SuperFormance powder

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rock Knocker, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Rock Knocker

Rock Knocker Site $$ Contributor

I was looking through the cabelas shooting catalog and was amazed to see that Hodgdon offers their the superformance powder. I didnt think the powder was sold outside of hornadys new line of ammo, or that they would use the same powder throughout all the calibers of their new line.

I was wondering what it could be compared to or what it would be good in.

2. necchi

necchi Site $$ Contributor

It's aonly been out for a couple months at best. I've seen plenty of guy's talking about it and all the company hype, but haven't seen or heard any reviews of practical use as yet, maybe it's just not out on the shelf yet, and form most of us in "Northern winter mode" it's not been fun for shooting out there since before Christmas,,

Gotta kind of give guys a chance to use it,, :)

3. Rock Knocker

I may have to give it a try. I will be picking up my 260AI barrel next week and waiting on a shipment of Berger 140s, the rest of the reloading supplies for the caliber will be picked up quick.

I think it would be cool to get maybe some velocity increases like say R19 with the temperature stability of something like varget.

I would need a chrono to see the difference... so a lota good i can do :p

4. jbarnwell

jbarnwell Site $$ Contributor

I was speaking with a Hodgdon Rep. at one of the recent wholesale shows, and I may have some bad news for you. This release of SuperFormance powder is but one blend of many that Hodgdon uses for its SuperFormance line of ammunition. You need to look at Hodgdon's web site to see which cartridges they recommend for this powder. Hodgdon released a blend that would fit as many calibers as possible, but it does not cover all they have in the Superformance line.

Jarvis

5. Rock Knocker

after doing some investigating i found pretty much the same thing. It seems it would be a good choice for 30cal and 7mm magnums and short mags, 243 was listed as being a good one and even as low as 22-250. Never saw anything listed for more standard cartidges like 30-06 and 308 but it sounds like it should fit in there with proper barrel lengths.

I figured that a 260AI has to fall somewhere between a 243 and a 300wsm, so i may have to give it a try still. I havent found anything about tempurature stability though, and shooting in MN gives a hell of a lot of variation within a year and doing constant load developement sounds sucky so i look for temp stability.

6. necchi

necchi Site $$ Contributor

" and shooting in MN gives a hell of a lot of variation within a year and doing constant load developement sounds sucky so i look for temp stability."

Ya Man!
    I stick with Hodgdons "Extreme" powders, Varget and H4895 have me covered pretty good 223- 7-08- 308. No complaints here, I like to work'm up in the spring and fall if possible in the 35-50 degree range, as it's just more comfortable at the range and easy on the barrel heating issues. But my favored loads still show good groupings from 20-80*.
    Might mess with some of the ball powders this season just to see if I can get a good load that meter's better.

7. Rock Knocker

Ive been shooting varget in my 223 all winter, i havent used a chrono yet but the result have been good, best with BR4 primers. Varget sounds like it can be a viable option in a 260AI, esspecially with a 30" barrel. I would like to try some R17 and R19 just to see what i can get but consistancy is more important than velocity right now.

Ive also heard good things about ramshots TAC in 223 ARs, i will have to try that also but my load developement has slowed down much more sence starting to put together this bench gun.

8. 280man

280man Site $$ Contributor

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek046/

Rock Knocker if you haven't read this article do so. Lots of great info about 260AI from one of the best Mr.Terry Cross

I wouldnt worry about that last ounce of speed. Use one of Hodgdon's normal powders like H4350.

9. Rock Knocker

I have read the article and was probley the last article i read before i made the call to go with a 260AI instead of 6.5x284. Im very excited about finnishing this gun, i am picking up the barrel next friday.

4350 seems like "without a doubt" way to go for this round and it and a little test with the varget i already have will be among the first rounds i make for it.

10. txsendero

txsendero

Hodgdon has a link to some loading data for a few calibers on their website, heres the link

http://hodgdon.com/PDF/SuperLever.pdf

It is not classified as one of their "Extreme" line of powders that are supposed to be more temp tolerant.

11. Larryh128

Larryh128 Site $$ Contributor

From what I can see in the data, It's a little slower powder than RL-17. Takes about 4-5 grs more to achieve the same velocity in a 300 WSM. Should be great for the longer mags.

12. RonAKA

RonAKA

13. zcrackshot

zcrackshot Site $$ Contributor

I just picked up Hodgdon's new 2011 Reloading manual and it has very limited info on the Superformance powder. It does however state that the limited info on the powder is due to limited testing and that using it in any calibers other than the ones listed could be VERY dangerous. I'm sure they're just trying to cover their butts in case somebody screws up but I for one will just wait until they have screwed up their own guns and brass in testing it before I'll do the same. I'll admit I like to try new things but am also weary of venturing beyong OBVIOUS WARNINGS. It shows the stuff working great in 22-250 with 60 and 70 grainers, 243 win with lighter 70-75 grainers, 243 and 25 WSSM's, 300 RCM's with 150 and 165 grainers, and 300 WSM's with 150 and 160 grainers. They say in the article that the powder is very specific in it's functional applications and not to attempt to just throw it in and give it a try in any cartridges other than those listed. When the author of the article wanted to try it in his 6mm rem Ron Reiber of Hodgdon emphatically said not too! That's good enough for me, I'll wait. :)

14. Rock Knocker

Anyone try this stuff yet? I would like to give it a try in 260AI.

15. coyoteklr

coyoteklr Guest

on their burn rate table it is fairly slow but from what i have experimented with it is actually closer to h4350 but that is not written in stone and it will probably not be the same for your rifle.....beware........beware......
    it works very good in 243 ackley and plain 6mm...... i prefer ramshot big game in the 22-250 over the superformance......but thats just me......
    western powders in miles city montana had some mite check with them.....if you go to ramshot web the contact infor will be there........

16. Rock Knocker

Im using r19 right now. it seems R19, ramshot hunter and H4350 are right around the same burn rate.

Im shooting 140g bullets through 30" barrel so slow is good. Im getting right about 3000fps with 47.4gr R19. Im not looking for more speed just some other choices if i want to move from r19.

17. joed49

joed49

I have heard of the Superperformance powder but I don't really see any information on it other than a blurb on Hodgdon's site. I think I'll wait a bit before I even think about trying it.

18. Rock Knocker

Yeah there is almost nothing out there about it, thats why i keep bringing this thread back to see if anyone has given it a whirl.

19. joed49

joed49

My take on it is unless Hodgdon wants to supply me with info on the powder I won't buy that product. I think it's extremely odd that I've heard of this powder months ago but haven't seen anything from Hodgdon. They will have to do better then a blurb about it to get me buying.

I'm looking at the new IMR 8208 and 4007. At least they put data out there for those 2.

20. Rock Knocker

Maybe hopeing the name will sell it?