Slick bolt lube

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Your bore guide doesnt do any good when you slick up your bolt with ballistol and shoot it

2. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe I’m a little conservative, but I’m not using enough of any bolt lube for it to drip into my triggers. No matter the product I rub it on with a fingertip and wipe off the excess with a cotton cloth leaving behind only a very thin film.

3. Dusty Stevens

I was actually using a patch to put it on there so probably less than with a finger. It migrates everywhere

4. Mark W

Wow, I never had that problem! After I wipe off ballistol it leaves behind a super then but slick film. It actually kinda reminds be of hobo oil.

5. Dusty Stevens

I think its due to putting it on there between every group when cleaning the rifle. Close fitting bolts probably rub it off on the edge of the trigger not helping

Shooter13 and Mark W like this.
  6. Mark W

You’re probably right. I usually do bolt lube at home when doing a thorough cleaning. I’m also dealing with the more sloppy fit of factory actions.

7. fyrewall

fyrewall

MSDS for Ballistol

www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

Of interest, Ballistol is not a water blocker, is a lubricant, basic (ph 8.5-9.5), dissolves traces of lead, coppler, zinc, contains medical grade petroleum (white), and the MSDS mentioned something about rotten apples under a tree. It apparently smells sort of like licorice. It apparently reacts with insulating materials. Good bore cleaner, low surface tension - ("it migrates everywhere"), able to creep into tiny cracks & whatever, protects against acidic corrosion.

For my rifle bolts, I will continue slicking them up after every cleaning session with Turtle Wax polished with a paper towel.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

Don't use anything near the trigger area that runs. I'd try resizing wax or get some of that more solid form called IIRC parawax.

9. Dusty Stevens

I just report what comes in for me to fix

10. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah, licorice,....inside a baboon’s ass.....but it’s good stuff