Spotting Scope- Straight or angled eyepiece?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Exocet, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Exocet

Exocet

I'm in the market for a spotting scope. I've seen the pros and cons. I like the idea of a straight eyepiece but wanted input before I buy. Use will be wildlife viewing mostly (hunting, travelling, hiking) with a tripod and occasionally off of or next to the shooting bench. Is there a great benefit to the angled eyepiece?

I just don't want buyer's remorse since I'm planning on buying a really good one. Only want to buy once. Help me decide.

2. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

My $0.02 is that an angled eyepiece is a distinct advantage if you shoot competition events whilst laying on your belly, on the ground.

That angled eyepiece helps get your spotting scope aligned as closely as possible with your non-shooting eye so you don’t have to move your head at all (under perfect set-up) while shooting.

Straight eyepiece is for more ‘relaxed’ use, either with ‘scope mounted on a tripod or held up to your eyeball-of-choice, as you would with a telescope.

dc.fireman, ratguner, D-4297 and 2 others like this.
  3. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

My dad initially bought a straight eye piece and quickly found that he needed a much taller tripod to look at anything remotely at an up angle unless he was sitting in a low chair or on the ground. An angled eye piece is more comfortable when looking up, like with bird watching or spot and stalk in hilly terrain. He now has an angled scope.

BenPerfected likes this.
  4. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

When shooting Hunter Class BR matches I prefer an angled eyepiece. And as an F-Class spotter I prefer the angled eye piece. For watching from behind the line in an BR match I prefer a straight eye piece. But then it depends on what you are going to use the scope for most of the time.

Dub, dogdude and BenPerfected like this.
  5. Mikey_P

Mikey_P sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for the angled eyepiece. I use my spotting scope for shooting from prone position, occasional shooting from a bench, and even for stargazing. Can't think of a time where I wish that I had a straight eyepiece vs. an angled.

Mike

Dub and BenPerfected like this.
  6. std7mag

std7mag

I use angled.
    F-Open a short tripod with the spotter essentially laying on it's side.

For spotting game, i don't have to extend the regular tripod as high.

BenPerfected likes this.
  7. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

If your primary usage is wildlife/birding, go with a straight eye piece. It is easier to pick up your quarry looking straight at them and then find them in the scope then having to look one direction at the animal and then over to an eye-piece pointed in another direction. Having shot God knows how many hours of film and video wildlife documentaries it is the only way I would go.
    The straight eye piece is not a hamper to a bench shooter. Mount the scope near your rifle on a pipe clamp type mount attached to the bench.
    That said, I am a competitive shooter and use an angled for shooting only.

Dub, Steve Ladino, joshb and 4 others like this.
  8. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

You may also want to post this question on a wildlife/birding forum site to see if they have any particular preferences we shooters may not know about or consider.

9. mousegunner

mousegunner

Also consider the exit pupil and eye relief on the scope. With My TSN1 with angled eyepiece and LER lens I don't have to be right on it to see the image. My Zhuemell 20-60 also has a good exit pupil and eye relief for a zoom lens.

I had an older Bushnell straight scope that was hard for me to use in across the course shooting with three different positions and you had to get close to the eyepiece to see the image. My 2 cents.

10. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

I like angled. mainly a bench shooter

11. brxbrad

brxbrad

Definitely angled. I've had both.

12. nilebartram

nilebartram Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Leica 65 angled spotting scope for sale on the forum. Leica is top of the line. nilebartram

Dave Way likes this.
  13. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

On most spotters, the scope body can be rotated so the angled ocular tilts to the right or the left. This can be very be handy when shooting from bench or Prone.

upload_2020-2-11_15-43-55.png

David Tubb

Ccrider, Dub, GSS and 2 others like this.
  14. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Depends on how flexible your neck is. I think only the most flexible will prefer a straight eyepiece. I wish I could put an angled eyepiece on my rifle scope.

15. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

Ditto for straight although if you forget the tripod an angled scope can just be set on top of the bench.

16. jbarron

jbarron

For competition you want angled.
    For wildlife/hunting you want straight.
    Would you buy binoculars with angled eye pieces?

spclark likes this.
  17. SPQR70AD

SPQR70AD

I would think with angled eyepiece it would maybe distort the image cause it has to bend it as opposed to the image coming straight in. does any one know about this?

18. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

No, it doesn’t. Or we wouldn’t use them for what we do! They cost too much for us to have to put up with a distorted image.

19. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

angled eyepieces use prisms that have perfectly flat surfaces placed at the correct angles to bet the bend angle desired.

20. SPQR70AD

SPQR70AD

but it has to cost more to bend an image and make it just as good as a straight image