Starline rifle brass/Alphamunitions?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Ringostar, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ringostar

Ringostar

I know they are both fairly new to the market. I have read some good reviews online. I would like to hear from people on these forums though. How have your experiences been? I have a couple of basic questions that lead to a bigger question. 1) Consistancy of the brass? 2) Durability of the brass? Which leads to 3) Do we start working together to convince either of these companies to produce brass that is commonly used by shooters here, but tough to find or highly priced? E.g. 300WSM, SAUM, 284W. I have been considering another F class build, but in a short magnum of some kind. Quality brass availability is limited.

2. deepwater

deepwater Silver $$ Contributor

I have used Starline pistol brass for years. They are not new to the brass market. It has a great reputation for strength and uniformity. They have been making rimmed rifle brass (.45-70) also for many years. The company is renowned for good customer service.

3. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

I've used their pistol brass for years also, it's 1st quality product, highly regarded by pistolshooters.

Several years ago I inquired about their making factory brass for the then-new 6HAGAR.

Their reply closed the damper on that endeavor given my lack of personal financial resources.

4. ireload2

ireload2

All the brass I have used made by Starline was hard as heck at the case mouth because they do not anneal the case mouths. I don't know if they lacked the capacity or lacked the equipment but they only recently began manufacture of ordinary bottle neck brass. I have used their 40-65 brass which is a heavily tapered and necked case made from .45-70 based cases. Starline seems to have problems necking this brass down because about 5%to6% of the cases are damaged by creases and lube dents to the point of being unusable.
    The 40-65 is a difficult case to form if you only have the FL sizer. It took me a few tests before I could get 100% yield. It was easy to look at each case and learn how to form them. To form the case with automated equipment would require a more highly developed process than what Starline used. No telling how much brass they have to throw in the scrap bin and that gets reflected in the cost of the brass.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    deepwater likes this.
  5. Ringostar

Ringostar

I understand about the pistol and straight walled rifle brass. I've had good experience with Starline pistol brass. I'm saying that they're now making bottle neck rifle brass. The Alphamunitions site looks very interesting. They are a new US manufacturer that just came out with 3 cases. 308, 260R and 6.5 Creedmoor. There brass looks great and priced similar to Lapua. They plan on adding more sizes. It looks like we might have a US company to compete with the Scandinavian brass.