TAC and 55gr fmj...

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rsadams, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Rsadams

Rsadams

Just wondering how many grains of TAC you guys are useing in your 55 fmj loads for plinking in your M4s..?

I am at 25gr now and no signs , but still a bit slower than a factory .223 much less a 5.56 round.. Tacs data is way hotter than any manual I have.. ( Speer , Hornady or Sierra ).... Not trying to match a 5.56 but a little closer to factory .223 speed would be nice...

Just looking for some real world experience with these short barrel guns... I know there's better powders but I have a bunch of TAC and 55gr fmj so I would like to use the tac up first...

2. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Sierra has a section on "AR15" loads...without giving out any data for your situation or gun, I will say I'm shooting 25gr TAC with a 62gr hpbt and show no pressure at all...my 55gr fmj' s are higher than that, with no pressure...I have 52gr Berger 's at 27.5 gr TAC out of my BOLT GUN.....with no pressure...but as always, YMMV...rsbhunter

Rsadams likes this.
  3. Rsadams

Rsadams

Thanks , I am not looking for data.. just wondering how much some are pushing this load.. With every rifle different the only way is to work up I know that... The Sierra manual if I remember correctly uses a 20 inch barrel AR for testing as does ramshot. So their numbers won't be much good for a 16 inch barrel... I am thinking 26gr is going to be the number for me... Only more testing will find out...

Just looking for real world experience to compare with...

Thanks again for your time
    Shawn

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

I've used TAC mostly with 52 gr. When using 26.4 gr. I was getting light ejector marks on most of the brass and 3376 fps from a 24" bbl AR. Once I got the load increased, I really started liking TAC. I shoot a lot of it on PD's.

Rsadams likes this.
  5. bulwaagh

bulwaagh

25gr TAC under a Hornady 55gr FMJ is what I use. My chrono says that its a 2800fps load where M193 will chrono ~3100. However, in my variety of AR rifles, this is the load that gives me the best accuracy. One of my rifles liked 26.5gr, but in another rifle of mine, it showed pressure signs.
    I'm using mine for trigger time for offhand shooting. I have other loads for more precision/(informal)competition.

Rsadams likes this.
  6. people

people

I do not use TAC but I push my 55gr bullets pretty hard. Even for just blasting ammo. I have tried down loading to save powder but a couple grains per round were not worth it for the degraded performance.

Rsadams likes this.
  7. Rsadams

Rsadams

Thanks again for your help guys... 25 gr is actually we're I was thinking of stopping the es/sd were WAY better than factory range ammo.. But with ageing eyes and iron sights the SD/ES readings are basically just for knowledge at this point...