Some more antelope hunting

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by SEB-USA, Oct 26, 2012.

1. SEB-USA

SEB-USA Gold $$ Contributor

2. M700

M700

Tough buck. Was that three hits?

3. SEB-USA

Actually it was the first shot that hit him. Shot went from outside of the throat on the left side (lopes right side) between the lungs bruising or causing some trauma lightly on one lung, above the heart, through the stomach and exited the antelope's left hind quarter.
    Second shot missed.
    We wondered the same thing too, but the autopsy revealed the whole story.
    You should be able to see the vapor trail/trace on the first shot.

4. .260 james

.260 james

What bullets do you use in your 6.5x47????

5. SEB-USA

Orange box 130 grain Berger.
    I have been in contact with Berger. I have never had a problem with this bullet before.

6. .260 james

.260 james

I was wondering because I also use the 130 gr. hunting vlds and the last antelope I shot hit a point of right shoulder, went through lungs and liver and stopped in stomach. At the shot you could actually see the antelope get bigger as the bullet expanded. Like his chest puffed out alot. He was bed as well. He lurched out of his bed made a 20 ft. circle and crashed. Hope berger gives you some details or an explanation. Please share if and when then respond. Also what velocity are your loads starting at.

7. .260 james

.260 james

The limited damage you seen at the autopsy , makes me nervous. I never had a Berger not perform as expected. Traveling length of animal is not normal for sure. Even on an antelope. I usually have the opposite problem ,like throwing A shoulder away or a whole neck and shoulder out.

8. SEB-USA

2815 is my MV.
    I am sending the rest of my box to Berger for them to check things out.

9. M700

M700

Keep us posted on the results will you?

My only experience with Berger VLD's on game has been three mule deer with the 115 gr VLD from my .25-06, and in each case the bullets performed superbly, shredding pretty much everything in the chest cavity and dropping deer instantly.

Guy

10. SEB-USA

I will.
    Joel wrote a better description of the bullet path on the comments section of the YouTube video.
    I may just copy it and post it here.

11. BigHorn WBY

BigHorn WBY

Very odd bullet perfomance Ernie...............Very contrary to my experience with Bergers. A exit wound is normal, but much internal tramua is as well. I wasn't there during the necrotopsy, but surely take your word for it. I would like to hear what Berger says after they view your bullets.

I may be rash and suspect your velocity as well as not actually hitting the vitals may be a contributor. With the editing I don't know how long he stayed on his feet, BUT remember very few animals pack lead like a Pronghorn do.

12. SEB-USA

2159 fps was the impact velocity.

13. BigHorn WBY

BigHorn WBY

Yes, I agree. After posting I did some calculating on many of the shoots bergers where used on, I have been in attentance with. Looking back and trying to remember, then computing, seems that there is little animal reaction once velocity is down close to 2000fps unless it is the obvious central nervous system hit.

I shot a doe on Sunday at 686 with the 140, impact velocity was 2050ish. Straight-ish on shot, broke one little rib, shredded top of lungs and exited thru last ribs/guts on off side. I shot, heard thump, she ran down off the ridge and piled up in the cut. Maybe 50 yards or so, which is not uncommon with no legs or spine hit. Difference in my animals reaction to yours way well be that one little rib. Upset the bullet plus the secondary projectiles ??? Just speculation.

So again after thinking this through some more, maybe with your (my) velocity as well as and no direct vitals hit, this may not have been all that odd..........Hey the Buck is sure as heck dead now :):):) No big deal.

14. Romulus

Romulus

Poor dude. Not the kind of info I like to see 8 days before my mule hunt. :(

Like to hear what Berg says about this.

15. SEB-USA

I'm sure that once they know they will inform me.
    As you can tell from other posters this is an unexpected/odd performance for the 130 grain 6.5 Berger hunting bullet.