Sightron SIII 10x50 MOA-h for long range

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by rsbhunter, Feb 10, 2018.

1. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Pretty much have decided on this brand (subject to change by the minute). But seriously, my budget doesn't allow more than $1200 for a scope. i hope to get into the 500-1000 yd shoots (6"x6" steel @ 500 yds) at my local club. The rifle is a 6.5 Creedmore Savage FV. I am looking at the MOA-H reticle and can't decide whether there would be any benefit to getting it in the IR model? I know that being in S.E. New Mexico, the mirage will keep me in the lower power in summer, but i believe in the better to have and not need , yada yada....The IR may not be needed either, but once again....Not having shot in comp , i honestly am looking for feedback on my pick. IF i had the $$$ i would buy S&B , or NF or .... But at this price range i can afford a decent br stock, and $$ for load workup and other needed stuff. Also, Sightron offers the same scope in 1/8" adjustments, but SEEMS to be an air rifle scope ???? Models are 25016, 25017 (ir) and 25018 (1/8" ir)...Thanks for any help, as i am a total nube to the LR game....rsbhunter

2. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Buy w/confidence on any Sightron model. Its more scope
    than you are actually paying for. LDS

3. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on Larry's comments.

There's a few reasons why I have four of the 10-50's & six of the 8-32's - They are an excellent scope and I've not had one bit of trouble out of any of them to date. - They track great & have stood up to use on everything from a 50 BMG to a .223 A.I. - Optically clear and quality built. - One of the Very Best Scopes on the market for the price !! - The SVSS (10-50x MOA Ret) series is my favorite Sightron scope.

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  4. kzin

kzin

There are a ton of models out for that scope. Take your time and get just what you want.

I would definitely go with 1/8. Looks like the only real difference for the airgun model is the giant side focus wheel?
    That actually might be a nice plus as the sensitivity of the focus is the one thing about mine that concerns me.
    I don't know if the big wheel would ever be clumsy or in the way.

I don't have IR and never wish I did. I prefer a simple reticle but all my shooting is done at known distance with sighters.

5. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Thanks for the replies, they really help reinforce my thoughts....as far as the ir, I probably won't use it, but as I am on a budget(retired) this maybe my one shot at a scope in this range without selling other things. I am going to call Sightron and verify the 1/8" moa being used on a centerfire...if they say it's good to go, it will probably be the way I go....any more opinions or thoughts will be great, this site is one of the few that give info based it the questions asked....rsbhunter

47WillysGuy likes this.
  6. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Well, after looking at the Sightron catalog for the 1/8" moa scope (25018), it states" Preciscion parallax adjustment between 10 and 300 yards" It might be possible to have Sightron change it to a long range parallax, I don't want to go through the hoops and expense having it done....so it narrows it down to ir or not...Rsbhunter

7. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I had the 8-32x56 with the LRMOA reticle on a 300RUM and the scope held zero and had no issues at all on that high powered beast. Sightron is a good scope for your budget and needs. You will not regret it...

Best Regards
    Rick

8. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Rick, thanks for the info, I have a custom 300 RUM on a 700 that is wicked accurate with 210 vld's and retumbo..out to 500yds so far...in fact, it might be a reason for my 2nd Sightron...NEWS FLASH!!!!!!! In the 2018 Sightron catalog , the Custom Shop is now showing a ZERO STOP available for siii 6-24x50 , 8-32x56, AND 10-50x60 product lines with tactical knobs that will be installed by them.....I think that settles my decision, here in a week I will be ordering a SIII 10-50x60 with the moa-h ir, and after calling them about details on the zero stop feature, I might send it to them...I will post my take on the scope when I get it, although I can only compare it to a Zeiss 6.5x20 Conquest.....the zero stop option might make alot more people take a serious look at the Sightron products...Rsbhunter

9. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Latest50shooter...you stated that the svss 10-50 is your favorite Sightron, I would really appreciate a comparison on that vs the Siii 10-50....what is the optical difference, is it any clearer at the top end (50) than the siii...the fine parallax is said to be fantastic....in other words, if you had to go above your budget and give up a couple months in waiting to build your rifle, do you feel it would be worth it? Thanks for your opinion and evaluation......rsbhunter

10. TerryH

TerryH Silver $$ Contributor

I have the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 LRIRMOA, MOA-2 on my F-T/R Rifle and I love it. It is .25 MOA click value but that hasn't been an issue for me. Very clear even at full mag. I like the IR being only the center dot. It's not an absolute must have but is handy in very low light/super cloudy conditions. I have another rifle with a Vortex Golden Eagle and the SIII glass is definitely comparable and the SIII seems brighter. I buy another in a heart beat.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  11. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Terry, thanks for the review, the illuminated reticle is something I'm considering,as being in my 60's, the eyes aren't what they were. I have read reviews that people have lost the dot with a black on black target/reticle situation. I may not need it, but if I did, the price difference might seem small. Honestly, I'm at the point where it MIGHT be a smart idea to go over my budget by a little and get the svss series, but the weight difference is almost holding me back more than the price, but this will be a long range rifle, so........the decision will be made in about a week, so I'll still read any comments posted, and find a way to decide...

LA50SHOOTER and TerryH like this.
  12. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot rim fire IR5050 and ARA as well as some 100 Yard rim fire with a Custom Hall/benchmark and a 54 Super Match in the stock class. I also shoot 1-2-3 hundred yard centerfire with a Hall 6BR/shilen, 1-2-3-4 hundred meters and 1000 yard steel with a worked 700/lilga in 243. At one point they all had Leupold 35x to 45x Competitions on them. At 67 years old and several eye surgeries they now ALL have Sightrons (8-32's and 10-50's). I wont say it's better glass even if I think so but definitely more light to my old eyes. The 10-50 Sightron does have slight issues with the parallax focus knob being very touchy to set but not a big deal after you get used to it. I am thinking of making a larger knob for it.

What I do when I get a new scope and the beginning of a new match year is shoot the box test.. 2 shots, click right, 2 shots click down,2 shots click left, 2 shots click up. The result should be a box (given your rifle and load is correct), if not the scope is not repeating.

I will say two of the Leupolds had to go back for service. This is NOT a hit at them since they have fantastic customer service and since any scope can fail regardless of price. However, in the past two years of heavy use all the Sightrons are still functioning as new. Don't know about their customer service since I have not had to use it other than have a reticle change on one and it was no problem.

Just my $.02

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  13. LA50SHOOTER

The SVSS line is presently Sightron's top of the line scope and I feel at 50x it is optically clearer than the SIII.
    I feel that the SVSS's are right up with the NightForce Comp scope & even March as far as optical clarity. And I have several NF & March's as well (that I've compared with). - The Focus (has a course & fine) adjustments are a pleasure to use. - They are a heavy scope and are very well built.
    The two SVSS's that I have are mounted on a 28 Nosler (was featured in the daily bulletin) and a 338 Lapua Imp.
    If weight isn't an overwhelming factor & your looking for the best Sightron has to offer the SVSS is probably a scope you should consider & yes IMO it is worth the extra money (and waiting time). - I prefer the MOA reticle over the Mil-Hash reticle as well as the clicks. - The click adjustment values are .05 MRAD or 1/4 MOA. - The only down side is that they do not offer 1/8th MOA in the SVSS model.

14. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

rsbhunter

Have you had the opportunity to look through the model(s) you are considering? If not, recommend you wait for your next club match and take a look through other competitor's scopes. Opinions on clarity, reticle, brightness, etc vary based on each individuals vision. If possible look through other brands in the similar price range. Vortex Golden Eagle and NF 12-42 (used can easily be found in your price range) are a couple worth looking at. I'm not saying they will be better, just different. Let your vision steer you to the optic that will meet your needs.

Good Shooting

Rich

dmoran and daleboy like this.
  15. LA50SHOOTER

+1 On what Rich has stated !! - Everyone's eyes are not the same. (Beauty is "in the eyes" of the beholder).

16. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

I will try and make the next match, I haven't met alot of the guy's who shoot, as I haven't had a toy to bring to the game...but as shooters, we are almost always friendly enough to let a fellow shooter look at their set up' s...wish I had a decent store of the big name to look through, but I am 180 miles from a cabelas, or gun shop big enough to carry decent glass.....As to the SVSs and 1/4 min moa , I need to realize that this is my fun, not my living. I used to be super critical of my lack of perfection, now, I enjoy the journey more than the result. I have found a SVSS for $1600 . For that amount over budget, I think I can sell some items I have that I no longer need (Swarovski 12x50 EL' s ) that are to heavy, and maybe a weapon that hasn't been shot for a looong time......Either way, this is ALOT easier with all your input and knowledge...Thanks again, and any info is greatly appreciated....rsbhunter

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    TerryH likes this.
  17. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

I have been doing research on 30mm vs 34mm tubes, and other than amount of article travel and sturdiness, there isn't much to gain, other than weight. If I wanted to go for the ed glass, that would be different..'buttons the $$$$ keep going up and up....gonna stick with the SIII series for now...

LarryDScott and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  18. LA50SHOOTER

You won't go wrong with your choice - The SIII's are excellent for the cost. - There are several top "F" class shooters using them with good success - So that speaks for itself IMO.

LarryDScott and TerryH like this.
  19. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

LA50SHOOTER, I know that if I was shooting a 338 lapua, cheytac, or 50 cal, I would definitely upgrade to the SVSS. I really want to thank all of you for the the positive info I was given, and advice....this site has the most dependable info I have found. I will still give my thoughts on the scope when I get it, once I calm down !! I only wish I had the knowledge to contribute to others that I have recieved from the members here....rsbhunter

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  20. Pvt.Donut

Pvt.Donut

The only thing I can say negatively about Sightron is their lack of a zero stop. Heck, even if they included a shim pack to set a manual zero-stop I'd be content. Otherwise great optics.