spray silicone for sizing

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Topwater, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Topwater

Topwater Silver $$ Contributor

Has anyone tried using CRC Food Grade spray silicone for sizing brass? If so, how did it work? Thanks.

2. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

you DO NOT want that in your chamber and barrel, not sure how it would work on sizing...sorry i didnt answer op

3. bigstick6017555

bigstick6017555

no, i have not tried that specific product. over the last 50 + years of reloading i think i have tried every witches brew i have ever heard of (too many to even count). what i have found for myself is i always end up back with imperial sizing wax or petroleum jelly. size, hardness and cleanliness of the brass is a factor as well as cleanliness and finish of the dies. i generally find it is the latter if some one is having problems with sizing

dmoran likes this.
  4. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy

99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin in a 10:1 ratio, best case lube I have ever used

5. DCRYDER

DCRYDER

Hornady one-shot!!!

6. 500Stroker

500Stroker Silver $$ Contributor

+ 1^^^^^^

Rogmay likes this.
  7. Larryh128

Larryh128

+2

Rogmay likes this.
  8. sbhooper

sbhooper Silver $$ Contributor

With such good lubes available, WHY would you want to? A healthy shot of One Shot in a plastic bag, with your cases, a good rolling/shaking action, and you are in business.

hpshooter likes this.
  9. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Brass Guys Butter is very nice ? Hard to find time to time.

10. LHSmith

LHSmith

I don't like aerosol anything for case lube. I don't like contaminating the carbon left inside neck. Maybe my technique but the only stuck cases I ever had was with 1 shot.

AckleymanII, timeout and ppc like this.
  11. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg

I've had more stuck cases with 1-Shot than any other lube. Will admit that it was all from the same can as I haven't ever bought another can of it. Maybe it was just that 1 can.

Chance of silicone in my chamber or bore, no way!

12. Chief 101

Chief 101

Ditto...

13. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Same here. Tried everything. Always go back to Imperial wax.

I just tried some spray on Frankford Arsenal stuff that had good reviews. I hadn't stuck a case in many years since I went to Imperial sizing wax. Well I stuck a case trying the new lube. It's not consistent.
    The Frankford spray lube did help in conjunction with the Imperial wax by allowing me to use a lot smaller amount of wax on the shoulder than I normally do to size the cases. So I suppose there was a little bit of benefit from it. But all the rest of the cases still needed the good ol' wax to ensure I didn't stick another one ;)

14. Topwater

Topwater Silver $$ Contributor

For years I’ve been using RCBS lube and the pad. It has proven to leave residue on the brass. I may have to try the wax. Thanks for the input.

15. Ledd Slinger

You still have to wipe the Imperial wax off the cases and it's more time consuming because you apply it to the cases one at a time, but you will never stick a case in a sizer die if it's used correctly.

I'm sure it would be easy to devise an easier way to apply the wax, maybe even to multiple cases at the same time, I just never put any brain cells on that assignment

16. RetiredArmy

RetiredArmy Silver $$ Contributor

Ledd Slinger, I use wax and a lube pad. 5 cases at a time on the pad, wax on finger tips and roll back and forth. Works like a champ and no wax on shoulders.
    Thanks
    Bill

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  17. Rsadams

Rsadams

I am in no hurry on my rifle brass so +1 on the imperial wax.. one tin last a looong time...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Mulligan and dogdude like this.
  18. Ledd Slinger

Yeah I know I'm probably over 2000 rounds on the current tin and still have quite decent amount left. Just a little bit goes a long way for sure.

dogdude and Rsadams like this.
  19. Rsadams

Rsadams

Lol , I put to much I know and keep a towel on my leg to wipe off my fingers and barely have put a dent in a tin... But never a stuck case..

20. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

Imperial sizing wax for smooth operation or use something else and get out the hammer, with headache and why did I buy this crap. Never had a stuck case with Wax, Oneshot yes ruined a die then took the hammer and beat the coocoo out of my press.

timeout likes this.