Tales from the creedmoor aisle

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Dusty Stevens, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

[​IMG]

2. rr2030

rr2030

Hmm,, I did not know this information has been declassified yet but here we go: Yes this is true. The 6.5 Creedmoor will be used, a round(only 1 is needed)will be fired from one of several satellites, then will be redirected via ricochet from one of the many Space Hovering Intergalactic Targeting (SHIT) satellites. From there it can be fine tuned by re-redirection from one of the Final Attitude Node (FAN) satellites, from there it will be on its way to the one shot kill and subsequent youtube video with a bazillion likes.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    clunker, MrMajestic, mikegaiz and 4 others like this.
  3. Laurie

Laurie

It could and would have been if Remington had put any effort into supporting it in recent years instead of developing new numbers that all flopped. AFAIK, Remington doesn't do a single match or tactical factory loading and never has. Where was Big Green looking, and what was it looking at, when 260 and 260AI were the cartridges for Sniper and other tactical disciplines? It's scandalous that small operators like Applied Ballistics, HSM, and Prime Ammo can make money out of match/tactical loads in the cartridge, but the company whose name it bears couldn't even be bothered making brass for it during the recent components shortages and drove the last of its supporters away.

Remington could have easily have developed and produced an enhanced longer neck, 30-deg shoulder model like Robert Whitley's 6.5SLR (and Winchester too for that matter with the 243 Win).

Hornady / Savage / Ruger etc have put the time, money and effort into the Creedmoors. Carry on like this and in a generation or so there will be no Remington or Winchester given their inertia and poor judgments of recent years.

(BTW, did I ever tell you about the time I hit a 3-inch diameter gong at 2,000 yards with the Creedmoor, first shot no sighters, moreover shooting backwards over my shoulder using a mirror to aim the rifle? Since it would have been too easy in daylight, it was done on a moonless night too! :))

muleman69, SPJ, Evan and 7 others like this.
  4. rr2030

rr2030

Oh sure, using a mirror to aim, thats like cheating ;)

Dgd6mm and Laurie like this.
  5. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I have started stamping all my F Class Rifles 6.5 Creedmoor regardless of actual caliber.
    IT HAS DOUBLED MY SCORES!!!!

snert, Peebles24, ckaberna and 5 others like this.
  6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I made the same shot with a CREED! but riding horseback, upside down, from underneath the horse, cossack style.

And yes, of course it was a controlled round feed rifle, a pre 64 Winchester model 70. A Remington 700 couldn’t have made that shot.

snert, SPJ and Laurie like this.
  7. Laurie

Laurie

I saw this done in a spoof demonstration by the British Army back in the 1960s, A travelling recruitment fair had set up in my local park and was putting on demos twice per day - great fun, Ferrets, Saracens and Saladins chasing each other around firing thousands of 30-06 blanks from their Browning MGs and wrecking the carefully tended turf. Two things really impressed me though. First was the two-inch mortar demo in which inert bombs were fired at a sergeant holding an aiming post. If the aim looked too accurate as the bomb curved down towards him, he'd take a couple of steps to one side! (Not a lot of health & safety around back then.) I watched a couple of squaddies recover the bombs afterwards with spades - they'd penetrated the turf by 18 inches, two feet or so - you'd not want one to hit you on the head.

The other demo was pistol shooting by Sergeant so and so, the 'British Army pistol shooting champion' (the PA said) with the 38 cal Enfield revolver. The 'targets' were balloons tacked onto a rectangular column carried out and set upright by two squaddies. ("Bullet proof - no risk to spectators!" said the PA) The sergeant then proceeded to take ever trickier shots, each successful as seen by a bursting balloon, and the big crowd clapped and cheered ever more enthusiastically. The final 6th shot was (roll of drums on the PA) going to be worthy of Annie Oakley as it's to be taken backwards over the shoulder with a mirror. The sergeant gets into a crouch, squirms around, sights, repositions himself a bit more - really lays it on, the crowd stands silent holding its collective breath - AND ...... the balloon bursts without a shot being fired! The 'pistol champion' lets out a roar of fake rage whereupon the 'target holder' sprouts a pair of green trouser legs and ammunition boots and runs off! Well, there was complete silence from the crowd for about two minutes as it sank in they'd been taken for a ride, then somebody laughed and everybody joined in. The two soldiers came back for a bow and got huge applause.

MrMajestic and wbm like this.
  8. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Did you put a quarter in the slot and get the horse moving first?:)

snert, Jalen, simo hayha and 4 others like this.
  9. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Laurie, I've always pictured you as one of "The Kingsmen".. This fits your image to a T. jd:)

Laurie likes this.
  10. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Blame Remington. They haven't EVER successfully released and supported a cartridge despite having the superior design every time. The 244 then 6mm Remington, the 280 then 7mm express, the RSAUMs, and the 260 are great examples of exemplary cartridges that were horribly mistreated, neglected, and then ultimately abandoned. Then Hornady comes along and does everything right, resulting in the Creedmoor actually succeeding and everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

11. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

The question is often asked why didn’t Remchesavage load and promote their cartridge-of-the-month better. “If they had only loaded it with bullet Zer-bang it would be so much better”. Many reasons come to mind...

The latest lamented never-was has been mentioned above, the 260 Remington. There’s a reason it languished. It doesn’t really have much to offer over some other much older cartridges. It was designed for a short action to try to compete with the 270 and other cartridges. The problem is by the time the bulletin gets heavy enough it starts to eat up case volume. The Creed has less of an issue in that regard, but also suffers if bullets get above 140. So the 260 is no better than the 6.5 Swede. The 7-08 is no better than the 7x57 Mauser. The only advantage the 308 based cartridges have is they’ll fit in a short action. Big deal!

Laurie, hogpatrol and simo hayha like this.
  12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Tell me about it. I've owned or own, 6mm Remington, 300 Ultra Mag Remington, 7mm saum, .260 Remington.

I've been shooting 6mm Competition Match since early '07... .308, .243, .223among a few others. A 6.5 Creedmoor is on my list. I just need a barrel to get me started on one of my many Savage actions.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  13. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Having worked for their parent, in my opinion one of the most risk averse companies on the planet, they had good cartridges but the suits, MBAs from the parent company who didn't know sheepshit from shinola about the gun business, held the purse strings.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  14. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons

I'm old school, I have Two 308's and a Ought-6,,, ain't no reason to change things up at this stage of the game.

My extra long heavy F Class rig shoots just fine if I bunker down to read the winds,,, my tactical heavy weight 30/06 is spot on at 400 to 1700 meters even though the bullet is tumbling out of control at that range.

I wrote 6.5 Granola on my hunter class 308 with a Yellow wax crayon a month ago,,, my groups seen a 1/2'' tightening up in the over all spread,,, perhaps there is some truth to the mist-a-logicalical beliefs the 6.5's hold some kind of Black magic woman spirts that we can't see. LOL

Nature Boy, Dgd6mm and 300_whisper like this.
  15. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

I remember some of our best shots in the Marine corp were recruits that had never picked up a rifle in there life but paid close attention in class and on the range

16. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

were you standing on two basketballs or just one....lol

300_whisper and Laurie like this.
  17. 1shot

1shot

Mt Creedmoor story goes a little different that those previously posted. Let me set the stage for you.
    I've be schooling this young man for several years now. He got bitten hard by the PRS bug, and had to have the biggest baddest rifle there ever was, so he created a 338 Rogue. (338 Lapua base cartridge) After a season of being impressed with how it re-arranges the real estate when he missed, he builds a Creedmoor. Season 2 was spent burning up a barrel trying to shoot it loaded to the fringes of hades. Season 3 bbl #2 was where he finally started listening (not just hearing) to another shooter and I. Now he began to understand the limits of the system/cartridge and there isn't anything magical about it and started to apply himself to getting better. Now a couple of more barrels later he is a sponsored shooter, doing quite well on a national level. I 'm happy to have helped in some small way, but he sure did try my patience sometimes!

Lloyd

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Laurie and 300_whisper like this.
  18. Spike A

Spike A Silver $$ Contributor

i will not lie, when i called to order my barrel i wanted a 6.5x47 lapua... i did my homework, first i was thinking 260AI or 6.5x55... than i started leaning on 6.5x47.... i wasnt really opposed to the creeed, but from what people say the lapua has a slight edge... so i called, and he said well.. i dont have any instock and i have a waiting list on the ones that come in... and so on... it would be 2-3 months atleast before he got one to send my way.... so i asked about the 260... nothing... ok how about the creed... yup... ok fine... for 3something, it will give me some practice before i spend a ton on lapua brass and so on... .. and now i have a 6mm bug that i kind of put wanting the lapua on back burner and thinking next year im going to build a 6xc.... but who knows....
    i was at cabelas yesterday, and a guy was looking at a creed and like the rest of you... he starts talking about his buddy having one that is a laser.. its a point and shoot gun he says...:mad::confused:... i laughed with out even thinking .. i walked away while there were looking at me...:oops:

300_whisper likes this.
  19. cotntop

cotntop

Years ago when the CM cartridge was introduced I called my gunsmith and he said he had never built one. After a little thought he built me one and now I am on my third CM. I called him the other day for a little chat and asked him how many creedmoor rifles he had chambered, he replied that it would be easier to count the worn out reamers. We laughed, he remembered trying to talk me out of that round.

300_whisper and Dgd6mm like this.
  20. AJC

AJC

I tried to have that conversation about the sweed vise creed and i could not get the guy to believe me after going over balistics and doing all the direct comparisons i could. I lost out on the ammo availibility off the shelf. That does make a difference.