1. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

My home state of Michigan has an average kill range on deer of about 90 yards. Yes deer can be killed here at 1000 yards but you'd have to search for those locations. Typically 50-200 yards is the norm. If any Hunter wanted, he could have only a 20 gauge slug gun by today's accuracy standard for deer guns and kill deer easily annually. Personally I prefer a rifle even at close range but more because of it's versatility and extreme accuracy. Many other states toward the Eastern region are ideal for slug guns or muzzleloaders.

hogpatrol likes this.
  2. 308 shooter

308 shooter

Another vote for the Savage 220 slug gun , very accurate with Remington accu slug's , only concern is ejection , but the gun is so accurate you should only need 1 shot .

3. msinc

msinc

Yes sir, it seems to mostly be driven by two things...population and flatness of the land. Where I live, the communist, left wing, liberal democrat state of Maryland, you can use high powered rifles to hunt deer in the mountains of the western part. The rest of the state is shotgun slugs only, no buckshot either. Not sure about now, but one county on eastern shore that was sparsely populated allowed rifles, yet it was flat as a pancake.
    Strange thing about all democrat written laws...they miss the boat every time and never make sense. Here you have to use a shotgun 20 ga. or larger with a slug for deer, but there is no caliber or weapon restriction on squirrels. If you want to hunt squirrels or any other small game you can use a 460 Weatherby magnum if you want to. There is only one day you cannot, opening day of deer, because everything else is closed on that day but deer.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Gary in MD likes this.
  4. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

yeah, thats messed up. thanks for the info. guess i am lucky, we can do pretty much what we want here in ok

5. Bobbyboy6br

Bobbyboy6br Silver $$ Contributor

I have a Remington 870 with Hastings 21 inch fully rifled barrel I use federal 1 ounce slugs blue box with great results

6. Bobbyboy6br

Bobbyboy6br Silver $$ Contributor

Hi wanna sell that Leupold 2x7 scope ?

7. Larryh128

Larryh128

I don't shotgun hunt anymore but this is good advice. I've seen a lot of the 220's shot with accutips and they shoot VERY well. All 20 ga.

hogpatrol and 284winner like this.
  8. Charles

Charles Silver $$ Contributor

Browning pump gun Was called the Game gun came with a 5 inch rifled slug choke and a turkey choke for me its been a dedicated slug gun with Lightfield's have taken deer at 175 yards will shoot inch and half groups at one hundred yards. Was recommended by Gun Tests magazine when it came out

9. 222 rem

222 rem

Plus 1 forH&R. Heavy but cost effective. BPI Dangerous Game Slug is hard to beat. Follow BPI loads.

284winner and msinc like this.
  10. Larryh128

Larryh128

Only issue with the H & R is they don't make them anymore after big Green bought them out.

11. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

Ya I see back in 2015 or so Remington/Cerberus stopped the run on the slug Hunter guns. Not sure why either. Quite a few competitors out there but they were undoubtedly the least expensive and still very accurate guns. Many sad shotgunners out there from it.

12. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

In early 90's I bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle with a E.R. Shaw slug barrel. Since then I think Benelli makes their own slug barrel. The beauty of the SBE is the 2 piece receiver, the scopes low and less likely to move because the barrel and the upper part of the receiver are one piece. I also have a 220, thats a shooter too. Bought the Accu Tips for it, sighted it in with SST's, they shot so nice I never even tried the Accu Tips. The Benelli likes the SST's too.