Smallbore ELR?

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by steve_podleski, Jul 17, 2018.

1. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I have heard that there is an effort to run competitions with smallbore rifles with .22RF up to distances of 600yd. Anyone have info on this?

Byrne and Don like this.
  2. Clearlight

Clearlight

184AD875-5647-4776-A1BB-9F3A2E15542C.jpeg Great idea . Gets almost anyone into ELR with minimal cost , the
    biggest issue for most is getting enough elevation . Last time I shot
    a 22 LR , it was at 500 meters : around 123 - 126 minutes up got
    me there , with RWS orange box ammo .

Some folks think of ELR as time of flight , rather than distance . Here’s
    a pic of multiple World BR Champion Stuart Elliott from Australia drilling
    steel at 500 meters with a sleeved Mk 1 BRNO , using a prototype
    March Genesis scope . No issues dialling that distance with 400 MOA
    available !

3. micmac

micmac

4. XTR

XTR

[personal opinion] I think trying to take 22LRs out to those ranges is counterproductive to the idea of a health competition. There are very few scopes on the market that have the elevation to get to 600yds with a 22LR. Sure there are some, but you are talking about a really small subset of the available products on the market. How many people will be willing to shell out big $$ for a scope to shoot a 22LR at distances that are really a chip shot for center fire rifles?

Three hundred yds is a huge poke for a 22LR, but you can get there with off the shelf equipment that isn't extravagant or specialized. I guess the choice whether you want a pool of 50 to 100 competitors nation wide or thousands.

Personally, I'd try it at 300, but if my Steiner M5Xi can't get there (my scope with the most elevation at 20 mils) I'm not buying a scope just to play.

PatMiles likes this.
  5. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

It would be interesting to know what quality ammo is required to hit a 12"x12" target at 600yd!

6. micmac

micmac

Compared to cost of centerfire ELR this is peanuts , angled scope base , many of todays scopes offer 100moa elevation so and some reticle subtensions and you can get you far . but like any competiton sooner or later people kit up. Rimfire ELR is meant to run in similar format as King of 2 miles and longest target might not be hit at all,

You will see every single shooter will likely clear 300 , problems will start past 400y

I for one do not save on rimfire optics , i use similar quality as on centerfires

Geno C likes this.
  7. Clearlight

Clearlight

Not too hard to get a rail for most 22s these days , and there are plenty
    of scopes with 100+ MOA . I’m in MILs in a few scopes : if I settled for
    A 200 zero ( reasonable for an ELR comp ) , there’s 8 MILs to start .

Agree around 400 is where things get inconsistent for me : if wind
    isn’t too bad , I’m at 80% impacts on a standard silhouette turkey .
    Push that out another 100 , and things get a lot harder . ( 22 lr )

Regarding ELR in general , just 5 years ago , anyone not in the trade
    or with a professional shooting background similar to mine , would
    just laugh at the idea of shooting 2000 yards or more . Now , many
    times a week I’m getting hit up for training , or advice on building
    a rig for shooting past a mile .

ELR is moving from the world of custom voodoo , to off the shelf
    repeatable accuracy . You can get a turn key system from folks
    like Applied Ballistics , and get in the game overnight .

8. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I think it'd be a hoot. For those that can't sink 3-7k into ELR equipment, this is a great alternative. I think the end result will be about as difficult to achieve. 338 Lapua at 2500 vs .22 RF at 600. Hitting steel at 600 with a very poor bc .22 slug will be very challenging. As said 300 isn't too difficult but getting to 400 and beyond will be challenging to hit consistently.

270WinDude likes this.
  9. micmac

micmac

On the other side of the pond we are kicking it off 17.11
    v2.jpg

10. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Would it be hard/impossible to develop a target where you could have an aiming point well above the scoring ring? might make it more accessable for more folks ??? Might be a silly idea also.

11. LCJM

LCJM

The first time I can remember shooting ELR with a 22LR was also at 500 meters. I believe the year was 1979. I was with a group of junior and high school friends along with brothers on the 50 yard rimfire range. There was a high power silhouette match being conducted on an adjacent connecting range. The bright idea in the form of a bet came up. “Bet you can’t hit one of those rams out there with your 22.” Could we, should we? What if we actually did hit one and knock it over? With no adults with us, we had to try. “How far do you think I need to hold over,” came the words from one of the oldest. “Don’t know, just pick an object on the hill directly above the far left ram.” We all watched for the impact with adjustments from there. It didn’t take long for a shot to be adjusted to hit the berm. Very quickly a following shot hit the ram…....and it didn’t even move. The mark from the 22 on freshly painted steel could easily be seen. We all took turns shooting at the row of rams although our aiming was on a pinecone, a rock, a bush, or an identifiable object that could be used as an aimpoint. And hit the rams we did. Then came the turkeys, then the pigs, and finally the chickens. The chickens did wobble some when hit so we stuck to the pigs on up. I don’t know if the adults on the silhouette range knew what we were up to. All I can say is we shot a silhouette match with our 22s in the middle of a high power match minus the chickens and we had a lot of fun along the way doing it.

A few years ago I did something similar with a pair of young brothers. We picked a few reasonable sized rocks around 12” to shoot. The rocks were all over 1000 yards away. We used aimpoints from the top of the foothill, a very tall foothill, 20 to 30 degrees above the rocks. Best guess was somewhere between 1200 to 1800 MOA (60 Minutes per degree with 20 to 30 degrees) with the same rifle from 1979. Sometimes three shots would be sent toward the rocks before the first one ever hit earth. I can’t recall if we hit a rock but there were close calls and a brick of empties left next to the 4 wheelers.

It will be interesting to see how this ELR craze pans out. Projectiles have always been able to travel very long distance. History is already in the books if you were to cross the road where the latest ELR 22 match took place out of Townsend. Continue with the pursuit to make systems that will shoot farther, the systems become heavier with members of the system growing in numbers. Ultimately there will be a system capable of shooting tens of kilometers that will probably resemble something looking like the Mike triple seven. But that’s on the other side of the road. Where are we today - on this side?

ELR isn’t much different than being young at heart challenging the unknown with childhood friends, making choices along the way that will be enduring. For youth with humility mixed with adventure in a right direction and path is a prime. Whether at an even or an odd……..there is no division.

wi50 likes this.