Suhl 150

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Chris Covell, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I am thinking of selling some of my Smith and Wesson revolver collection to get started in Rimfire Bench rest. Someone suggested a Suhl 150 with a bench rest stock would be a good starting point. Is this a good idea? I have a new T36 that needs a rifle to go on. Thanks in advance, Chris.

2. Hippy

Hippy

The issue with the Suhl is their factory barrels--the twist rates varied from 16-19" . Parts availability both replacement and aftermarket is another big issue granted they are good shooters for a Factory rifle and small Club shoots.
    IMHO you would be further ahead starting with either a 40X or a Annie-or as the saying goes "Buy once ,Cry Once" and buy/build rifle with a Kustom action .

Good Luck

Jim

3. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

I am only going to shoot a club match once a month. With my Viper SS, and new Stolle 6BR builds, I'm kind of tapped out.

4. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

If I were to go with the Anschutz, what model?

5. Intell

Intell

Most of the suhls that done well in Benchrest had the actions threaded and custom barrels installed on them. They do have a pretty good factory trigger. I once bought five at the same time and every single one had a different twist rate. 18 1/2 T, 18T, 17 3/4T, 17T and a 161/2T. I've heard of some being as slow as 19T. For club level it would just depend on if you pick a good one, some were great, some were just okay.

6. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Suhl 150 was a clone from the Eastern side of the wall. They were copies of the of the Annies of the time. When the wall came down they were sued by Anschutz and had to stop making them. As stated, decent rifle, but hard to work with since they are now a bespoke company and not making these. Suhl BTW is the town's name where they are made.

7. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

So the actions did not come threaded?

8. Tim s

Tim s

Not for nothing but most of these actions and modified guns have been around for a long, long time and your chancees of finding one that is not long in the tooth or messed up along the way are slim to none.
    If you want to get started, either go to a match and start looking or look for a decent used purpose built gun. They are out there and usually available for decent money, which will save you in the end as well as likely chasing your tail until you're frustrated.
    The old axiom about guys only parting with junk is pure BS.
    start watching classifieds on BRC, a lot of good equipment passes hands there,

9. Chris Covell

Chris Covell

Thank you!