Target illiteracy

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by grovey, Mar 15, 2019.

1. grovey

grovey Silver $$ Contributor

Rl26 target 002.JPG I usually don't ask, but this seems a bit different. So.... I'd like some input on this 100yd RL26 OCW test target. No velocity's as I don't own a chrono, so what ya see is what you get. I did a rough seating depth test to get a feel for what my rifle wanted, and loaded these based what initially looked the best there. No hard bolt lift or click, but the primer is getting fairly flat at the top charge. From the looks of it I could stuff atleast another 1/2 gr of powder in the case as is, and these are shot with virgin brass. At 47.4 my first shot I consider a pull, and 47.6 was only 2 shots as I decided to save the components after seeing the first 2 shots .Thoughts?

2. hrlincoln

hrlincoln Silver $$ Contributor

I'd be inclined to nail down best seating depth at at 46.6, then retest 46.4 thru 46.8.

Clancy, jamesh and Bc'z like this.
  3. Meangreen

Meangreen

What cartridge and bullet would this happen to be?

4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

6.5 creedmoor

5. XTR

XTR

Somewhere around 47, maybe 46.9. Your POI between 46.8 and 47.2 is consistent and is going lower, so the faster bullets are hitting lower. If you believe in negative compensation you are in it there.

Three shot groups don't tell much of anything. Load up 47 and do seating depth testing with 5 shot groups.

Bc'z, grovey and Clancy like this.
  6. grovey

6.5 CM with 139gr scenar. It's just a factory rifle with a sporter bbl, so for me 3 shots are the norm in early development. My routine is to shoot some 5 shot groups when I get the sweet spot whittled down more.

7. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Are these the ones shot off the hood of your pickup?
    I'd reshoot 46.4 though 47.2.
    I'm curious about case weight and volume on the Peterson brass, compared to hornady's.
    If this is 1st firing on new brass I'd be curious to see how they look after a lil bit of case growth.

8. grovey

These were shot off my rest/bag at the range, but I did do my rough seating depth test off the hood with a few sandbags, so those results are somewhat debatable. haha . The brass was about 0.005 +or- of my chamber as gauged by sizing some brass fired from a different rifle, and another brand down to get a hard bolt close.
    The new unprimed cases weigh almost exactly the same as the Lapua brass ( 165.xx grs I have on hand. The difference being the Lapua has a srp pocket. I still have a few unfired cases, so I'll get a before and aft capacity # here in a few. What is it that you want to see Brett?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Just the difference in capacity from new to fired is all. And differences between your Peterson and my hornady.
    Just comparing notes is all.
    As case capacity grows from new to fired, and charge weight remains the same preasure will be different. Which may or may not push you off your node.
    I try and shoot through my brass and not settle on a charge weight until 2nd firing.

I was wondering why 46.6 opened up so much compared to charges on either side of it. Same with 47gr 46.8 n 47.2 are tighter.
    Looking like small charge windows.

muleman69 likes this.
  10. grovey

The new cases grew from 1.549.0-1.549.5 to 1.55.5- 1.556 from the 1st firing. The one virgin case I checked had 50.62 h20 capacity , and an average of the three fired from the highest charge had 51.90 averaged.

11. grovey

The wind was light at about 6-8mph, but switchy from crosswind and a tailwind and no flags involved. I feel I did decent behind the gun, but I was literally shooting three rifles round robin and this one has the lightest trigger, and it actually recoils. So user error could be a factor. I agree that if 46.6 and 47.0 looked better it'd be the cats azz. Not sure I'll go any higher, atleast until I shoot some of these recommendations and/or put some over a chrono if my buddy will help me out.

Bc'z likes this.
  12. divingin

divingin

I'm with BC. 46.4 to 47 and change all printed in the same general area, and fairly well (the one group notwhithstanding.) If it were me, I'd re-run 5 ground groups in there, choose a load, and do a depth workup on that.

13. K22

K22

If it was me I'd shoot a 5 to 7 shot group with 46.4 and if I got close to the same results as the 3 shot group I'd stop testing and go hunting or target shooting unless you enjoy testing loads.

brians356 likes this.
  14. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

• Ok Grovey been thinkin bout this for a couple days.I'd try a seating depth at 47 grains.46.4- 47.2 are holding the same horizontal line. 47 being at upper end but still leaving a little wiggle room.

15. grovey

I like the thought of finding something good higher up too, but it's hard to deny 46.4 . It's certainly all I expect from my rifle. If only I could shoot this steady off my hood, because I do that a 1/4 mile from home. Looks like I'll be able to shoot some in the next few days , so I'll be at the bench in the AM.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Bc'z likes this.
  16. grovey

I had 7 unfired cases left out of 100, so I just loaded 4 at 46.4 with one to be a fowler, and the last 3 at 47.0 just to see what happens before I load the once fired stuff I prepped today. Perhaps 47.0 will do better this time around? My seating depth is 0.001 longer on these. Also,I dug out my old Bulls bag to help steady my truck hood groups... lol

Bc'z likes this.
  17. grovey

Still chasing my tail on this. I shot the two aforementioned groups with the last of the virgin cases. I shot the fowler into the first group of 46.4 and with it I shot a .7 and not counting the fowler a .5 . The 47.0 3 shot group went .131 . I had hopes that would pan out. I then shot some more tests in the 46.6 - 47.0 range, in less than optimal conditions and most groups have been ugly compared to what it shot before.

Yesterday morning proved to be the best conditions I've had a chance to shoot thus far , so I did a sorta ladder test? @ 200yds on this rifle and another. Most ladder tests I see are with coarser charges, but here's what I did.... mostly to keep track of my hits better. Maybe it's the wrong way to approach this ? I feel pretty good on the holds, but all were shot point of aim in 2-4mph? wind. I had one 6" piece of surveyors tape @ 50 to judge what was happening down range.

Attached Files:

18. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Did you say 47 gr shot a .13" inch group?
    Looking at target there isn't much vertical dispersion between 47-47.2 .
    I'd load 47.1 and shoot for group to confirm.
    Maybe adjust seating dept in .001 increments to fine tune if needed after group confirmation.

19. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Aside from the above, are you using a front rest or bags?

If a front rest and you move to the next target, is there any sideways pressure of your body, arm, or whatever, against one side of the fore end as you adjust for the next target?

20. grovey

Yes, last 3 unfired cases @ 47.0 is the group on bottom right.

Attached Files: