Target Paper

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Dimwit Flathead, Feb 3, 2018.

1. CubCouper

CubCouper Silver $$ Contributor

To clear up a few details... the benchrest community long ago decided that it was important to have a source of paper that was very consistent in the way it recorded bullet holes. The NBRSA bought a massive amount of this paper and had it stored and printed at Orville Printing in Ohio. I can't tell you the exact details of how the IBS also ended up using what I think was same paper for long time... but ultimately that stockpile dwindled down. A few years ago Orrville printed some IBS targets on a new stock that was available and folks were not impressed. The specifications were the same, but the paper blew out the holes completely different that the old stock. I bought about 2000 sheets of that blank stock for printing my own practice targets and have the same problem. Not skookum.

Knowing this, about 2-3 years ago as the last of the original NBRSA paper was used up, they went searching for a new vendor. Nothing wrong with Orrville, just that the old paper was gone and the new stuff that Orrville was getting in wasn't going to work. Lots of things were tried and they settled on a company in Omaha (http://www.targetsonline.com/ I believe). The new stuff feels 'plastic-coated', kinda like a new deck of playing cards. It has received mostly mixed reviews -- bullet holes are "too clean" -- a 6mm bullet leaves a .22 caliber hole. This is a problem for scoring where people (incorrectly) measure edge-to-edge and subtract instead of center-to-center. Also that plastic coating only catches a faint grey streak instead of the thick, black carbon ring of the old paper -- which messes with folks who fine tune their guns by analyzing that carbon track. Last I heard, that organization was still on the hunt for yet another perfect paper.

So... Orrville is a great printer, but the old, good paper is gone.

I've tried card stock and several flavors for office supply papers with disappointing results. Personally, I like the new plastic-coated paper. It definitely holds up in poor weather. And compared to 10 year old targets on my wall, I think it looks better. Just don't expect your range-measured world record to stand unless the scorer really knows how to find center of the bullet hole and not just an edge.

Rod

20180225_143703-1600.jpg 20180225_143803-1600.jpg

rogina, Uthink Uknow and jimmymac like this.
  2. grovey

grovey

I use Manilla file folders. Cheap, tough, holes don't blow out, and easy to store.

ratbuster likes this.
  3. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

+1 Good stuff and reasonably priced.

Mark W likes this.
  4. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

I looked through the catalog at Targetsonline and found no IBS or NBRSA 100 or 200 yard score targets. I did send them a message to see if they could make those up. They already do print IBS/NBRSA rimfire targets. I’ll need centerfire for Harrison.

5. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

I use photo paper that I buy from Red River Paper on line. It is especially good it wet weather. Does not curl or run. I like the high gloss with a sheen.

I also use this paper from Amazon. It is heavy and makes a nice hole. Cheap also.

Neenah Exact Index, 110 lb, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightness

Chuckhunter likes this.
  6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Paper types make a huge impact on group size. If you compete be sure to practice on the correct paper

7. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Silver $$ Contributor

This is what I use as well. I have not found anything that is any better to track bullet perimeters and for weather conditions. It works well to place stick on dots on them.

8. Gappmast

Gappmast Gold $$ Contributor

I use the card stock from Staples. Just push the pedals back in and measure the black spot

Mark W and Bill Norris like this.
  9. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

67# will not feed through my printer. Now I have to take the paper back to Office Max and have them print it for me. While I am at it, will ask about printing using red ink. Bullets can not hide as in the black ink.

teele1 likes this.
  10. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

The only suggestion I have to offer is long grain is to be avoided as it tears.
    However, I've eyeballed the cereal boxes when I've flattened them for the recycler. Haven't tried them yet but thought I'd use the gray side as a backer?

Mark W likes this.
  11. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I don’t eat enough cereal in a year to provide enough boxes to do any good. If 12 pack cartons work, that could be another story altogether.....

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Silver $$ Contributor

13. 338 dude

338 dude Silver $$ Contributor

I have use this in the past for my tall target tests

mikeinct and Mark W like this.
  14. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I get thick, high quality posters by the hundreds here at the shop. I mean really.....How many Mustang GT 350/500 posters can I hang in my showroom?? The rest make GREAT target paper!!

mikeinct likes this.
  15. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

Cereal boxes work well but in between Lucky Charms, I sometimes use grocery bags from Kroger. Cut open and stick on target pasters or use a 1" sharpie to make an approximate 1" square.

16. mikeinct

mikeinct Silver $$ Contributor

Next time you are in a Hallmark greeting card store. Check out the "Header Card" behind the greeting cards in almost every pocket on the racks. The backside is white non glare. I use a Sq. template 1"/fine Blk marker pen & set as a Diamond points up. They are free for the asking. They come in every pack of greeting cards. Waste not Want Not. Mike in Ct

17. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Amazing that you mention going into an Hallmark Card Store.
    Hallmark is anti-gun or at least anti-NRA.

From the NRA Pages

Hallmark Cards

Irvine O. Hockaday, President & CEO
    P.O. Box 418307
    Kansas City, MO 64141
    (816) 274-5111
    www.hallmark.com
    Greeting Card Company

mikeinct likes this.
  18. mikeinct

mikeinct Silver $$ Contributor

I know. I dealt w those Sheet Heads for 40 years before I closed my store/some of the privately held shops have nice owners ..Mike in Ct

19. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

This is what @Dusty Stevens is talking about
    The paper is important
    Which seating depth do you think is the right one ?
    Right or left?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  20. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Have you tried setting the "paper type" in your printer settings? This setting slows down the rollers and helps it feed better. If in doubt, set it for extra heavy.

I occasionally shoot on rainy days. I had some Rite in the Rain cardstock I bought from their website. Its handles rain like a champ but the holes don't punch as crisply. I think I will order more just because it's great to have.

I've also used generic cardstock.

All targets make cleaner holes when you place them over a fresh sheet of cardboard. I use half of an unfolded cereal box on each target.

mikeinct likes this.