single shot vs repeater.....accuracy difference

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Lead Slanger, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Lead Slanger

Lead Slanger

How much difference is there in accuracy between a single shot action and a repeater action?

2. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

Just to darn many variables to give a honest answer, but the SS "SHOULD" give a little more accuracy, but that sure isn't carved in stone either...
    The solid bottom of the single shots allow less flex of the action, so in theory it should be more accurate, but put a bad barrel on it, and all bets are off......

3. NateHaler

NateHaler Silver $$ Contributor

There's been umpteen gazillion posts about this topic on various shooting forums. Unless you intend to compete to win, which doesn't seem to be the case based on your post on BR Central, it won't matter what you get. Just get something, and get in the game, whatever it is. Analysis paralysis won't get you anything except frustration. 8)

rardoin likes this.
  4. mikecr

mikecr

I load everything single shot, because I want to seat bullets for best accuracy(not mag fit). So when I have a choice I get pure single shot actions. WHen I don't have a choice I modify with single shot followers.

5. Lead Slanger

Lead Slanger

Man, that's the truth. It seems the more questions I ask, the more lost I get. :)

6. Phil3

Phil3

I have come to the conclusion there is a point of quickly diminishing returns in regards to accuracy vs investment in equipment, often at the expense of shooter experience. I could spend lots of money on a high end rifle parts, but knowing that some factory Savages can shoot in the 2s and 3s off the shelf, I think I would be better advised to spend money on ammo and range time to ensure that me, the shooter, can shoot that good.

If there is a choice with little dollar difference, I'd get the single shot action, but otherwise, it would not matter much to me.

Phil

7. mikecr

mikecr

That Savage doesn't shoot 2s because of better shooting.

If you design & build an engine and it happened to perform better than expected, you can look back and see there was no keystone action there. It was always combinations. Yet, if you had done ANYTHING different, it would not have turned out so well.

Phil you can shoot tons of ammo, and I'm sure it'll help, but it will not make any ole Savage shoot in the 2s.
    The best you can do for yourself, and all of us if you like, is find out and define why that particular Savage shoots.

8. Phil3

Phil3

I know the Savage, or any rifle, may shoots 2s because the rifle is capable of it, and the shooter is skilled enough to get that performance out of that gun. Or it may be that the gun will never shoot that good no matter who shoots it, or how much. Even if locked into a vise. I was never defending lots of range time = tight groups on a Savage or any gun.

To be sure, if I have a factory rifle that shoots extraordinarily well, I will report on it here, hopefully with some content on discoveries on why it shoots so well.

Phil

9. lpreddick

lpreddick Gold $$ Contributor

too much frustration when a repeater doesn't. i'v discovered the single shot after years of repeaters and i'll never go back. my latest has a coned bolt and it chambers a round as if it isn't there...i caught myself checking. the rigidity of the single shot is very important for accuracy. properly bedded ther is no movement from shot to shot. i even converted most of my repeaters to single shot with the little aluminum followers. i also remove the ejectors.

10. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

It matters, How much depends on you! My next build will be a SS and a straight no taper barrel..The idea of stiff actions and heavy barrels is to minimize vibration as much as possible along with heat management!

11. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Phil3, Phil3,
    Trump doesn't even have enough money to buy enough Savage rifles to find one that will shoot 2s and 3s!

12. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

I have a Rem action two two three and a Barnard two two three, each is just as accurate as the other. A lot of it is in the bbl and how well your gunsmith puts it together. Then you have to learn to steer it properly.

13. Phil3

Phil3

I wrote, "...some factory Savages can shoot in the 2s and 3s off the shelf...". I didn't say that was an aggregate, and if it was, that is probably a pretty tall order. But shooting a 5 shot group in the 2s and 3s does happen out of stock Savage rifles. How often, I don't know.

14. Phil3

Phil3

"Steering", the one thing I really need help on, and that I find is one of the hardest things to learn. - Phil

USMCDOC likes this.
  15. savagedasher

savagedasher

I don't think if the action locks up square and true you can see the difference .
    Accuracy it from the barrel . Larry

16. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Theres no difference. World records are held with dual port actions, no accuracy loss has been noted by the extra cut. I dont know where the stiffer=more accurate idea came from. I have never seen a correlation.

JRS likes this.
  17. Jammer Six

Jammer Six

The things I read on this site amaze me.

18. ab_bentley

ab_bentley I fix stuff, sometimes.... Silver $$ Contributor

I know, this thread is almost 4yrs old.

Adam