1. Trophy 2000

Trophy 2000

Recommendations needed for slug gun and ammo. Thank you for your consideration.

2. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

3. james

james Gold $$ Contributor

25 years ago purchased an Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge and mounted a Leupold 2x7 shotgun scope on it. Have harvested approximately 35 deer with it over the years - highly recommend it. Have used Lightfield Hybrid 2 3/4" slugs.

4. Trophy 2000

Trophy 2000

Thanks for the information.

5. 243winxb

243winxb

20171112_101518.png A Mossberg 500 12 ga or 20 ga. pump combo with 2 barrels. Includes a 28” ported field barrel with chokes and a 24” fully rifled Slugster® barrel with cantilevered scope base.
    $380.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    hogpatrol likes this.
  6. Gary in MD

Gary in MD

Savage 220 slug gun, great accuracy and all you really need is the 20 gauge!

msinc likes this.
  7. msinc

msinc

The current best I have seen is as above, the Savage 220. I have yet to see one that wouldn't touch slugs at 100 yards as long as a shooter was behind it and Remington 2 3/4" Accutip's were in the chamber. If I remember right all the locals use a "DNZ" one piece scope base and rings. I think it has something to do with the empties having clearance to kick out and not jam.
    Many moons ago I had a Ithaca Model 87 "Deerslayer II" that was a good one. If you could scare up one of those I think you would be pretty happy. That one had the barrel screwed to the receiver like a rifle, so it was a true dedicated slug gun.
    I am not what you could call a "fan" of anything Savage ever made, but I give credit where it is due, and the 220 got my attention as the best chance of owning an accurate slug gun. Many guns will throw a slug, but I have yet to see a 220 that wouldn't put them touching at 100 yards.

Edit: when these first came out I think they had some trouble with the magazines...typical Savage cheesyness...{politically correct to say "cost effective"}. I know several guys that complained and received a new mag that worked. This was several years ago when the 220 first came out. They said it didn't look any different or like an upgrade, but it positively fixed the problem.

8. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Browning made a nice bolt gun, Savage made a nice bolt gun in 20 and don't laugh but the HR 20 ga with the heavy barrel rifled single shot makes a decent deer sniper to 150 yards with Lightfields.

9. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for the Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 gauge for the budget minded shooter. Lightfield 2&3/4, three shots touching at 100 yards. Have taken deer with it to 150 yds. Have since moved to a Benelli M2 in 20ga, same results with the Lightfields but a little spendier. I lucked out and found a used one relatively cheap.

10. Rich S

Rich S

Im currently shooting the Savage 220. Im getting below 2" groups @100 with Remington accutips. The bolt didnt cycle very well on mine. After basically lapping it in it works fine. Good trigger for a shotgun. Overall good performance for the money.

A good Hastings barrel is hard to beat if you have an existing shot gun you like. I have one on a 1100 that shoots 2.5" groops at 100.
    For a cheap bolt gun find an old Mossberg 695. Terrrrrrrible trigger but otherwise good shooting accurate guns. I had a smith work on the trigger and the best I can say is it is better. He said he would never do another one. I keep one as a spare and for when it rains.
    My favorite slug has been the Winchester Partition Gold.

11. mikea5232

mikea5232

Savage 212 or 220 shoot great, if you need faster follow up shots for more than 1 deer, I think the ithica deer slayer 2 or there would be the ticket.

I don't know what your regs are but smokeless muzzleloaders are something to maybe consider if you can use them in your shotgun area. People are taking deer with them at over 500 yrds. There are a couple places that build/ sell custom smokeless muzzleloaders shooting 275g bullets at over 3000fps and very accurate. Something to maybe consider.

hogpatrol likes this.
  12. Kookie

Kookie

Thompson/Center Encore Pro Hunter Rifled Slug Gun is very accurate with sabot slugs.

hogpatrol and misfire like this.