So you think this hobby is expensive...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by jimmymac, Mar 22, 2020.

1. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

338 dude likes this.
  2. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

I bet their shipping department is about as busy as the maytag man or garfield the cat

3. jimmymac

Kind of crazy that shipping isn’t free. Of course with insurance on that high end stuff, they probably don’t want to eat the $2000 shipping fee since it would severely cut in to the profit margin.

338 dude likes this.
  4. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

There are some sound systems in some cars in Detroit that NEED this stuff.

338 dude, MikeT49 and jimmymac like this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Can you imagine them seeing an order come across the wire then wondering what to do next?

Dryfly24, dgeesaman, 338 dude and 3 others like this.
  6. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

My other hobby

But, no, I've not bought those cables

338 dude, MikeT49 and jimmymac like this.
  7. jimmymac

I have some decent stuff. Not what most would consider audiophile quality. Even if I did, I wouldn’t drink the speaker cable kool aid.

338 dude likes this.
  8. Tempest

Tempest

I used to drag race. It's like lighting a huge pile of $100 bills on fire every year.

PRR1957, GotRDid, PatMiles and 15 others like this.
  9. SGK

The power cable KoolAid is worse.

GotRDid, 338 dude and jimmymac like this.
  10. SGK

But the cost of the cable is cheap. Wait until you design your house around having a good audio room (or home theatre)...

338 dude likes this.
  11. jimmymac

I have a two channel setup. Cambridge Audio separates that I run through Paradigm Reference floor standing speakers. Plenty good for my tin ears.

12. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

With this virus thing, I'm thinking about getting into privately funded space travel.;)
    I think that's a good hobby!

338 dude, 6MMsteve, MikeT49 and 4 others like this.
  13. SGK

To be honest I struggle to keep my system up to date these days as the cost is enormous. My 'desire' for this hobby ranks below fly fishing for me. But I have a bunch of Egglestonworks speakers and at its core is a Thetadigital Casablanca IV.* I should have tossed it all 10 years ago as it was forever a thorn in my marriage. I'm now divorced! (My wife used to call the speakers 'baby coffins'.) Right now, it's all in a storage unit.

* So yeah I drank a good deal of KoolAid.

14. Lesloan

Lesloan

Was this on The Onion?

jimmymac likes this.
  15. drano38

drano38 Silver $$ Contributor

But their cheap Reveal model is only $1300!
    There is some very nice high-end audio built in the US. Krell, Jeff Rowland Design, Audio Research, and many more. Like vacuum tubes? Vacuum Tube Logic (VTL) is just one of many out there. And the diehards want a record player, in the 4-5 figure price range.
    In the early 90's I visited a high end audio store. Krell's top amp at the time, 300 watt mono-blocks, $35k. The whole system was most likely in the $75k range. A well recorded symphony or simple jazz ensemble sounded incredible. Different brands and models of interconnect and speaker cable will change the sound. I'm not an engineer, so don't understand why.
    Every hobby has very nice toys to enjoy.

GotRDid, 338 dude and jimmymac like this.
  16. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

When you're my age and have lost a good part of one's hearing, there's no point in such high end audio equipment . . . unless the technology is in the hearing aids. :( :rolleyes:

I've still got my vintage Pioneer speakers I bought back in '68 that give me all I can hear. :p:D

Pioneer Speakers.jpg

Bc'z, Mark W, GotRDid and 11 others like this.
  17. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

Back in the 70s or 80s , I worked with a Technician who was one of the smartest individuals I have ever met . Al was about 60 and listened to a lot of live music ......so did I . So one day Al tells me he would like to build a decent HiFi System . There was nothing in our area , so I checked around and found a high-end Store about 2 hrs. drive away . I wanted to test the wisdom in those days which said that an old person hears things much different than a young one ( namely me ) . We listened to a ton of Speakers , Electronics , Turntables , and Record Brands . I was surprised that we pretty much agreed on the Speakers . We picked the Klipsch Corner Horns as best . It was long ago and I think we switched a little on nos. 2 & 3 between Tannoy 18 inchers and Klipsch Cornwalls . At a later date , I auditioned a set of ( I think it was 8 or 10 Quad Electro-Statics ) which sounded amazing . We did not see ( in those days ) big differences in Electronics or Turntables . What I did see was a huge difference in Records . Everything ( except Deutsche Grammaphone sp? ) drove me nuts ..... because the System reproduced every defect on the Record . Today I am planning to upgrade my system , but will be very happy with Stereophile Magazine Graded B or C Components . The choices now on Streaming etc. , are truly baffling ...... sort of like the various 6mm Benchrest choices available !

GotRDid and jimmymac like this.
  18. ronsatspokane

ronsatspokane Silver $$ Contributor

Years ago a work group was down in the Bay Area doing some scalability exercises using our software on high end computer systems. We wandered into a high end stereo store and the guy turned us loose with some Mark Levinson electronics (mono-block amps, preamp, cd player) attached to a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy's. That system cost more than my house at the time. I did discover Vandersteen speakers and Rotel electronics at that store though and they were much, much more affordable.

GotRDid, jimmymac and drano38 like this.
  19. NZ_Fclass

NZ_Fclass

Having been involved in professional audio, not hi-fi, I can assure you that salesmen in the hi-fi business, talk just as much rubbish as salesmen in gun shops.

GotRDid, swd, dgeesaman and 1 other person like this.
  20. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

I have kenwoods that look a whole lot like yours straightshooter, I bought them in Okinawa in I thing '76. They're upstairs and haven't even been hooked up for probably 20 yrs

GotRDid and jimmymac like this.