Switch Barrel ??? Huh?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Rum Punch Colonial, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Rum Punch Colonial

Rum Punch Colonial

I keep reading about folks having Switch Barrels. What are these Gizmo's. Switch Lugs? Is this the same thing as the Tubbs Rifle? This technology might prove to add Accuracy?

2. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

One stock, scope, action, trigger assembly.

Multiple barrels.

It's supposed to be more economical.

And for a hunter it likely is.

If this system is working out for any established competition shooters, I'd like to hear their experiences.

3. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

With appropriate breech notes per assembly-

Fit 1,2,3,4,5 Bbls w/ 1,2,3 bolt face diameters in the same action.

All dimensions held to the tenth(.0001") of which is UN-obtainable from the average 'plumber otherwise it is far from rocket science.

No "NUTS" required for tenth(.0001") repeatability.

Ggmac, Steve morgan and Dusty Stevens like this.
  4. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

In the voice of Robert Duvall :

'Plumbers don't shoot.'

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

As a gunsmith ive built a bunch of them and 100% of the time what it becomes is a rifle in the safe with another barrel leaned up in the corner unused or used once. Its a novelty nobody ever uses on a hunting rifle for sure- folks switch br rifle barrels like underwear

ledward, jimmymac and Clancy like this.
  6. Ksracer

Ksracer

I built 1 rifle with a hand tightened "Switch Lug" setup. It quickly got torqued up like a regular barrel.
    I think the new action on the market that uses set screws driven sideways into the barrel tennon is an even worse design, although I haven't personally tried one, nor do I intend to.
    The Bar-loc from ARC appears to be much better. It at least adds tension to the threads to strengthen the joint.

7. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

You can snug a barrel on a action using a strap wrench and get a pretty good amount of torque.

8. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

1 barrel vice
    1 action wrench
    1 go gauge ( optional )

I have one 6PPC that i switch out to 30 Major to shoot Score if i am not to lazy and just shoot the PPC. Works GREAT.......2 super competitive calibers and just one Bat-Jewell-( Speedy ) McMillan stock to be real familiar with......

Regards
    Rick

Ksracer likes this.
  9. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

I have one action that I shoot .308W, 6BR & 30/284 out of, depending on what match I'm working on at the time. I have another that has individual .308 barrels throated for 155s, 185s & 215s for similar reasons.

10. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 10.5 pound LV 6PPC for group shooting that I've considered turning in to a 6PPC / 30BR switch barrel rig so I can use the 30 in score shooting, but never did anything with it because I'm afraid it will turn in to a bastard that's good at neither.

In my mind, I don't want to shoot the 30BR for score at 10.5 pounds, so that would require adding a removable weight system to bring the gun up to 13.5 pounds in 30BR trim and back down to 10.5 pounds in PPC trim for group shooting.

I know of guys that do this or something similar to this but not sure how well it works out in the end. Thoughts? @Dusty Stevens @gunsandgunsmithing

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  11. boltfluter

boltfluter

Totally agree. I would be embarrassed to offer the set screw design to potential customers. At the other extreme is the ingenious Bar-loc. A brilliant set up.:D:D

Paul

12. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

For F-class, I run a 6 Dasher in mid-range and 284+ for long range. When I go to a major LR match, I switch barrels on the Dasher to make a 2nd 284.

It works well, but it isn't something I do all the time, 2-3 times a year.

13. Dusty Stevens

10749A72-C61B-4269-A46E-E71F9A0376E6.jpeg 1407D2E2-F302-4AAB-BFF4-6219EEC72112.jpeg
    You remember the amphicar? It wasnt a good car or a good boat. The difference between a 10.5 and 13.5 lv/hv isnt a removable weight. The stock is weighted thruout to be right. Here is a pic of a 10.5 stock next to a true hv 13.5 stock. Got the picture from a guy i bought the hv stock from so i apologize for bootlegging the pic ahead of time even tho i own the stock.

alinwa and jimmymac like this.
  14. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks. That is the kind of information I was looking for.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  15. Ken

Ken Silver $$ Contributor

I switch barrels on a Rem 700 occasionally. I have index marks showing where to tighten the barrel too. If the extra barrel is fitted to the common lug seems to work out fine.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  16. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Switching barrels on a nice custom action is fairly easy and straight forward. Switching barrels on a Remington action that doesn’t have a pinned recoil lug is a pain. I have several guns with different barrels for different cartridges. I had 2 Stiller Predator actions matched up so I can switch barrels between them. I bought a Hall actioned rifle that came with barrels in 6ppc and 30br. I don’t switch them like underwear, tho. I usually shoot one barrel for a season then play with another one the next season. None of these guns are hunting rifles. Also, I don’t compete. I just shoot for the fun of it.;)

17. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

this ain't rocket science people. I do not know a short range BR competitor that does not own a barrel vise and an action lug wrench; along with several extra barrels.

Dusty, if you have ever built a 6PPC you know how easy it is to set one up. This is not a trade secret...

18. Ksracer

Ksracer

Pretty sure the OP is referring to the devices allowing a barrel to be swapped with nothing more than an Allen wrench. There have been at least 3 desingns hit the market in the last 2-3 years.

19. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, I know, I have one in 300 and 375 H&H on a commercial FN. It takes about four minutes to swap them out. Two scopes, and I can take it and a DR on big-big and dangerous game hunts with less hassle.

I have seen several that are set up like a Savage 99 TD interrupted thread.

Anybody can do it with a Savage bolt rifle, a couple of different bolt heads, a nut wrench, and go/no go gauges.

20. Dusty Stevens

The last line in my post said br shooters change barrels like underwear my post was steered toward the people that buy like a switch barrel hunting rifle. Nobody hardly ever swaps calibers, contours, stocks all that jazz when they get one built. Ive built em with 3 stocks, 3 barrels and 2 bolts all fitted with barrel vise and action wrench plus training on swapping it all. Talk to em a year later only to find out how big a waste of money it was because it stays in one form the whole time.

alinwa and shortgrass like this.