Subsonic 300 blackout balistic help

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by P1ZombieKiller, Dec 30, 2014.

1. gary0529

gary0529

I too find that somewhere in the 1" at 100 yards is quite attainable.
    Since it is a "put a deer in the freezer" gun and most shots are well within 100 yards that is more than adequate precision for me.
    I induce more error in shooting offhand than that :)
    I did dispatch a colony of beavers in my pond last year with it and that did require a bit more accuracy but it was at no more than 40 or 50 yards. Pretty amazing what a 178 gr. Lehigh does to a beaver - even traveling at 1050 fps I get massive destruction and instant kill.
    Anyway, I digress. To get back to your original question, about 1 inch is as good as it gets with heavy subsonics.

Enjoy!

Gary

2. XTR

XTR

I think shooting subs you should seriously look into casting. I'm set up to cast for my 45-70s so it's just a mould for me, but it seems to make a ton of sense.

3. dixiecricket

dixiecricket

Why bother with second turret? try dialing on the elevation you need for the sub load, then use your mil dots for elevation holds in the field. Get the dope, make a little mIL holdover table, tape it to the stock behind the tang so you can see from behind the scope. Or tape to underside of scope cap. much faster, and you are less likely to lose count of clicks or leave on the wrong elevation.

swapping turrets will make you want to reshoot for zero ckeck.

4. P1ZombieKiller

P1ZombieKiller Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure I want a "SECOND" turret more than I want to "REPLACE" the current turret. If I can get a turret that says "50, 72, 83, 94, 102, 118, 127..... instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...etc... " it might make it easier.

Trouble is, I am shooting 208 AMAX now (and those have been discontinued). Don't want to get a turret made for a projectile that I cant buy. Some told me the Hornady 208 ELD shoot the same in their gun. And since this is a subsonic hunting gun, my accuracy expectations are not the same as my competition bench gun.
    I did some testing at the deer camp a few weeks ago, and out to 115ish... amax and Lehighs shot very similar. However at 200, the Amax was pretty close to what my chart said they would be. but at 200 yards, the Lehighs were significantly lower (meaning missed my steel target all together on the low side) when the AMAX was still hitting the middle of the plate. I do not want to hunt deer with subsonic AMAX.... Only a bullet that is designed to open up at subsonic speeds (like Lehigh).

Even though the test was not what I was hoping... it was a blast as I found myself with a new portable shooting rest.

[​IMG]

5. dixiecricket

dixiecricket

ahh. you already have a turret with different holdovers.

What I meant was use a generic turret, and use your reticle for holdovers; you would not dial on elevation after zeroing it for the base zero distance you want.

6. NZVarminter

NZVarminter

might be worth taking a look at the Hawke Chairgun ballistics app. Its written primarily for airgun pellets which are subsonic and one great feature is the ability to generate custom turret labels. It also handles centrefire projectiles so might do what you want.