Stock bedding

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by avidflyer, Jan 12, 2018.

1. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

270WinDude and 22DASHER like this.
  2. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I have done the exact same test with one of my rifles that was bedded by one of the “best”. Had two other rifles with me on a day of shooting that were inletted to also fit that rifle and only had pillars. Removed both stocks and tested them in the barreled action with a bedded stock. My results mirrored those in the article.... no change what so ever! Some times people just have to test more and read less...

DickE, boltfluter, hogpatrol and 3 others like this.
  3. chop house

chop house

it was mentioned in the article that, at least originally, the receiver inlet matched the radius.

1. never having sprung for a mcmillian, have they retained the radius or gone more to a v-block? (i am under the assumption that the v-block accomodates manufacturing tolerances better, as well as providing clearance for skim bedding, if so desired.)

2. although not stated, the tests were certainly conducted with trued actions/lugs. i wonder if the more 'out' the lug is, the more the results are 'not valid'.

thoughts?

New Gun and 300_whisper like this.
  4. T 700

T 700 Silver $$ Contributor

That was a interesting read, I've always thought the pillers was the most important part of bedding a stock but it doesn't hurt to cradle the action all the way around to be on the safe side! Hard to argue with people that's made stocks as long as McMillan has. I will have to test that soon.

5. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor

I've only tested a hunting rifle with 3 different stocks. Pillar bedded, Glassed, and with Aluminum bed.
    I shot Five 5-shot groups in each stock, measured all groups and averaged them.

Couldn't pick a winner.

But I never done this test with a benchrest gun.

6. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I should also note that my test was with my most accurate varmint rifle, not a BR/comp rifle... For BR I would always bed no matter what.

DickE and 300_whisper like this.
  7. Intheshop

Intheshop Silver $$ Contributor

I've been dinking around with cheap pos injection stocks ever since they came out.Interesting,because making handlaid CF stocks is well within our shop capabilities.Or wood,yadayada.So,I get this X7 Marlin .308 to use as a spraybomb cast bullet,rig.It's got the Tupperware stock.......instead of the usual,how much time can I waste on this stock approach.I shoved a cpl biz cards under the action at the front screw.Figured once it "proofs"(is it gonna shoot or sh't),I'll stiffen it up.......those cards are still,cough cough,in there.Wouldn't believe the groups so won't post but,it's been a solid killing machine,day in/out.

New Gun and Bc'z like this.
  8. Terry_M

Terry_M

Have any of you ever bedded your entire stock? I mean action and barrel all the way to the end of the fore end of the stock? If not have you seen it done? On a bench rest gun I mean.

9. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

No

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Bedded barrels were tried. They went out of style just about the time neck sizing did. Poi shift had to have been brutal during barrel heating

J Fogg and DT like this.
  11. jr600yd

jr600yd

I bedded a Remy 700 BDL stock all the way once. It was a /06 hunting rifle with the factory barrel and originally it shot around the 3/4 inch. To make a long story short it didn’t shoot worth s#@t after the bedding job. Removed the bedding forward of the recoil lug and free floated the barrel. Shoots a lot better now.

12. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

The last rifle I full length bedded was a Mannlicher to help with the shifting of that long front end..
    But it was floated full length too...

13. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

I had the exact same results with 3 that I pillar bedded (Devcon) over the last few years. No change in group size.

On a Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger with a varmint barrel contour the POI did shift over 6 inches when I removed the factory pressure point near the end of the forearm.

14. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

New McMillan stocks come with a radius cut by CNC that matches the action. My last two have been shootable without bedding. I changed recoil lug designs on my rifles, so I bedded both of them.

riverwolf1 and chop house like this.
  15. TippyRacer

TippyRacer

Good article/blog that you linked to at McMillan, thanks. But what I actually found most interesting was the family history, included the passing mention of a huge falling out between the brothers Gale and Pat.
    Anyone know more of that story? Other than the implied “The next morning Gale jumped in the car, drove to Pat’s house where the shop was, only to find his tool box on the front porch. Gale knew what that meant. He didn’t even go inside

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF

1. All our stocks are CNC Inletted for each specific action. We do not use V block, Bedding Blocks, or molded inserts.
    2. Carl used his gun, I'm not aware of the specs. Most of the guys here also did the same tests with our own rifles, mine being Savage, and had the same experience.

17. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I think if the inlet is good, you wont see a huge accuracy change. If its binding the action or loose you will. The recoil lug needs to be in contact with something, screws dont make good recoil lugs. Actions can bend enough to un seat a lug without much effort. Now, if we are talking BR level accuracy, I see accuracy differences just in bedding techniques alone. It does matter, but how much and if you will see it depends on a lot of variables.