Stock bedding

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by avidflyer, Jan 12, 2018.

1. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

22DASHER likes this.
  2. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I have done the exact same test with one of my rifles that was bedded by one of the “best”. Had two other rifles with me on a day of shooting that were inletted to also fit that rifle and only had pillars. Removed both stocks and tested them in the barreled action with a bedded stock. My results mirrored those in the article.... no change what so ever! Some times people just have to test more and read less...

3. chop house

chop house

it was mentioned in the article that, at least originally, the receiver inlet matched the radius.

1. never having sprung for a mcmillian, have they retained the radius or gone more to a v-block? (i am under the assumption that the v-block accomodates manufacturing tolerances better, as well as providing clearance for skim bedding, if so desired.)

2. although not stated, the tests were certainly conducted with trued actions/lugs. i wonder if the more 'out' the lug is, the more the results are 'not valid'.

thoughts?

300_whisper likes this.
  4. T 700

T 700 Silver $$ Contributor

That was a interesting read, I've always thought the pillers was the most important part of bedding a stock but it doesn't hurt to cradle the action all the way around to be on the safe side! Hard to argue with people that's made stocks as long as McMillan has. I will have to test that soon.

5. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor

I've only tested a hunting rifle with 3 different stocks. Pillar bedded, Glassed, and with Aluminum bed.
    I shot Five 5-shot groups in each stock, measured all groups and averaged them.

Couldn't pick a winner.

But I never done this test with a benchrest gun.

6. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I should also note that my test was with my most accurate varmint rifle, not a BR/comp rifle... For BR I would always bed no matter what.

300_whisper likes this.
  7. Someoldguy

Someoldguy

Anyone ever win a bench rest match with an un-bedded rifle?

I've no idea, ergo, my question.

Perhaps it's like many other things. Meaning, it matters after a certain point. (?)

8. Intheshop

Intheshop Silver $$ Contributor

I've been dinking around with cheap pos injection stocks ever since they came out.Interesting,because making handlaid CF stocks is well within our shop capabilities.Or wood,yadayada.So,I get this X7 Marlin .308 to use as a spraybomb cast bullet,rig.It's got the Tupperware stock.......instead of the usual,how much time can I waste on this stock approach.I shoved a cpl biz cards under the action at the front screw.Figured once it "proofs"(is it gonna shoot or sh't),I'll stiffen it up.......those cards are still,cough cough,in there.Wouldn't believe the groups so won't post but,it's been a solid killing machine,day in/out.