"Simply Green" to clean Imperial Case lubed Cases ??

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Baddog0302, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Baddog0302

Baddog0302 Gold $$ Contributor

Things I have learned from processing 1X LC 308 cases is that it is best to clean the cases in walnut hulls in a vibrator type case cleaner, then use Imperial Case sizing lube. The only problem with Imperial was it was really hard to get off the cases **
    It wasn't till I tried the cleaner "Simply Green" that my cases were clean with no sign's of the Imp.lube. I take the 2-300 cases I have sized, dump them into a 5 Gal. bucket, pour in a cup or so of "simply Green", swirl the cases around , or stir for about 3 Min. Add enough water to cover the brass, stir for another 3 Min. then use a strainer to save the water fot use with 223 cases. Fill the bucket about 3/4 full of water stir then drain. pour the cases on a towel in the sun and let dry.
    ** Some will say just wipe it off, ever try to wipe 2-300 308 cases ??

2. XTR

XTR

I throw them in the walnut hulls after I size them.

**Ever had to pull down 200+ bullets because the cases weren't dry?

3. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

I also use Simple Green and I also clean the fired cases by tumbling in one part Simple Green and seven parts water for two hours. Then after sizing I repeat with a weaker solution for 30 minutes to remove the lub. I dry then in the toaster oven for thirty minutes on warm.

4. OIF/OEF

OIF/OEF Silver $$ Contributor

Man in the Marines Simple Green was everywhere...you couldn't escape its grasp. There were 5 gallon buckets of the stuff all over and all the building smelled like simple green lol. The stuff does work great though.

5. DocBII

DocBII

You can also use Shout and stir them around for 3-5 minutes, then rinse with Dawn and water.

HTH,
    DocBII

6. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

7. asauer

asauer

Why not just use cloth and a little rubbing alcohol? I just roll about ten cases across a cloth and I'm done.

8. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I've been liquid cleaning my cases all my life. (don't even own a vibrating system) I've used Simple Green, and it does work fine, as do many other cleaner/degreasers. Lately I've settled on simply using automatic dishwash detergent. I do it on the stove top in a stainless pot at boiling temp, stir with a plastic spoon. Takes about ten minutes. Rinse once, dump into a strainer, shake water out and into the oven on 200 degrees for an hour.

My cases aren't always gleaming with shine, but they ARE clean. jd

9. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

One little suggestion:
    RCBS Case Lube II is water soluble. I don't load in the quantities that you do, so I just wipe it off with a wet cloth. It works very well for sizing. I have tried several different kinds of lube, and it is the one that comes off the easiest. They all worked for sizing. The worst to get off was the old RCBS lube that was mostly lanolin.

10. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

I use corn cob and walnut shell in both vibrators . First one I use to clean the brass before sizing .
    After I size I vibrate them again in a 50 to 50 mix of corn cob and walnut shell. The cases come out polished and the necks are polished in the inside for even seating pressure.
    I don't want any chance of moisture or chemicals inside my cases. Larry

11. Juma

Juma

Get a plastic bucket and fill it with hot water and citric acid together with creme of tartar. Twist and shout till your arms hurt twirling that bucket. Rinse and repeat. Super clean cases.

12. Joe Wade

Joe Wade

Add a tea spoon of Lemi-Shine to Dawn. The Lemi-Shine realy makes the brass feel cleaner and
    look shinny bright.

13. bill123

bill123

I'd rather not wait after sizing to load my cases. Instead, I wipe down loaded rounds w/a paper towel barely dampened w/ alcohol. With the bullet in the case, its easy to hold onto the bullet and spin the case in the towel.

14. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I kind of like washing/processing all of the cases the same way after all of my case prep is finished so that the necks hopefully will have the same "bullet grip". jd

15. mikecr

mikecr

+1 Boyd
    RCBS Case Lube II works better for me than sizing wax, and I clean it off with another cycle through a vibratory cleaner/Lyman's std media.
    I don't like to get my cases wet.

16. Baddog0302

Baddog0302 Gold $$ Contributor

For everyone adding their 2 cents here,READ the original post . it dealt with cleaning cases that were lubed using Imperial Case Sizing lube, if , what you added does not deal with using Imperial Case Sizing Lube, which is one of only a few lubes that work when sizing 1X M-80 cases, then, please save your $.02 for more relevant topics

17. bigedp51

bigedp51 Guest

Sorry to hear you put your tampon in sideways BUT Simple Green covers a very large area.

And next time if you just put some Imperial Sizing lube on your tampon you won't be as grumpy. ;)

[​IMG]

simplegreensmoothies

It’s the weekend! That means it is #freestyle for Saturday + Sunday! Blend your favorite from this past week or consume any remaining from this past week! We’re enjoying GRAPE LIME RICKEY!

GRAPE LIME RICKEY | serves two
    2 cups fresh spinach
    1 cup water
    3 cups grapes, red or purple
    1 lime, peeled

5 Reasons we love Simple Green smoothies

1. Natural energy booster to keep a little pep in your step in the morning (and during those afternoon slumps).

2. Natural weight loss can be a happy side effect of gulping these in place of a typical breakfast (just make sure to include healthy fats and protein to make it a more complete meal).

3. Stay healthy all-year-long. Simple way to boost your immune system when you’re feeling under the weather.

4. Packed with disease-fighting antioxidants. The phytonutrients in leafy greens boost your body’s immune system and keep it functioning properly.

5. Hands down— The best fast food. It takes less than 5 minutes to make a green smoothie (and clean up!) and they’re super easy to take on the go– especially when you prep ahead.

18. Defty

Defty

For YEARS after Sizing brass I put them in a Canvas (draw string) bag. Put it into the clothes washer and wash my work clothes. Living in Bakersfield, Calif. I then put the brass in a LARGE strainer and on the concrete (in the back yard) for a day. Wala Dry. Then tumble to polish.

19. mic2377

mic2377

I have experimented with various methods to remove Imperial or other wax case lubes. All of the water based cleaners have always left a significant amount behind, however I do not tumble so my guess is that is what removes the residual left after these methods.

I instead get a large Tupperware and either use Brake-Kleen or acetone. Spray the cases, shake, dump solvent, repeat once more. They come out without a trace of lube on them, even inside the case necks. They dry instantly and are ready to load in minutes.

Needless to say, I would be homeless if I used the dishwasher method...

20. ireload2

ireload2

I rinse the cases with 99% isoproypyl alcohol and drain.
    They dry in less than 15 minutes clean and ready to prime.