Sizing Bottle Neck Rifle Cases

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by K22, Jan 23, 2019.

1. K22

K22

All those who still neck size should read Erik Cortina's post in the Daily Bulletin. German Salazar had similar advice on his blog some years ago.

dstoenner likes this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

3. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^ What Dusty said ^^^^^

Darrin

4. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Cov Fe Fe

Texas10 likes this.
  5. uncle-buck

uncle-buck

OK, will try FL sizing every time and see how it goes.

Will use a Co-Ax press and Forster FL dies.

Can someone explain how the shoulder gets bumped .001" or .002" by screwing the die down a fraction of a turn when the die is already touching the shellholder at the end of the press stroke?

Thanks

6. klamathsteel

klamathsteel

I full length resize every time with a Redding standard FL die with stem removed and die adjusted to get about .002 bump. Then size the neck with a Lee Collet Neck Die (20 bucks on Amazon). My neck tension is very consistent and my ES/SD has never been better. It's working well for me.

7. SPJ

One way"

With your ram at full extension slide a .010 feeler gauge under the shell holder, screw the Die to touch.
    Measure a FF case from base to the case shoulder junction using a comparator and a caliper.
    Size a case and take another measurement, adjust Die and feeler gauges as necessary. If you can't get the headspace your looking for perhaps a reduced shell holder and repeat the process from .010

uncle-buck likes this.
  8. SPJ

From the teaching of Mr.Guffey it is impossible to bump a shoulder using a Die with full body support.
    Perhaps you now are in possession of one.
    You may however when sizing end up with a different shoulder than what you started with" if that makes sense..
    Mr. Guffey also has bump Dies that I interpret as Dies that are shorter allowing increased headspace by way of threads measuring with a feeler Gauge
    Mr. Guffey is also a fan of LE Wilson case Gage's that are based on SAMMI specs

Just promoting thought:cool:

9. chromatica

chromatica

You will want to remove some material from the top of the shellholder. I have used emery cloth on a flat surface to take off .001 at a time.

Mark W and foxguy like this.
  10. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Redding shell holders I presume set of 5 each one has a lower deck height from what I've bee told.
    20190123_231355.jpg still going against the grain.
    Purty nice brass right there.

okie, Rsadams, SPJ and 3 others like this.
  11. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

first thing is you don't need to bump the shoulder until your brass is fully fireformed. if your fired brass chambers without resistance then it isn't fully fireformed.

12. TrxR

TrxR

Can a fl bushing die be set to size the necks only for the first 2 or 3 firings so you can get a fully formed brass? Or are you just bumping the brass back every time even after just the first firing.

Thanks

Bc'z likes this.
  13. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

For the first couple firings, I measure a handful of cases and set the die to bump the longest one about .001”. After 2-3 firings they tend to even out more.

14. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

TRxR,

If you set up your FL die to bump shoulders, and then use one of the Redding shell holders, from the 5 shell holder set, you can back off easily on .002 increments. This way you only have to set your die once. Works great for me.:D:D

Paul

Bc'z and SPJ like this.
  15. B23

B23

I agree with the method of, there is no need to bump the shoulder back, at all, until your brass has reached the, to long to chamber, stage.

To add, yet another, element to this whole debate of FL vs NS and I think this is more prevalent in factory chambered guns, but when you FL size brass that was shot from a gun that had a little bit of a fat chamber and you measure the shoulder, FL size, measure again, don't be surprised if that piece of brass comes out of the die and the shoulder length is LONGER. Then people really freak out, screw the die down so it pushes the shoulder back and now you have a piece of brass that is quite a bit under sized to your chamber.

Soooo, IMHO, the whole debate about FL VS NS, is better described as, one size doesn't fit all, and like most things, there are exceptions to every rule.

Jody Simcox, Someoldguy and SPJ like this.
  16. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

They should expect it, unless they are setting the shoulder back (maybe excessively). Photo courtesy of Unclenick from TFL forum.
    Case Stretch.jpg

17. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

My take is that he is mostly talking about shooters in competition and having loading issues while do so on the firing line. But I see his point to some degree. I neck size my rounds for each rifle I shot them in and use them in only that rifle. I do not bump back the shoulder unless a round seems to have grown and needs it, which is very rare actually.
    Now if you are using those loads in a semi-auto or in other rifles of the chamber size, then FL and a slight should bump might be in order. Just me thought and the way I do mine.

Texas10 likes this.
  18. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Yes sir it can. As can any FL die.
    Screw die in to touch shell holder with ram in full up right position.
    Now back you die out 1/2 to 1 full turn.
    Set your lock ring.

19. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

A rebel!

20. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Non conformist!

okie and SPJ like this.