they all love it. I don't bother with anything else in that case.

ShootDots likes this.