Suppressor for Hunting & Target Practice

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by treillw, Jun 4, 2019.

1. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

I use a 30 Cal can on my .223 with an adapter for the threading. I can switch between my 223 and 30 easily. As for sound. Kind of sounds like a .22 LR. You just can't do anything with the sonic boom made by the bullet.

2. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like you can purchase the parts ahead of time, you just cannot assemble them until the form 1 is approved.

3. Nightraider

Nightraider

It's legal to own parts that aren't silencer parts, once they have holes in them they're a suppressor.

Regarding the issues of accuracy. If you add a supressor mid load development/ shooting yes, it's going to effect things. If you do load development with the suppressor, there's no issues. I shoot this at 400yd with a can I made on the end of my rifle. Btw do not clip your cones if you're looking for accuracy, if you're looking for quietness then clip them. 20190602_194300.jpg

4. JoeMcNeill

JoeMcNeill Silver $$ Contributor

Who is making legal suppressor kits or parts?
    Regards,

Joe McNeill
    SW Arkansas

5. #40Fan

#40Fan

You can buy all of the parts you need, take them to someone with equipment to bore, clip, cut spacers as long as you are there the whole time. This is after you receive an approved Form 1.

Diversified Machine for tubes, end caps, spacers or even complete kits. SDTA for tubes and endcaps. Totality Industries for cones, spacers.

Come find me on the form1suppressor.board for DHC guide tools and cone holders.

No accuracy issues with my clipped cones. First time I even heard that. POI issues, possibly. But there is weight out on the end of the barrel. I had a 1" drop of POI installing the can onto the gun pictured in the video on page 1.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Evlshnngns likes this.
  6. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone that can do the work near Clarksville,TN?

7. Nightraider

Nightraider

This isn't true, this is infact is manufacturing and is strictly forbidden by the atf. You have to compete the item on machines you own. The ruling was passed down circa 2009.

8. Nightraider

Nightraider

9. treillw

treillw

So most people say that there is a POI shift when you take the can off and just use the adapter muzzle brake. My question is does the rifles tuning change? ie) if you have a load developed that shoots .5 moa with the can on, will that same load shoot 1.5 moa with the can off?

Is is better to develop a load while using the can or the brake?

Lastly, where is the best place to buy a TBAC can and brakes? Bargains are one of the things I most enjoy hunting for. I think I remember seeing some black friday sales last year? Anything worth waiting for?

Thank you all for your help.

10. #40Fan

#40Fan

11. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Hardest part is finding a dealer with TBAC’s in stock. Once you find one you better buy it. Rarely will you find one at a discount unless you keep a real close eye on gunbroker or a dealer blowing them out. TBAC has done a group guy in the past but then you have to wait even longer for the can and to start the paper work. Haven’t seen one of those since 2017. And I don’t expect one soon since they are like 6 month backed up. I have purchased from Silencer shop and two online dealers. Then had those shipped into a local silencer shop kiosk for the transfer.

12. #40Fan

#40Fan

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-6/download

Page 38.

13. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, the tuning will change.

It has been my experience multiple times over that if you develop a load with a can on, and then remove it, the groups will open up significantly. It'll go from doing .5MOA to 3MOA etc.

If you develop a load with the can off, and then screw it on, the groups will usually remain the same, or even get a little better.

The POI will shift with all of them; with most modern cans it won't move all that much , and the shift will be very repeatable & consistent. Barrel contour and material also play a part in this. I haven't personally tested, but I'm guessing a carbon fiber varmint contour barrel would shift more than a stainless straight 1.25" tube. For reference, if I attach my SiCo Omega to a 'Sendero' contour stainless barrel, it'll move it about 1 MOA up at 100.

14. Nightraider

Nightraider

15. Nightraider

Nightraider

20190605_213629.jpg

eric32 likes this.
  16. #40Fan

#40Fan

I show you proof from the NFA handbook and ask you to show me something from the ATF that proves your statement and your response is a picture of a business card. You're stating that your facts are from a "circa 2009" and yet the NFA handbook was last reviewed in 2016.

Is that your business card? Or at some point in your life you were visited by the ATF?

I really hope that business card isn't you. The lack of knowledge from an ATF agent on the laws they are supposed to know would be scary if it was.

I dropped an email to the NFA last night and this was their response. Enough for you to know that I know what I am talking about? You can email them yourself if you don't believe me.

[​IMG]

17. Nightraider

Nightraider

That business card isn't mine, it's the agents that magically appeared on my doorstep. I'll save your email, thanks for that, but it should be noted the discombobulation that's being shown by the atf that will more than likely receive you a visit like I recieved. Emails are one thing but an agent standing in your house is another.

18. #40Fan

#40Fan

Keep it within the laws and stay safe.

Remember that they work for us and they are there to help. Ask questions if unsure about something.