Skunks

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Bugs, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

OK everybody. . . . a skunk (or skunks) is/are digging for grub worms and tearing up my lawn. So I'm going to go out at night with a flashlight and a .17 HMR. Question is where do you shoot a skunk (in the head perhaps?) so as not to stink up the whole neighborhood. . . . any advice?

2. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

Wait until they're a couple of houses away. :eek:

perry42, 300_whisper, Barlow and 7 others like this.
  3. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

whatever you do, don't get to close,,:eek:

4. alinwa

alinwa

I've shot lots of them in the head and they didn't spray cuz it makes 'em hump up and clench/thrash but sometimes after they relax they'll dribble.......

I don't mind the smell so this isn't a big deal to me.

'Freak likes this.
  5. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

I've never seen or shot a skunk that didn't leave a stink. Head, shotgun, body, ass whatever - they just stink. I just let the little guys aerate my lawn. I tried to have a golf course lawn here for about 10 years. Cross the road lawn is Bermuda and weeds. Blows it in the road toward me. Got tired of fighting it, spending $1500 or more a year on the lawn and just gave in. If it's green - great. That money goes toward food and gunpowder now.

6. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Kill the grubs and he'll move on...you really don't want either one.

WyleWD, Cryhavoc and mikeinct like this.
  7. pirate ammo

don't waste money on food,,you can get that with the gunpowder,,

8. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I've never encountered a skunk that didn't stink to high heaven, spray or no spray. Shot several from around the house over the years as I found if they move in, they bring their scent with 'em.

Just another unpleasant chore best dealt with quickly and decisively in my experience.

perry42 likes this.
  9. pirate ammo

I've got a few rounds for a 25MM cannon,,1 of them,,vaporized smell and all,,:eek:

MrMajestic and rebel like this.
  10. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Most times even head shots will cause them to spray still. I've spooked them and they run across the road and that's where I shoot them. Usually about 60 yards away in the field. Fly bait and coke kills them without a drop of piss leaving there body. They don't make it 10 feet after a few laps of it. One cup fly bait and one can of coke. DRT !!! Fly bait comes in a 1 lb can usually at farm/ fleet stores. Just a word of caution...if you have cats, dogs or pets and even neighbors pets. They all will eat it and die if it's within their ability to get to it.

11. K22

K22

They sometimes release their urine when shot. Be prepared for an awful smell afterwards.:(

12. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Subsonic .22LR...

13. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

The characteristic skunk smell is produced in the anal glands, not the urinary tract.

They are definitely not immune to a 22BR with 40gr NBTs (see below), but this is one critter you WANT downwind when you shoot it. ;)

striped skunk kill 1.JPG

perry42, 300_whisper, Urv and 4 others like this.
  14. mikeinct

mikeinct

Don't matter with or what...When shot they stink...Mike

15. SSL

SSL

When my son was 10 he spotted a skunk across the road from us and wanted me to shoot it with my .17 Remington. He was anxious to see what that little bullet would do. I did and tried to tell him to keep his distance from the body until the next day. I looked out of the window a short time later to see him racing toward the dead skunk. By the time he realized how bad it smelled he was at full tilt and got a real good nose full and was still heaving when he got back to the house.
    That was 25 years ago and we still laugh about it... though he still is a bit sheepish about it.

perry42 and hogpatrol like this.
  16. rockrat

rockrat Gold $$ Contributor

I read somewhere that if you shoot them in the rear end at the base of the tail, they cannot spray as you have disrupted the nerves to the glands that house that wonderful mercaptan compound

17. rebel

I've shot them with every iteration of rifle or pistol at every angle. They just leak that stinkin' stuff everywhere. Best method is to live trap, drag trap with a long rope to a body of water and give him a good ,long drink. No smell that way.

snert and msinc like this.
  18. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Live trap then soft release, miles away from home. Actually fun to do and no stink.

19. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

Huh?

pirate ammo likes this.
  20. rebel

Well OK, you could do that to:)

pirate ammo likes this.