Sightron Siii cracked/chipped glass in diopter

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by J5guy, Feb 19, 2019.

1. J5guy

J5guy

Hey guys,

Long time reader first time poster. Thanks to everyone on this forum, super helpful. I recently purchased an Siii 10-50 with MOA-H IR from Optics Planet. Upon receiving the scope the first thing I notices is the lack of adequate packaging. Scope was in scope cover and then wrapped in bubble wrap, but not enough to keep the scope from moving around in the box. I also purchased a S-tac before the Siii with the same packaging, I figured the much more expensive scope would have been packaged better. Is this how they are always packaged? Did I get a knock off or something? I just bought two hunting scopes from different brands under $200 and they both came packed tightly in rigid foam. I quickly noticed a small black line in the upper left when looking through the scope. Upon further inspection it is a crack in the glass, inside of the diopter. If you spin the diopter, the line spins with it. I then noticed numerous chips in the same glass plane, again all inside the scope. They look like a chip in a windshield. See pics. I have contacted Optics Planet and Sightron about the issue. OP is paying for me to ship it back and also letting me switch to the non IR and refunding the difference. I shoot f-Class and wanted the IR to help see the small dot on a black target, IR is not visible during the day so it is useless for me. Optics planet is great. My question is has anyone else had any issues like this? I hope I am not making the wrong decision and should just get a full refund and save for NF or something similar. Rep from sightron said it looks like debris in scope. I'm not sure how debris getsin a sealed scope? I sent him the same pictures I posted.

All the black dots it the first pic are what look like little chips in the glass. The line is an actual crack, I though it was a hair or lint at first. The second pic shows all the little chips.

I have read so many great reviews about sightron scopes and the glass does look very clear, but with this issue I'm not impressed.

Any thoughts appreciated.

20190217_091822_resized.jpg 20190216_164824_resized.jpg

dmoran likes this.
  2. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Sightron has great customer service, but I would let Optics Planet know how dissatisfied you are with their service. I receive my Sightrons at my store packaged in a scope box, bubble wrapped in a bigger box. Optics Planet are the ones that should make this good for crappy packaging.

jamesh likes this.
  3. J5guy

J5guy

I would say I'm more dissatisfied with Sightron, although they did offer to pay for me to ship the scope to them for review, its just easier to go through Optics Planet for a refund Etc. Optics Planet is making it right and have been easy to deal with. They are even giving me the discount I got on the other scope for the different model and a sunshade deal that is running. The packaging I was describing was inside the scope box. The s-tac was packed worse then the Siii but still neither of them were what I would call "secure" inside the box. The scope didn't actually ship from optics planet but some other place they had stock at I guess. I have always had great experiences with Optics Planet.

4. M995

M995 T SNOOK Silver $$ Contributor

Was the scope inside a plastic bag with a rubber band securing the end over the ocular lens & inside the scopecoat?

5. J5guy

J5guy

It was also wrapped in some bubble wrap but it was not held securely and there is really nothing protecting either end if the box is dropped. Is that how they always ship?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

My new 8-32x56 LRZS was basically wrapped that way, but it did have pretty nice flip up caps installed instead of the scope coat.

7. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

What i see in the second photo is not a crack. It is either a scratch or a piece of lint. A crack would be usually a half moon shape if it was an edge hit.

Looking at the first it looks like scratches in the multicoat.

Somebody really abused that scope. As we used to say Rode hard and put up wet

David

8. J5guy

J5guy

Makes me wonder if I got a used scope. I have already sent it off but I took a couple more pics before I did. You can see a little better. Getting pictures of the inside of the scope is not that easy.

20190219_202657_resized.jpg 20190219_203013_resized.jpg 20190219_203602_HDR_resized.jpg

9. J5guy

J5guy

I would rather have flip caps. I don't care for the scopecoat. Good to know on the wrapping.

10. dstoenner

I agree it is hard to get photos of any surface of the lenses of a scope. For sure the long one is a scratch. Not for sure about the others. I agree that i think it was a used or demo model. I would be really mad if this was advertised as new

David

11. J5guy

J5guy

Oh yeah. Brand new. At least it was advertised as such and I paid the new price i know that. In person the long one looks like a crack but ive never seen a cracked scope so I could be wrong. Either way, scratch or crack, its pretty crappy. Plus all the little blemishes that look like little chips .I have expressed my dissappointment with sightron and they dont seem to really care. Packaging or quality control, something is lacking there.

12. JD9000

JD9000

If it is a "repack" of a demo or used scope, that would explain the scratches, etc., and maybe the packaging, if the repacker left some packaging out of the box.

13. Rsadams

Rsadams

Hmm , I wonder if it was a return that got in the mix..? I ordered a spotting scope from optics and it literally came in the factory box sealed in a 4 foot long box just packed with foam and bubble , it was crazy.... I got a returned scope from Cabela's one time in the factory box, lucky I noticed it in the parking lot before driving 50 miles back home...

If you are not happy with the manufacturer already , I think I might look elsewhere now... C/S is a huge thing to me because these days at any price or name you're probably going to have problems before it's over....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  14. dstoenner

15. J5guy

J5guy

I cant reply to any particular massages for some reason. Error says content i want to post is not allowed? I was only saying thank you to dstoenner for the post but I can't open the link for some reason. Nevermind, just joined the forum as well. The crack just looks bigger. The thin line in the middle of that crack looks the same as mine. I'm sure mine would have gotten bigger as it was used.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. J5guy

J5guy

Yeah I don't think I will be getting any more Sightrons. Which is a bummer. I really wanted to like their scopes.

Rsadams likes this.
  17. Rsadams

Rsadams

It sucks for sure.... It seems like it doesn't matter anymore , it's always a crap shoot no matter who , what or how much.... It gets really old trying to get the most bang for your buck and having problems... I promise you if I buy something it will be broke no matter what... Why manufacturers don't pull a random box and ship it to me I will never know... Because it will be the broke one out of the other thousands... Seems like it would solve alot of their problems....

18. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Hard to say if it's a Sightron issue or not. Personally I believe it's an Optics planet issue. Sounds like it came from O.P. as a used or demo scope. Not something Sightron would be responsible for if damaged. If it wasn't wrapped and sealed in the factory box, it was removed by the dealer in which case, they knew what issues the scope had. All this said, Sightron MAY replace it if explained to them your experience. The question of whether or not getting a full refund and buying a NF, is a different issue and more expensive one as well.

19. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

You'll be making a big mistake dropping Sightron from your scope line. They make fine scopes and at half the cost of others not nearly as good. Especially from one experience that I don't believe is a Sightron issue.

mr.big, jamesh, McGraw and 1 other person like this.
  20. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

They are surprisingly nice for the price, and the new zero stop is pretty slick.

284winner likes this.