Sightron SIII 10x50 MOA-h for long range

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by rsbhunter, Feb 10, 2018.

1. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Pvt.donut, I see in the Sightron 2018 catalog that they DO now offer a zero stop, but only installed by the custom shop though...it is not listed for the SVSS series, but a big step in the right direction...rsbhunter

2. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Silver $$ Contributor

I have two of these in the standard reticle (non-IR) which I enjoy very, very much. Specially per dollar. (the one below is closer to what you want I think)

http://sightronusa.com/product/siiiss1050x60lrirmoa/

Sightron will install 1/8 minute turrets on them for ~$130 IIRC. I shot 200,300,500 ground hog matches, and 850-1,000 silhouettes and 1,000 paper with 1/4 min clicks without issue.

My only two gripes on them is the 1/4 min clicks (which is fixable) and I with the reticle was half the thickness that it is. I thought of sending them in for the turret changes. But I replaced them with comps for now for their finer fcr-1 reticle.

3. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

NOTE!!!!! EDITED 2/13 my error !! I had quoted incorrect values for the ctr dot. They are now corrected. mikeeg02, looking at the published values, the crosshairs are (MOA at 100 ).18 @ min power and .075 at max power....I've never even looked through one, but that doesn't seem excessive...the ctr dot seems large at .6 @ min and .25@ max . Seems it would block alot of the aim point to my thinking....On the MOA-H article, the ctr dot is (moa @ 100 again) .6 min and .25 @ max magnification.....so I owe you a thanks, I didn't catch that.....for the difference I would go with the moa-h..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. mikeeg02

Like I said, its a great scope. Especially for the money. And the slightly thicker reticle may be just what you desire. Fortunately I still have fantastic shooting eyes. Living it up while it lasts.

5. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Just a quick note to say that I was contacted by a representative of Sightron, and was given a chance to talk awhile with him. FYI, these guys are shooters as well as great people. I am super impressed that this company contacted me !! No sales pitch, no trashing the other mfg' s, just answers and advice for setting up my rifle. And as I told him, it goes a long way when customer service comes first, instead of the sale. I believe the SIII 10x50 will do all I require and probably more.......Thanks for all the replies, your knowledge helped immensely....rsbhunter

6. mikeeg02

7. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Well, I came across a deal that was to good to let pass on a Sightron SIII10-50x60 scope with the MOA article. After talking with someone who shoots alot of long range, I decided I didn't need the IR version. Anyway, D'vor website had the scope for $819.00 with free shipping. I will post back after I get my hands on it....Thanks again for all the advice, and suggestions...rsbhunter

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  8. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

For known distance target shooting, I would forego the busier reticle you cite, in favor of the Target dot:
    SIIISS1050X60LRTD Item# 25138. This having 1/8 moa adjustments

9. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

From all I read, your assessment is correct. But to be honest, I have tried scopes with the thin crosshair and dot, and I just can't get used to it. I don't know how the reticle I am getting is going to work out, as it is a .6 moa dot at min power, and .25 moa at max power. But it will get me into the 500 yd match and give me a chance to evaluate what will work and won't. At worst, I have the reticle and moa clicks changed, at best I have a valid reason to buy a new scope. As I will be using this to play around out to 1000yds, it will be a good entry level scope. But advice from someone who has experience is greatly appreciated...Thank you...rsbhunter

10. mikeeg02

Personally, I like the MOA-2 reticle (just hash marks) for hold off on 850-1,000 yard silhouettes. I also did well with it at 200-500 yard ground hog paper matches. But for a dual purpose scope, I like the thinner and MOA styled reticle the NF comps have. Half the thickness to benefit paper, and with lines for hold off for Ridgway matches. So I picked up two of them.

Each shooter has their preference. I prefer to hold off using the lines. People that have been shooting since before they were available generally prefer target dot for their hold off. A very competitive friend of mine has the MOA styled reticle on his comp, and it messes him up, because he is used to holding off with just a target dot. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

With rcbshunter admitting to having trouble seeing finer reticles, I would imagine the MOA reticle on the sightron will do him well.

11. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

recieved my Sightron SIII 10-50x60 MOA 2 today and mounted it on my 6.5 creedmoor Savage 12FV Cabelas special. Used Burris XTR Signature medium rings, as the cheap scope i had on it wouldn't adjust enough to zero windage or elevation. It mounted with the rings at approx 8 moa from bottom of elevation with a 20 moa rail. I am waiting on my Forster FL sizing die so i can send it to Forster and have the neck honed to .002 under seated neck dia. ANYWAY, im really impressed with it so far. Turrets are solid, clicks are firm, not mushy at all. The parallax adjustment is stiff, but im ok with it. Looking at trees and roof tops, all the way to 50 power was clear....but this is just a off the cuff review. I have a Zeiss conquest and a Leupold VX3 that when i get some ammo loaded, i will take all out and look at ranges from 100-1000 yards and get a much better evaluation of it. But so far i'm impressed and think it will do all that i need...rsbhunter

mikeeg02 likes this.