Somebody was hiding during deer season!

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by pdhntr, Jan 27, 2019.

1. pdhntr

pdhntr

[​IMG]

A high and tight 10 pointer that I fed as a fawn. I have seen him occasionally around the place and the neighbor was trying to get him this fall.

He showed up three days ago, hungry. He scared the crap out of me as he came sneaking out of the brush behind me as I was putting out corn. I had my hoody on so couldn't see to my side and he just started gobbling the pile of corn right next to me about 10 feet away. I slowly moved to my left and kept pouring, he didn't even react.

That pic is not from a trail cam, that is from a camera taken by me yesterday when I went out to feed. The distance was closer than it appears on the pic.

Jim

msinc, r bose, Damon555 and 10 others like this.
  2. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

He’s hungry! This is the hardest part of the winter for deer when food is scarce. I’ve noticed that anything will attract them to investigate if there’s a food opportunity, especially chain saws. You have a pet now, what’s his name?

pdhntr, Bc'z, WyleWD and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Silver $$ Contributor

I think they know who is out to hurt them or help them. Pretty deer.

Snuggie and Immike like this.
  4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Lucky would be a good one.

msinc, Idaho-Lefty, joshb and 3 others like this.
  5. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

He needs a couple more years to be majestic. Keep your eye on him.

6. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Hi Jim, i'm in far Southern WI. I heard awhile back there are only 2 counties left in WI. where it is legal to feed or bait deer. do you know if that is true? We can plant food plots here, but no corn piles, minerals etc.

pdhntr likes this.
  7. Immike

I got a buddy putting out corn 50-100lbs at a time right now, he’s got every deer in the area going crazy. Can wait to see the trail cam pictures of this

pdhntr, NorCalMikie and Lone Hunter like this.
  8. pdhntr

pdhntr

Yes at this time of the year, deer are drawn to logging operations to feed on the buds at the tips of branches. I was a sawyer for 10 years, making my living with a chain saw, however, no one uses chain saws anymore. It is all mechanized and the machines cut as much in one morning as we used to cut in one week.

I don't have a name for him. I have named some of the does. There is Long Limbs Lanore, Fat Face, Weiner, Mean Doe, Begger and Brown Eyes among others.

I don't put out much corn. Usually one to two gallons a day. I have food plots they are actively feeding in until the snow covers them. Unlike last year, most of them are doing fine.

Jim

Immike likes this.
  9. pdhntr

pdhntr

I will definitely keep an eye on him and Lucky would have been a good one. Unfortunately, when I went out to feed today I got a good look at his left side. He has a large sac on his neck, just below his left ear. It is not bleeding and I can't see any wound, but it is probably 8 inches long and 4 inches across. I don't know, maybe an infected wound from battle, but I can't see any scar.

What ever, it doesn't look good. I am hoping I can keep him around until he sheds, and find them, as I am skeptical of his long term survival. I know they are tough, but....

10. pdhntr

pdhntr

I don't believe that is true, although most of the counties in Wisconsin you can't bait. Washburn county to the west of me was no bait for a several years, and they were CWD free for those years and were able to bait again this year. You can bait in most of the counties in the far north. The latest data from the DNR is 43 of 55 counties are restricted.

timeout and Immike like this.
  11. spencerhenry

spencerhenry Silver $$ Contributor

On the ranch I manage, I swear the elk know who I am. I can get very close without spooking them. I think they get used to my smell, and motions, no one else can do it.

seymour fish and Immike like this.
  12. Immike

5318D188-DEFB-4787-A790-636BA217951E.jpeg If anybody is going to feed the wildlife and make pets out them, this is the week to do it...

Pay no attention to that date and clock, last year about this time.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    pdhntr likes this.
  13. pdhntr

pdhntr

I have lived on this land for four years now, and the deer absolutely know me. They have no problems with me, my 4 wheeler or the jeep. Often they come out to check and see if I have put out corn when they hear any activity in the shed. That is where I store the corn. The does have no problems with me and will follow me within 10 feet as long as I am carrying a pail of corn.

On the other hand, if there is anyone that is visiting me, and they are standing out in the open and can be seen, the does will not come out and if they do, they get very nervous looking at the other person. Most of the time they will stand in the brush and not come out. I gave my granddaughter the pail of corn and accompanied her, trying to give her a thrill, but the does wouldn't have any part of it. They freaked out and took off.

I have a very good relationship with the neighbors to the east and west of me, and we don't shoot any does. They commented after this deer season that they have never seen does walking around during season, seemingly without a care in the world, as if it wasn't deer season at all. The local herd knows they are safe in this area.

This is Begger, posing for a camera shot.

[​IMG]

mrjdasr, Bc'z and Immike like this.
  14. M14AMU

M14AMU

Young buck! Let him be! In three more years he'll make a wall hanger!

15. SS427

SS427

Not sure I could kill one after they developed a relationship and level of trust with me. They look like they are in great shape.

16. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe you smell just like an elk. Any special diet?
    -

Immike likes this.
  17. loinhunter

loinhunter

My dad's cousin had 67 acres in Augusta wv. He would ride one of his horses , hugging the neck . He could ride, slowly into a herd of deer without spooking them . If he sat upright-game over! Flags and feet !

Immike and hpshooter like this.