SK Pistol Match

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by bdale, Aug 22, 2017.

1. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

2. nilebartram

nilebartram Silver $$ Contributor

Graf and son is still $5.99 @ box nilebartram

3. USMCDOC

Nice.. i keep forgetting about them.. prob because i never look at their site!

4. hlpressley

hlpressley

May have to try some of this. I have tried the SK Standard and it was decent but no better than CCI SV in my rifle.

5. USMCDOC

What kind of rifle was or is it?

6. hlpressley

hlpressley

Savage MKii

7. USMCDOC

Ok.. thanks.. i was just being curious about the model..

hlpressley likes this.
  8. flatlander

flatlander

While I've got a good supply of SK Rifle Match that shoots very well in Benchmark & Lilja custom bbls on my 40X & XB repeaters, as well as in a nearly new Anschutz 2011, I just had to try the Pistol Match to see what all the talk was about. I bought 2 boxes of each of six lots and shot 10rd groups at 50yds (would much rather shot at 100, but was too breezy to get reliable results). The thing that immediately impressed me was that all six lots of PM shot pretty darned nice groups out of the Lilja titebore, whereas I've had some stinkers when lot-testing with Rifle Match. There were two lots that shot really impressive 10rd groups, so when I finally got a day with acceptable wind conditions, I shot groups at 100 with these two lots. One was clearly superior to the other, so I bought a case of that lot. Later, on another day with decent conditions, I tried that lot of Pistol Match against a couple of known good lots of Rifle Match at 202yds, and wasn't too impressed with the PM, especially compared to the better of the two RM lots. I'm sure there will be a day with much better conditions to repeat this test, but for now, I'm limiting my use of PM to 100yds, and using the better of the two RM lots for 200yds+.

We shoot Precision Rifle 22RF matches at a club 165mi from here, and there are NRL22 matches at another club in the same area, so it's a bit of a drive to compete with those guys. I'm going to talk with some of the shooters in our local club (only 35mi from here) to see if there's enough interest to approach the BOD about funding the purchase of the NRL22 target set. Even if we don't get set up to run organized matches out here, I can get a lot of good out of practicing with my 40X repeaters right here on my place, and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all that the SK PM runs $1 less per box than RM....and is at the least as good as the best of the RM or Lapua Center-X that I've tested in my rifles, out to 100yds.

9. rolltide

rolltide

This has been a great thread to read through. I'm going to have to pick some up to see what the fuss is all about. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Aguila Pistol Match? I'm curious to know if it produces similar results?

10. redrockranger

redrockranger

Save your money......

11. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

My ,455 shoots it into 1 hole

holstil and USMCDOC like this.
  12. nilebartram

It was windy when I tried the SK RM & PM at the 100 yards. The RM shoot one hole, (5 rds). PM was not impressive, I think the SK standard shot better in the windy condition. The PM was very impressive on the 50 yards range though. I used three rifles in my test, 40X, W-52B and a Anschutz 54. What was interesting was my 52 loves the standard. I will try again when it is not windy. I want to shoot my Compass lake Engineering 22 auto with this ammo. nilebartram

USMCDOC likes this.
  13. rolltide

rolltide

Good to know, thanks!

14. flatlander

flatlander

nilebartram - I haven't shot any of the SK PM through the Douglas SS barrel from CLE that I used to build my AR upper. Have been kind of neglecting that nice little AR-style 22RF rifle, with a couple of Elrod repeater 40X/XB rifles plus the Vudoo V22 to shoot. But, I do need to get it out and play with it when we get a decent day for RF shooting again. Most of what I've run through it has been some old Wolf Match Target & SK Std+, and I did stumble across one lot # of Std+ that shot really well through it out to 200yds. Naturally, it was the remnants of a 2-box lot sample I'd ordered from Champions Choice or Grafs (don't recall which), so I have no more of it here, and by the time I'd found out how good it shoots in this rifle, it was much too late to try to order more of it from either source. But it deserves a chance to 'show its stuff' with the SK PM, so I'll put that on my list of things to try.

USMCDOC likes this.
  15. USMCDOC

I am finally getting a chance to be able to try order some.. so soon i will be able to try some!

16. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Silver $$ Contributor

We are doing some 22 tactical stuff around here. Generic and now NRL. Most all of my buds are running SK pistol. One guy traded all of his wolf match after trying SK. They all seem happy.

I'm going to try to play with 22s this year and see what its all about. I recently did my own test with about 7 flavors of sub $8 ammo and the pistol match was the most consistent..... another day????

I'm now a lurker in this part of the forum to pick up as much info as possible..... thanks ahead of time for all your tips...tricks.

USMCDOC likes this.
  17. nilebartram

I had to buy my 22lr ammo in December. January 1St, we in california, have a new law where we can not purchase any ammo online and have it shipped to your home and this is forever. So I bought 7 cases of this SK ammo. I convince my wife that this ban is forever. Because this ban was forever, she let me purchase the ammo and gave me $500 for christmas and my birthday to help out with the cost. What a wife, I married the right woman. nilebartram

r1200mike and USMCDOC like this.
  18. USMCDOC

Yes sir you did indeed!

19. 10/22AppleCreekShooter

10/22AppleCreekShooter

received_1972658969625649.jpeg received_1972658942958985.jpeg The last time I shot SK Pistol Match at 100yds.

holstil and USMCDOC like this.
  20. USMCDOC

i like that! i don't think that either of my 10/22's will be shot further than 50 meters. But with that kind of results that your getting, i am sure that it is buckets of confidence on a IR50 or ARA target.. have you tried the PSL target yet?