so many Bat's to choose from

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by chet, Apr 29, 2018.

1. chet

chet

was looking at bruno's shooting supply he seems to have alot of Bat actions, maybe i can get some input so i dont get the wrong action, i am going to build a 6.5 creedmoor, 28" heavy contour, for mainly bench shooting, what would be the appropriate action for this purpose in a Bat. i hope i gave enough info. if not i will answer promptly. looking for the lightest bolt lift possible. looking for right bolt left port.
    ps if there dealers who have a large supply of Bats elsewhere, let me know.

chet

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Model MB is another. Be sure to get the br or 308 boltface and ask if the port is long enough for 308 size cases. Most bats come with the smallest ports possible unless you order bigger. Most B size actions will have a BR size port
    Bulletcentral has bats too.

johnnyi likes this.
  4. INShooter

INShooter Silver $$ Contributor

+1 on Bullet Central. Great people to deal with.

5. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I prefer an action long enough to get a loaded round out the gun. With long heavy bullets and freebores, I would prefer am M. Then you also can go with something bigger and longer down the road if you decide to. Matt

gunnermhr, nmjwolf and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

3L is a nice action, short lift on rollers...

7. chet

chet

rollers,,,, i already like it, must be easy to lift bolt

chet

8. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

9. johnnyi

johnnyi Gold $$ Contributor

I would second that nomination for Bat selections if your game has the wiggle room for total weight. extra bedding area to support heavier barrels. Super slick actions... I love mine!

10. chet

chet

there is no problem on weight issues, this gun is going to be 95% shooting and striving for good groups at local ranges off the bench. just competing against myself.

chet

11. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

I don’t want to be “that guy” but why buy a BAT when you could buy a Borden?!? :D

But if you must settle for a BAT I would get the B...I liked mine before I got a Borden.

12. chet

chet

actually Jim Borden is only 30 miles from where i live. seems like the Borden actions are a few hundred more over the Bats. i really would get the defiance but not thrilled by waiting 12 weeks min.

chet

13. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

probably there is a reason for the price differance. If i was springing for a custom id go with the borden to.

JasonPeterson and joshb like this.
  14. Jefferson

Jefferson

you do,not need to have the entire cartridge eject out the ejection port, just push the bolt release and take the loaded round out the back and replace the bolt,

the amount of times you will need to do this is minimal and so,you do not need a larger action

Jefferson

mr45man likes this.
  15. rotts4u

rotts4u Silver $$ Contributor

I just went through the same decision process for a F class gun that I use for 6.5x47L, 6mm Dasher and 284Win. I ended up with a BAT MB. The M is huge but the MB is about perfect. I cant quiet eject a loaded 284 but its real close. I just open the bolt release and pop it out if needed. Ive been shooting the 284 win in a Surgeon 591 which is a true short with a 2.5" port. The MB has a 3" opening and it looks and feels great.

16. gunnermhr

gunnermhr

BAT will cut the ejection port to whatever size you want. I'm not exactly what the advantage is to a MB other than a larger bedding surface. The tenon and port are the same as a B.

I have a B and M actions, like DKHunt14 mentioned, I like the M because of the versatility. I like the B because of the shorter throw.If you're buying one action get the M. That way in the future if you want to go with a big hammer all you need to do is buy a different bolt. Changing barrels out is a super simple and quick job.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.