Stretched my PD record out to 2200 yards with witness...

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by lrgoodger, Jun 17, 2017.

1. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I simply say congratulations to you sir. That is quite an accomplishment. There is always jealousy to appear in any game from some. I don't care how many shots it took you, that is big deal. One of the fun things about hunting is the memories made.

6MMsteve, pacificman and ttfreestyle like this.
  2. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

??????
    Picture 006.jpg

3. timeout

Love your avitar Steve! I like John Deere tractors, Ford trucks, and July hounds but not necessarily in that order. :D

6MMsteve likes this.
  4. waterfwlr

waterfwlr

Congrats. That is not easy, don't care how many shots. I've shot them at a measley 1200 plus with my 6-284 and Dasher. That was tough enough. Can't image twice that.

5. pauls

pauls

Oh, too, by the way, nice shooting lrgoodger.

6. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

I can see the effort required, and the overall fun factor of p-doggin', but let's be realistic here. There gets to a point where any confidence in hit probability ends, and pure luck takes over. In the case of a 10" tall, 4" wide p-dog, that point is well inside of 2200yds. And that's not even factoring in environmental conditions...

Now before I get piled on...think of this analogy.

If one of you BR guys took ~50rds to finally hit the "X-ring" at any given distance, would anyone be lining up to offer that shooter a trophy?
    Would any fellow BR competitors respond to that dismal 'on target' performance with "nice shooting!"???

I seriously doubt it.

Likewise, consider the average hunter who takes pride in making that FIRST shot count. Not the 2nd, and certainly not the 44th.
    If you knew someone who whiffed shot after shot at a critter, but finally hit it....would you be offering congratulations?

I'd think not.

That said, what makes lobbing projectiles from an ungodly distance at a varmint any different?

I can congratulate the shooter on a beautiful rifle, and even more so for re-acquainting with an old friend to enjoy the day with! THAT's what its all about!!! If braggin' up connecting on a shot that is mainly attributed to pure luck somehow adds to that experience, then glad you got the chance to do so...

ChrisNZ likes this.
  7. dragman

dragman Gold $$ Contributor

Great shooting. target that small at that distance is a great accomplishment. One shot kills out to 1000 or so is one thing, but on something that small at those distances is basically impossible.

8. waterfwlr

waterfwlr

Was there luck involved in making shots at that distance?, yes. But not all luck. There is a lot of skill and knowing your equipment involved as well.

9. Varmint Shooter

Varmint Shooter

It is my opinion and mine only, people who post their yardage shots are just wanting to
    brag about distance, be padded on the back, and have their ego's stroked. You see it
    on every forum.

TheOtherZilla likes this.
  10. powderbrake

powderbrake Silver $$ Contributor

Possibly so, but I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I make a long Prairie Dog shot, and even more so on a first shot hit. I have been doing it long enough to know how hard it is, and I hope to make a 1000 yard shot someday. This forum is a place where we come to discuss accuracy, and hopefully in a atmosphere of camaraderie, so an "atta boy" should be welcomed and appreciated.

So lets not second guess the OP's posting, go try it for yourself.

11. markT

markT

Absolutely amazing!! Well done sir..
    Just for curioustity sake, did you go see the critter / able to find it? I would interested in knowing where you hit him and what the bullet did..
    I shot one at 739 yards with a 22-250 / 50 gr Vmax. The little booger still had some life in him when we went to look for him. My witness said "we can wait to let him bleed out or I can step on him. Guess what we did?

12. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

thCAG27VK0.jpg what's wrong with getting it done

6.5creed likes this.
  13. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Absolutely, been there & got the t-shirt. That's precisely where my opinion was formed...from experience.

Here's a 730yder, 39Bliltzking out of a puny .20TAC.
    You can see shooting position in the background, those little humps are pickup trucks & a camper ;)
    [​IMG]
    We shot a LOT of p-dogs in the 350-650yd range...IMHO a realistic range for 1st rd."make-able" shots on p-dogs.

Here's an instance that comes to mind. A couple days prior to that pic, there was a monster p-dog roaming around in the ~1160yd range. Just looked like a honeydew melon out there in the flat! I was trying my darndest to hit that sucker, but misses were all around it. Don't need to explain what a breath of Wyoming breeze will do to a 39BK past 1100yds. Or, a what few FPS change in velocity does to bullet drop. Point being: both of those variable obviously cannot be controlled by the shooter...
    Soooooooo, story goes like this:

I gave up trying to hit that sucker after about 10 shots.
    WHY, you ask???
    Simply because I realized that actually hitting the darned thing would be nothing more than a lucky combination of wind call, group dispersion, and timing of the shot.
    In plain words...PURE LUCK.

Again, "attaboys" all around for having fun with a buddy! But, let's keep the shot itself in context here, gents.

If there are shooters here who honestly believe that a 4" round circle (generous for a p-dog) is a target that can be realistically engaged @ 1.25 MILES, then I think you've watched the movie "Shooter" once too many times...
    [​IMG]

ChrisNZ, drags, dragman and 1 other person like this.
  14. milo-2

milo-2 Gold $$ Contributor

How was the range ever figured or calculated on this shot?

15. VaRandy

VaRandy

With all the time and money I have spent on the long range game, I appreciate an attaboy from time to time from my peers I would accept them from strangers but that would not mean much, Of course it is about stroking your ego!

16. lrgoodger

lrgoodger

I walk in a couple of shots to get the range. I have developed a drop chart for my round and I can guess he is approximately 2000 yards out, so I hold for that. The first shot is short, of course, but with the benchrest setup I just put the crosshairs back on the mound and then click down to the point of impact. That will get you very close for the second shot.

My typical method of confirming kill distance is to park the van half way and laser in both directions and add them together.

There is another very accurate way if you know how to use google maps. Here is an example. Install Google Maps if you don't already have it and go to 38 degrees 05' 16.43" N by 101degrees 55' 36.81" W just North of highway 50 in Western Kansas near the Colorado border. Zoom in to an eye altitude of about 4000 ft. and you will see you are at the intersection of Rd. G and a field lane. The coordianets are on a large rock or clump of sagebrush at an altitude of 3506 ft. This is where you set up your bench. Now lets say you are shooting at the mound at 38 degrees 04' 53.13" N by 101 degrees 55' 02.38" W at an altitude of 3447 ft. Your bench is 50 ft. higher, so you should be able to see it. It is just right of a group of rocks from you shooting position, so it is easy to locate on the map. Resolution on google maps is so good you can see the hole near the center of most mounds in the area. Now, go to the "add path" function on the toolbar at the top of the map and click it. It will pop up a new path window. In that window, click the measurements tab and set it to yards. Now click on your bench location and then go click on the target mound. You should see a distance of 2262 yards.

This is the method I used to range my 2200 yard hit, and I used a conservative distance to make sure I wasn't overestimating it. We were able to precisely locate our bench and the target mound. When shooting at that kind of distance, I am not concerned with having an exact yardage. Plus or minus ten yards is not a big deal out there, but the google maps app is much more accurate than that. Another item of note is that the bench was set up in exactly the same location it was when I made my 1820 yard kill in May 2014. We could tell the 2200 yard mound was considerably further, which is why I was shooting at it.

17. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

My hunting partner and I have confirmed kills out to 2218. I have congratulated IRGOODGER on his accomplishments in a pm. I find it hard to keep my mouth shut on some of the people here that totally dismiss what has been done. The time and effort it takes to do this is alot. Whether it took 2 shoots or 50 shots doesn't really matter, he still did it. We shot out to 3600 yds we never killed at that distance but I know for a fact that once on target we could have hit a person 7 out of 10 shots. Once the wind would change you could be as much as 60 YARDS off. It took 9.5 seconds to get to 3300 yds lots of time for stuff to change, pds to move etc. We used a Garmin Etrex gps, most times accurate to with 25 feet or less. If you have never tried it you don't know how much fun it is. I know for sure that you will never hit that 4" circle at those distances on a regular basis but to even hit once or twice is a accomplishment.
    Hell for those of you that think you are good I challenge you to come to my steel plate shoot and hit my 4" circle at 810 yds. We shoot 10 shots at it and no one has hit more than 6 times during a match. That person is probably the best shot I know. I have also seen him shoot a match and not hit it once.

6.5creed likes this.
  18. timeout

Opinions are just like noses, everyone has one and is entitled to it. Now if you don't have anything good to say.........

people and 6.5creed like this.
  19. 6.5creed

6.5creed Silver $$ Contributor

Tough crowd! Some of the comparisons being made here are ridiculous.

timeout likes this.
  20. Hal

Hal

There is ALOT of good information here. Thanks for sharing .
    I might have to come out of the stone age and upgrade my flip phone. :)

Hal