spotting scope stand

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by swede69, Apr 6, 2018.

1. swede69

swede69

just checking out what everyone is using and likes and dislikes. I was looking at the ray vin models, simple and sturdy. thanks for the input. I am going to get a kowa spotter for it and mostly use at range but would also like to field it for wildlife and general viewing.

2. perry42

perry42

For wildlife and general viewing I prefer binoculars. My Kowa uses a 3/4" rod with a 3 legged base.

3. pacificman

pacificman

When I bought my spotting scope years ago I had a cheap three leg stand and quickly found that
    a good sturdy stand is the way to go when using your spotting scope in the wind and for long periods
    viewing game. I bought a leupold stand which can be locked and is very sturdy. Like I said this was
    years ago and I am sure there are many more sturdy scope stands out there today. My point being
    it's good idea to have a stand that will keep your scope rock solid for viewing. :)

4. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

I have tried them all and the Ray Vin is my favorite.

mtncwru and Mulligan like this.
  5. beak

beak Silver $$ Contributor

if u are shooting from a bench call Champion shooters supply [in ohio] get a scope mount then go to Home dep. & buy a pipe clamp. clamp to bench & have at it

6. cdiver

cdiver

Dito on the Home Dep thats what I did.

Scope-3.jpg

7. TerryH

TerryH Silver $$ Contributor

8. oldiron

oldiron

cdiver what mount you using that mounts to your scope? is that one off a tripod? Thanks

9. jimbo60

jimbo60

IMG_0236.JPG
    I built my own out of a piece 3/4" steel round plate, 7 1/2" Diameter. Bought a Tripod head off of Ebay ,( Amazon ) has them too.
    Installed a 3" handle to make it easy to pick up, put 4 rubber feet on the bottom.
    Works fantastic for the bench, and is super stable. 10 lbs

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. waltk

waltk Gold $$ Contributor

Same here.

11. oldiron

oldiron

Nice!

12. mtncwru

mtncwru Silver $$ Contributor

I used a Freeland stand when I started shooting smallbore, and it was fine. I found that, once I got out onto the more wind-swept lands of high-power, the Freeland didn't quite cut it. I upgraded to a Ray-Vin (heavier with less vibration in the wind, especially when my scope is further off the ground than "prone") and have been delighted ever since.

13. cdiver

cdiver

Yes, it is of a table top tripod that I got at a garage sale

14. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Manfrotto MKBFRC4-BH

15. JMS597

JMS597

I did something similar. I noticed a benchrest shooter practicing near me a couple of months back, and he had that same clamp setup. I bought the Ray Vin Ellipse mount and put it on some 3/4" pipe which I turned down on the lathe to meet the 1" dimension of the Eclipse. Rock solid, easy to do, and relatively cheap.

The Eclipse isn't cheap, but it works very well.

16. Downhill

Downhill

The large Polecat Stand from Creedmoor Sports is the most stable one that I have tried. Little more expensive but a lot less aggravation regarding scope wobble.

17. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I have one of these:

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/910/Scope-and-Stand-Accessories

I don't recommend it. The pole and base are fine, but the parts that attach the cope to the pole are terrible. I replaced them with a super clamp and ball head designed for cameras and it's MUCH better. I wish someone sold just the pole and base. The clamp and ball head can be had for $50-100 depending on how nice you want it to be.

18. Downhill

Downhill

Sorry to hear that. I have been using my polecat stand for 2 years with no issues.