Sierra Varminter 55 grain 0.224" spitzer load?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Dirt farmer, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Dirt farmer

Dirt farmer

I'm new to reloading and have had two boxes (qty 100 each) of Sierra Varminter 55 grain 0.224" spitzer I've been packing around for 30 years. I'm going to develop a load for my Olympic Arms AR-15 with 20 inch heavy barrel. I'm unsure of the barrel twist rate but assume it's 1:9. I see in the Sierra literature for these bullets #1345 that they recommend no faster twist than 1:12 or the bullet may "disintegrate in mid-air".
    I also bought plastic sabots from EABCO 30 years ago to shoot these 223 bullets (actually 0.224") loaded in 30-06 cases, similar to Remington Accelerator ammo. Can anyone recommend a powder and load for these bullets and the AR-15? Has anyone done the "accelerator" hand load and can you suggest a powder and load you use? Should I be worried about bullet disintegration in midair? I'd appreciate any and all input here as I'm currently tempted to toss the 2 boxes of bullets and start over from square one.

2. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Toss em. So just suppose you find a "good load" for these. You likely can't purchase anymore, so you're back to square one. There are too many good bullet choices available at reasonable prices to waste powder and barrel on what you have. JMO, others may well disagree.

3. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Unless your barrel is rough I see no reason why you can't just load a moderate load for 223 from any good manual and shoot them up. I doubt you will over spin them to "disinigrate" but if they do, you will see the puff and on target if they make it will show blurs and keyholes. Or, simply send them to me, I will pay shipping. I promise they will only blow up on a groundhog.

that said, take the accelrators and dump em in the trash bin. Total crap. I would never run one in a gas gun personally, and in a bolt gun I got wonderful 4 inch groups...

Mark W likes this.
  4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I just worked up some good a 55 gr load using 25 gr benchmark. Nosler balistic tips
    Wifes ar is 1n9 w/16" pipe. Mine is pof 15 1n8 also 16". Accurate out of both, under half in groups with both rifles

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. RussellJ

RussellJ

Here is a page out of the Sierra Reload Manuel for the 1345 Bullet.

Attached Files:

BCsaw likes this.
  6. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Ok, those are the very thin jacket Blitz. They were designed for about 3200 fps and a 12-14 twist, to pop open and blow up on small critters.

You can try them, but you will likely find they come apart. I ran some blitz fast thruogh a 22-250 and on occasion had them come apart.

7. Dirt farmer

Dirt farmer

Perfect info, thanks

8. 2506

Those will work in any 223/5.56. When the 55 Sierra blitz came out many years ago I gave them a try out of a Savage bolt rifle I had. They shot great with AA2230. They became my go to groundhog killing bullet in that rifle. Yep they BLITZ groundhogs. You can get good results with many powders. H335, WW748, AA2230, AR-Comp,TAC are just a few. Sierra actually list RL7 load as the accuracy load for ARs in their manual.

9. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Those 55g blitz should work well with 26.5g of Win 748, very accurate bullets.

10. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I've shot a ton of the 55 Varminter #1345 out of both an AR and a 223 bolt rifle. They're GREAT bullets. A stiff load of Hodgdon Ball C 2 and a Rem 7.5. People think because they're an old style bullet they are out dated. I've always found them as or more accurate as any varmint bullet and extremely frangible! They are great for ground squirrels and completely unglue in them. Don't be afraid the seat them well off the lands. I shot the same load in my AR and 223 bolt gun which put the bullet over 1/4" off the lands in the bolt rifle and it would agg around .400 for 5 5 shot groups. They may not look as fancy and cool as tipped bullets but they absolutely perform as well or better.

11. F224

F224 Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve loaded and shot hundreds of these in both 22/250’s and 223’s. Try a just under max load of WW 748, unless your barrel is totally shot out, they will work great.