Suggestions please old school or new

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Nortwr99, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Nortwr99

Nortwr99

I am looking for suggestions. My father used to shoot high school sharp shooter competitions in Illinois back in they day. 1960s. Rifle was a Remington 513t. He always regrets selling the 22lr. He is now retiring and I am looking for a retirement present for him. He will be using the new gun on a fairly regular basis to teach his grandchildren how to shoot as they come of age. I have about $600. Should I look for a 513t or am I better off getting something new? Will the 513t need continual maintenance? If new any suggestions?

2. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Will this be for Open Sight 50 foot rim fire? I found all my old metals from when I was 10 or so and shot 50 foot rim fire competition, with an old Mossberg Target 22 LR with peep target sights.

I have one of the new Savage S/S Rim Fires with the laminated thumbhole stock that I use for my daughter and will be handed down to my grand daughter. It shoot great too.

Bob

3. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

Personally I would get him the 513.It will mean more to him with you remembering what he shot.Some of the best Remys were the teen series.Just be glad he didn't shoot a 37 or Winnie 52.

earlcurtis67 likes this.
  4. vahena

vahena Bob Schultz Gold $$ Contributor

A 513 T is a younger shooters rifle, good choose, I gave my mint 513T with irons and a period correct scope to my son for his children.
    Rob

Milo 2.0 and mikeinct like this.
  5. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

Rem 513's are a good, solid starter target rifle. They can shoot surprising well with good ammo.The triggers are the only weak point, they only go down to 2.5 or so lbs but are reliable. No more maintainence than anything else. Find a nice clean one that hasn't been dinked with. They're out there.

mikeinct likes this.
  6. GotRDid

GotRDid

Lots of them have popped up for sale on the CMP Classifieds in the recent past; perhaps post a WTB ad there?
    I shot a Win 75 and Win 52 at Ft.Knox HS, then an Anschutz 64 (Savage import) for a few matches before switching to a Rem 40X Standard bbl and finally a Rem 40X Heavy for the remainder of my Jr/Sr years at Jesse Stuart HS in SW Lou, KY.
    I bought a Win 52, Rem 40X SB, and Rem 40X HB through the CMP when all Marksmanship programs at HS and College teams switched to Precision Air Rifle programs.
    I’m still seeking a Win 75, just to complete my nostalgic road trip.
    I am reminded of those wonderful experiences of traveling and shooting around KY, IN and So OH and that era of craftsmen that built those fine rifles.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89

GotRDid.

7. GotRDid

GotRDid

8. GotRDid

GotRDid

9. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

513 parts are found at Numrich. I had one, liked it a lot, sold it to a guy whose mom shot one in competition as a youth. He loves it. She loves it. Glad I could help him out.

GotRDid likes this.
  10. Chief 101

Chief 101

He already had the old one, get him something new, for 600 bucks you should be able to find something real nice...