Stock design?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by TrxR, Jul 11, 2019.

1. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds good to me! I don't think a little weight is gonna make or break anyone but does or can keep joe blow new shooter from being able to get his feet wet in our game.

p.s.---I think the same way about barrel contours. Why have a max contour when weight is the real determining factor in what contour you will wind up using.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Make it 22lbs so a guy with an F Open rig can swap barrels or just shoot for fun.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

We need another class that can shoot at the same time. Like a factory class and a custom class shot concurrently with the varmint classes. The guy with the bdl 22-250 needs to be able to shoot during the match and also needs to be able to actually compete. 23lb limit, tapered barrel and no one piece rest is a good class

gunsandgunsmithing and swadiver like this.
  4. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

I don't think weight is much of an advantage as you said. just thinking of where to pull shooters from without much of a jump. like having to build a whole rifle to play. I guess more of an issue at this point would be to get h.v. and sporter 2 guns...at some point the expense will need to be addressed....

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  5. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I agree but I think there will be a lot of opposition to the idea and I think it will hurt or possibly even kill hv class.

6. gunsandgunsmithing

Tuners changed my way of looking at this a bit. I'm satisfied that to a large degree, a heavier tuner is worthwhile. Not saying that light ones don't also work, though and there is a limit to that statement as a tuner can be too heavy and cause problems with consistent accuracy. But, There's a lot of latitude before that happens...i.e. about 12 ozs max for typical br contours.

The problem is adding weight at the muzzle almost certainly requires some weight at the butt, too...for good handling. Now you can get into problems with overall weight when you start having to put weight in both ends of the gun. I don't think that a 15lb gun will out shoot a 10.5 but it CAN be made to handle much better, which translates to the same thing, in the end. I know there are still some that don't believe in tuners or whatever, and may always be that be. I'm not one of those people though and I've seen the value of tuners, both light and heavy. I think we are very near the point where a tuner is as much a part of a new br build as a stock and a trigger. That said, more generous weight limits would give us more room to experiment, learn and advance the game. Maybe not just with tuners, per se...maybe with other damping means or what have you. We all want the same things..perfect scores and zero aggs! A couple of lbs shouldn't be what holds us back in the search for even better accuracy, imo.