soft jaws?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by TrxR, Aug 4, 2018.

1. TrxR

TrxR

I was thinking about buying a gun vise for cleaning but got thinking about some soft jaws instead as i already have a bench vise. I was looking at the red ones with the barrel channel that brownells sell.

How many of you use a bench vise and soft jaws? If so what size vise are you using? I would be using it to clean my FTR rifle as well as my 40x rimfire. Any downfall to this method? Do you jus clamp the barrel in or do you clamp in in by the stock?

Thanks

2. jpretle

jpretle Silver $$ Contributor

Clamp it by the bbl. I use the green ones.

3. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

4. TrxR

TrxR

5. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

6. Ken

Ken Silver $$ Contributor

I cut some lead sheeting and formed it around the jaws

7. cj8vet

cj8vet

I cut some of the black rubber trailer mat material left over from the top of my shooting bench--seems to work fine--ya'll have any negatives?
    mark
    cj8vet

8. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

Cut up pieces from an old horse trailer mat. Been using them 30+ years.

9. Jayson

Jayson

10. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF

11. mr.kirk

mr.kirk Silver $$ Contributor

I use the Brownells in a 4” vise at the shop, and an old surfing booty in a 3” multi-vise at house. One is certainly more professional, but the booty has gotten more action. My buddy uses lead to clamp barrels and receivers and he is working on noticeably nicer guns than me

12. STOMP442

STOMP442 Silver $$ Contributor

I have the red ones from Brownells that you are looking at. They work well. My only complaint with them is they need a much stronger magnet system to hold them in the vise. They can barely hold up their own weight when the vise is open. I am constantly picking mine up off the shop floor because I bumped the bench or looked at them wrong and they fall out. I have to keep the vise jaws closed if I want to keep them there. Other than that complaint they work well for holding barrels or even holding rifles by the stock for cleaning or scope mounting.