Sticky bolt, feed issues, & case marking on 300 WM

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Lynn313, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Lynn313

Lynn313 Silver $$ Contributor

Monday I received rifle back from gunsmith. 300 WM, blueprinted REM 700, BDL floorplate with Wyatt box, Bartlein 1-10 match chambered 26” barrel, CE trigger, A3-5 adj stock. I could hardly work bolt it was so sticky. It looked like to much cerakote inside action. I cleaned, lubed and cycled it has gotten better, but still not smooth. I’m up to about 500 bolt cycles now.

On shooting I discovered it wouldn’t feed unless I ran bolt over top of rounds, closed, pulled bolt back, then push bolt forward. Then the round would come up cocked to high at tip. It will load or jam about 50/50% of time. Advice on how to correct?

Doing case prep today I saw a longitudinal scratch on shoulder & dimple at shoulder/body junction. What could cause this? Serious or not serious?

There is also uneven wear on bolt. Pics included. Should I expect this on a blueprinted action? Indicates any kind of problem?

The gunsmith built this right before an operation and isn’t available for comment. I am concerned though because he said he shot it 20 to 30x’s before sending it. I’ve really enjoyed working with him, but don’t understand my being sent rifle without a heads up.

Appreciate all help. This is rifle i’m hoping to use on a Colorado elk hunt this fall.

upload_2019-4-4_21-33-11.jpeg

upload_2019-4-4_21-34-13.jpeg

upload_2019-4-4_21-36-26.jpeg

upload_2019-4-4_21-37-16.jpeg

upload_2019-4-4_21-38-59.jpeg

upload_2019-4-4_21-33-11.jpeg upload_2019-4-4_21-34-13.jpeg upload_2019-4-4_21-36-26.jpeg upload_2019-4-4_21-37-16.jpeg upload_2019-4-4_21-38-59.jpeg

Thanks, Lynn

2. Roeder

Roeder Silver $$ Contributor

From what I see in the pictures, it looks like a factory bolt with an m16 type extractor installed. It usually takes quite a bit of cerrakote to make a factory bolt too tight, but it is possible. Was this a non magnum bolt face that was opened up for the 300 WM? If the smith test fired it by single loading he might not have experienced the scratching brass or feeding problem. The Wyatt magazine set up usually needs a little tweaking of the feed lips and adjustment of the spring to get everything working together and feeding smoothly. If the action was a non-magnum, it would also need to have the feed rails opened up a little.
    I would guess that there is a sharp edge on the back of the chamber and possibly on the action rails. The uneven wear you see on the bolt lugs may not mean anything because the trigger lifts the back of the bolt and tends to unload the top lug.
    It probably should go back to give the smith a chance to correct these issues. Looks like he probably got in a rush to get it out and just didn't get the details done right. There are a lot of accuracy minded guys out there that become good at fitting and chambering but overlook the basic stuff. This is really just guesswork without a hands on look at the rifle.

butchlambert and Lynn313 like this.
  3. Lynn313

Roeder, Thanks for feedback. It was a 300 WM Rem 5R Tactical that never shot that great. Only things kept were the action, bolt, and BDL floorplate.

4. Lynn313

Roeder, gunsmith had serious neck surgery Thursday from auto accident. Trying to get some feedback without bothering him right now. This was finished 2 days before surgery.

5. Roeder

You might be able to help the feeding issue by bending the magazine spring so that the top cartridge sits level in the magazine and the bolt is able to pick it up every time. If you are able to wait until your smith has recovered and is able to help out, you could just single load each cartridge and possibly avoid the scratching. That would give you the chance to do your load development without tearing up brass. If you can't get it back to the builder, most creditable smiths could likely diagnose and correct your issues.

Lynn313 and butchlambert like this.
  6. Lynn313

Thanks Roeder. Most of the 40 shots i’ve fired were single fed due to the feed problem. The scratches still occur on the single feed is why I’m wondering if blast media is baked in chamber or something else in chamber.

7. Roeder

It seems likely that there is either a sharp edge at the back of the chamber, or the M16 extractor is causing the neck of the case to drag on a corner of the bolt raceway. Try holding the case straight against the pressure of the ejector while drawing the bolt back and see if there is no mark. Sometimes a softer ejector spring can help.

8. Lynn313

I just did per your suggestion with 4 FL sized Norma brass (not fired - just brass) 2 fed & then ejected. The scratches look the same as when fired. Dimple is present also. One case had some black stuff on scratch. I’m assuming it’s some cerakote.
    2 cases I tried to hold pressure against while ejecting to keep straight. One was almost the same as before, but the second one the scar was significantly less. May be due to exactly what you said.
    I bought some factory ammo today & tried feeding. It was better than my reloads, but still jammed. It’s very difficult to load 3 rounds in the BDL/Wyatt’s box. The BDL spring & follower appear to be the original. Do they need modified for the longer Wyatt’s box. While feeding the case bodies get scratched also (not when single feeding).
    The lady technician that did the cerakote is a sweetheart, but this was her 1st cerakote application.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  9. Lynn313

Roeder, I looked again & I guess on 1 case I was able to hold pretty straight because the scratch is significantly less.

It’s looking to me like some minor work on the bolt, fix cerakote thickness problem if possible, clean/polish chamber, and correct the feed issue and I’ll be OK.

10. Lynn313

Bought factory ammo and tried feeding. The box will only take two rounds and still is not feeding properly.

IMG_8607.jpg IMG_8609.jpg IMG_8610.jpg IMG_8608.jpg

11. Lynn313

Just returned from seeing gunsmith at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO. The sticky bolt is a Cerakote problem. The rails in the action have a thick layer of cerakote. He said the bolt scratches are where it is wearing away the cerakote. He said it will get better & to use some extra lube until then.
    The feed issue was a simple fix. The Wyatt’s box wasn’t set right. It was cocked with the upper right hand corner sitting by the right side of feed rail.
    The gunsmith should have given me a heads up about the sticky bolt. If he single fed when test firing he could have missed the feeding issue.
    I’m keeping in mind that he was working in pain and trying to finish the job before his operation. He had neck vertebrae fused Thursday from an auto accident.
    I couldn’t count the times i’ve been in Bass Pro Shops and never realized they had full custom gunsmith services. My wife told me about it. I have been very worried about my 1st custom and want to thank everyone for their help. After the gunsmith heals we’ll see about fine tuning the feeding.
    Many thanks for all the help! Lynn

12. Lynn313

Next day, I pulled barreled action to adjust Calvin Elite trigger. I was never able to get box back in without it cocking up in front interfering with action feed ramp. When box came out a flat washer that was being used in rear of box as a shim fell out. After 4 hours of trying I gave up. The new gunsmith has had it for 2 days now. My only concern was feeding, but new Smith seems like a perfectionist and is determined to resolve sticky bolt from the cerakote on rails. I’ll learn all the details when he finishes. He just said he couldn’t believe anyone would send out such sloppy work.

I’ll update when new smith finishes.

13. Wildcat455

Wildcat455

Particularly interested in what caused the dimple in the case, and if it was fixable. I have a rifle that does that and would like to know how it's resolved.

I am sorry your first custom went this way. Pain may make people do things they never would have ordinarily done, but it doesn't excuse it.

Lynn313 likes this.
  14. Lynn313

Wildcat, When I get it back from the 2nd gunsmith I’ll let you know. The longitudinal scratches on the shoulder was caused by the incorrect positioning of the Wyatt’s box. They are scratches from the upper front right of the box. Since the dimple was always the same distance away I would guess it is either also related to the feeding or since the cerakote job was so blotched it could be a pieced of blast media that got baked on as someone else had suggested.

On the pain he has a lot of negative reviews on his site. So I no longer think it was the pain. Some people have a moral compass that guides them and others go through life doing just whatever they think they can get away with. If you look at Hill Country Rifles, Alamo Rifles, GAP, etc there are zero negative reviews. I think that’s because they are people that won’t knowingly send a defective product to their clients. I accept responsibility for ignoring the negative reviews.

15. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Please name the smith !

Lynn313 likes this.
  16. Lynn313

On my way home from picking up my rifle from the gunsmith making repairs. Wife driving. I wanted to wait to see how serious it was. If it was a simple mistake I was not going to name. There was so much wrong I can name and advise others to stay away. Will identify all problems from home.
    Dixie Precision Rifles. Gunsmith that did shoddy work is Alton.

17. Lynn313

Problems identified & corrected by 2nd gunsmith. I’m explaining best I can. Understand I am not a gunsmith.

1. A lot of the problems were due to the sloppy cerakote application. Cerakote all in action including heavy coating on rails. The bolt also had to heavy a coating of cerakote. At the same time the cerakote covered sloppy work on the bolt where he cut extractor slot ( grinder marks which would never be seen due to cerakote)which was discovered as the 2nd gunsmith removed the cerakote.

2. Feed issues: the Wyatt’s box had to be milled some to be compatible with the feed ramp. The box was also just floating without being secured. Pic’s attached- the bottom pin on the Timney CE is 490 thou wide. The trigger guard width is 423 thou wide, so the bottom metal wasn’t sitting down as far as it should. It was sitting on the pin. The Wyatt’s box was not secured in the bottom metal recess. Gunsmith milled grooves in guard so it could be lowered over trigger pin. See pic- talking small distance just enough to engage box into recess.

3. Trigger issue: when safety was pushed into fire position it would not engage in the fire position. It just floated. The trigger was not compatible with the cut in the trigger guard. When 1st firing the gun after receiving it (single feed with sticky bolt) it did fire a couple of times when I wasn’t expecting it to. I don’t know whether or not this was due to safety not being “engaged” in the fire position. Sear engagement was adjusted to far & had to be adjusted.

4. Bolt stop: wasn’t popping out to stop bolt due to heavy cerakoting. Bolt was just pulling straight out.

5. Asked how it got the cerakote off bolt. He said with a lot of _____ _______ work!

6. Front action screw: gunsmith shortened screw as it would touch bolt.

7. *Note: when 1st receiving rifle with me single feeding one round at a time working sticky bolt it shot a good group with 210 Berger’s over a light load of 73.5 gr of H1000