Sightron or Leupold

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Mark McMahon, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

Looking at the Sightron Slll 6-24 and the Leupold Vx3i 8.5-25, at the high end of the magnification, who has the clearest glass?

2. varget204

varget204

I'd get a Sightron III 8-32 x 56

corsair4360, rr2030, Don and 2 others like this.
  3. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

They both have clear glass.Unless you can get behind both to take a look for yourself you have a 50/50 chance of getting the scope that will seem brightest to your eyes.

4. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I own both the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 LR and SIII 6-24x50. Both so close I cannot say which is better Optically. I've had the Leupold longer and can say it's all but bulletproof. Still tracks flawlessly. My SIII's are top notch as well. I'd say buy which offers the best value(cheapest). Today it typically is the Sightron scope.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    corsair4360, varget204 and McGraw like this.
  5. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

I have the sightron SS III 8-32 and it is fantastic scope. I also have other Leupold scopes and would definitely buy another sightron.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

I have had Leupold VXIII's, Sightron SIII's and I have more than a few reasons why I like the Sightron better..

Ray

284winner, varget204 and McGraw like this.
  7. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

I have both and my nod goes to Sightron, Nothing wrong with the Leupold but Sightron for me has clearer views, better tracking.

8. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

They're both good. Note, the Slll ffp reticle gets really small on low power. I couldn't see it with old eyes. If it matters to you. Mike

9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure the speediness of getting to talk to a tech person would be my deciding factor. Both have good warranties. I always get to speak with a Leupold tech person but sometimes there's wait time. Never tried Sightron as they are newer to my lineup. Can't go wrong with either. Again, price will be different between the two however. Leupold has the roots that Sightron doesn't but that doesn't scare me into the Leupold corner at all these days.

Don and Mark McMahon like this.
  10. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I made a switch to Sightron for my F/Class Rifle .
    Had Leupold and GE .
    Not looking back .

simo hayha and 284winner like this.
  11. fourpower

fourpower

I have had both but the last Leupold would not sight in! shot 1in 1/2 left ended moving dials 10 clicks to the right and it never moved until the 10 clicks were in and then and then it moved way to right. I sent the scope in 6 times and it never got fixed and they always said it was okay! bullshit! I took it back to store and got my first Sightron and man what a scope. I have since got 2 more of them and love there new zero stop. I live in Oregon but no more Leupolds for me!!!!

lukehalee likes this.
  12. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

does anyone have the sightron 8 - 32 with fine cross hair and 0.125 dot ? Do you find the crosshair and dot too small target shooting from 100 to 300 yds ?

Ironworker likes this.
  13. Steve Donlon

Steve Donlon Gold $$ Contributor

I have that same Leupold and got it because of the reticle. I also have a 7x42 with the same reticle. With my 72 year old eyes, that is most important to me. The glass is also very clear. I don't like all that the information on a scope that is why I like that reticle. If I have to adjust for wind, I just pick an object that is where I need to go. The wind blows so many directions up here in the mountains that by the time you clicked the windage, it would have changed.

14. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

NF BR 12 x 42 would not hold point of aim but had great glass, got rid of it. Pair of Leupold Competitons from about 2003, bullet proof good glass. Pair of Golden Eagles hold POI and repeat great, best value for the money. Just order a new Sightron with the ED glass 10 x 50, was very impressed with the glass and fine parellex adjustment on the one I looked through at the range. All I know , like Steve, these 72 yr old eyes need all the help they can get.

15. corsair4360

corsair4360

I have three Sightron SIII's with the MOA-2 reticle. Not sure which reticle you are referring to. Mine are a few years old, work great. I use them for shooting from 50 to 1,000 yards

284winner likes this.
  16. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Sightron

17. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

Both are fine scopes. I'd opt for the lesser expensive of the two. Leupold has the reputation behind it, but you will pay for that. The SIII is a very good scope though, and you won't regret the purchase.

18. lpreddick

lpreddick Gold $$ Contributor

I have 4 of these on my target/ varmint guns. The small dot is perfect for my targets. Varmint hunting is a little tricky as one can lose the dot in shade. A little practice makes this easier. I own Leupolds and Nightforce scopes but would buy Sightrons in preference.

19. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Leopold has been riding its reputation far too long. They are getting passed up right and left. Sorta like what happened to Remington.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

I have both OP referenced scopes. Recently had both and a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 at 1000yd range early one foggy a.m. The Leupy looked clearer and crisper that morning. Did same compare another day with bright sun. They all looked the same. I have several NF and Sightrons but only the 1 Leupy. I dont like how the reticle zooms up (gets bigger) with the FFP. EuroOptic had the FFP scope and Midway had the SFP model last time I looked.