Small primer 6slr?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Kyle87, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Kyle87

Kyle87 Silver $$ Contributor

I was thinking while reloading the other night about trying to make some small primer 6slr brass. I know the process would be long and probably not worth the effort but interesting. Could a guy take some small primer lapua 308 brass and make this happen with some 260 then 243 followed by 6slr dies?

2. rickiesrevenge

rickiesrevenge

I've made lots of 243 brass from 308s. I had 7mm-08, 260, and 243 dies. Used them in that order. No issues. Whether or not their is enough gain to make it worth it I don't know. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

3. loudandproud

loudandproud

You are probably going to have issues with forming the lapua brass into SLR. You are pulling the shoulder material into the neck. Even if you neck turn, if you FL size with anything other than a bushing die, youll keep pulling shoulder material into the neck.

The lapua shoulder thickness is substantially higher than the neck thickness.

4. JakeGraves

JakeGraves

I have formed them into 6 Creedmoor cases successfully. I neck turn with a 21st Century turner slightly into the shoulder after FL sizing. The only reason I did is because I had 300 new 308 Palma cases.
    I do not have problems with donut.

calib and rardoin like this.
  5. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Same here....no donut either.

calib likes this.
  6. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Gold $$ Contributor

I used, 7/08 then a 6.5 creed(set up long), then 6slr. It took 45mins for 100. Turning the necks another 45 min. I also did some lrp lapua 308 for caparison. Speeds were better with lrp and slight edge on accuracy too. I opened up the flash holes and now they shoot same speed, same loads, possibly more consistent with palma brass. Primer pockets still nice and tight.... actually my win brass never lost pockets.....

The palma brass is definitely more consistent than my win or rem brass.

Trying stuff is fun... enjoy

boltfluter likes this.
  7. Kyle87

Well guys it is possible. I'm alittle worried about the case length. I got them roughed out and ran them through the slr dies. They got a donut at the bottom of the neck. I neck turned it to 13 thou and just cut the donut out. I loaded up a charge of 4831sc with a cci 400 and 105. The shoulder sharpened up good. After resizing the case measures 1.998. I trim my slr cases to 2.035. Will these cases grow or is this a sign to abort this project now?

Attached Files:

8. calib

calib

Tagging in, just got done shooting a match in canada with my win cases and am wondering about small primer slr brass

9. 6fatrat

6fatrat Silver $$ Contributor

I set up some of the palma brass for my 1000yd 243 win. long range gun. About 6 weeks ago I chronographed my load of H4831SC with 3 different primers, terrible extreme spreads. Now that Atterbury is over I am going to try some of the faster powders.
    Steve Bair

10. 25wsm

25wsm

11. 25wsm

25wsm

I don't have any issues with the lg primer pockets in my SLR. I finished 2nd place overall at the world open Williamsport. Deviation is only 6fps and shoots great at 3225 fps. Have shot 5.18 inch 10 shot group at 1000 yds. I'm using rl 23. Shep

12. XTR

XTR

Are you using WW brass or are you sizing and turning Lapua?

13. Kyle87

And what bullet are you shooting?

14. 25wsm

25wsm

I am using Norma 243 brass and did shoot hybrids but the Berger 108 shoots better in my gun so that's what I'm shooting now. Still using rl 23. I'm building a new SLR for next yr with a faster twist and hope the 110 mk shoots good. The bc will reduce my wind drift significant amount. Rl 26 will push 108 Berger 3400 fps but couldn't get the accuracy I wanted. Shep

15. 25wsm

25wsm

Forgot, my barrel is 29 inches and on the brass I run it over an expander mandrel after running in the SLR die. Then I turn the necks. The mandrel pushes the thicker shoulder matirial to the outside of the neck and it comes off in one pass. I don't worry about donuts because I use a freebore that keeps my bullet up in the neck. I moved the barrel to a different action at 800 rds and it had practically no fire burning at all and now have a total of 1300 rds and still shoots better than me. Shep

16. 25wsm

25wsm

Going to try some Peterson 260 brass next.

Peterson Cartridge likes this.
  17. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

I retired my std 243 lapua brass now after 11 reloads and If i wasnt putting a new barrel my SLR I could reload them another 11 times. I destroyd Win brass in 3 reloads, life is to short not to use the blue box. Over December I might play with some palma brass in my new barrel to see what they do buy Im very happy with std 243 lapua brass, very low ES and they hold up forever

18. XTR

XTR

I am set up to turn if needed but I haven't played with Lapua yet. I've still got 500 or 1000 new in the bags 243Win cases to use up. That should shoot up at least the barrel I have on now