Sierra tmk

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by johnmyers, Mar 1, 2016.

1. johnmyers

johnmyers Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone used Sierra TMKs for hunting, if so how do they perform

2. Catfish

Catfish

??? Do you mean SMK?? If so the I have loaded the 22 cal. bullets for varmints. The 52 and 53 SMK`s work great at 22-250 velocities and the 80 gr. SMK`s will really do a number on coyotes at 3,000 fps. I have never used them at 223 velocities but have heard the 52 & 53 gr. bullets do well at those velocities.

3. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

CATFISH I THINK HE'S SPEAKING OF THE TIPPED MATCH KING,I HAVEN'T TRIED THOSE ON VARMINTS YET. I'M CURIOUS HOW THEY WOULD PREFORM MYSELF.

4. johnmyers

What Stacey said the new TMKs

5. 5spd

5spd

6. cdparker

cdparker Gold $$ Contributor

Just FYI All the great target shooters buy their Sierras from O.K. Weber. http://www.okweber.com/sierra-bullets/rifle-bullets/22-caliber?page=2 He ships flat rate. Great family to work with. Besides, he and his wife are shooters. Check with him before you buy.
    MHOFWIW
    Craig

7. Catfish

Catfish

Boy, I didn`t even know they had them on the market. I have enough Sierra Match King bullets on hand to last me for several years so I have not been paying attention. Duuuua.

8. sscoyote

sscoyote

Lovin' the 69. Very 1st coyote this season was at 350ish, and it didn't even get out of it's bed. Meat report at 3075 mv was impressive. Next dog below that was at 150ish and had a quarter-sized exit wound typical of several others I've had at the closer ranges. Displayed violent expansion on a 250-yd. jackrabbit--
    Here next to the 53 V-Max-
    [​IMG]
    Here seated to VLD magazine length of ~2.460"
    [​IMG]

350ish--
    [​IMG]

~150 best fur this season--

[​IMG]

Pretty sure the 69 TMK is gonna' become the predator hunting bullet out of my AR besting both the 53 V-Max and 65 SGK somewhat. Haven't run a relative comparison yet, but I'm sure it'll beat the 53 at ~3500 for windage and energy downrange.

Just ran them and at 500 yds. at the vels. mentioned above the 69 has about 1.5 MOA more drop, about .6 MOA less windage, and 130 ftlbs. more energy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    sawcarver likes this.
  9. johnmyers

Thanks sscoyote I bet the 6&7mm will work well on deer size game

10. sscoyote

sscoyote

Yes, i agree--certainly worth a try.

11. fredo

fredo

Very nice, Steve!
    That VLD mag you run is super cool. Lets that new TMK sit out long, where it wants to be!

12. sscoyote

sscoyote

I agree Fredo, it works great once tweaked a bit.

13. Huckleberry75

Huckleberry75

What powder are you running? TIA

14. Huckleberry75

Huckleberry75

I run them in my 20" 223ai/9tw. They literally blew the tail off of an armadillo at 65yds and left a hole ...no, cavity about the size of a softball in the Keister end of his shell. Nasty nasty sight. That's the only flesh I have tried them on, but have plans to do further field testing on yotes.

15. sscoyote

sscoyote

H, i'm running Varget in mine

16. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Ok Steve, what's the secret on the VLD magazine? Once again you have peaked my interest Sir!

Adam

17. Huckleberry75

Huckleberry75

Thx sir.

18. sscoyote

sscoyote

Hey Adam--what's up?, The DPMS VLD Mag. was built by some guy years ago for DPMS, but when the guy died they no longer made it. I tried to get some guys to pick it up but couldn't get any takers, except one on Longrangehunting, and then i dropped the ball so-to-speak, and nothing ever got done with it. It does fill a bit of a niche, and some of the highpower guys had them and liked them, though they were never that popular. But it works great out of my rig, but did require some tweaking to the feed lips, and i think my gunsmith adjusted the spring too, but i can't remember now. There were at least a couple different types made as i had 3 of these in years past, but only 2 now. They also require a special bolt stop as well, that needs to be changed out.

19. sscoyote

sscoyote

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  20. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Hmm, that could probably be done with some time a plastic. I also read about guys cutting the front of their mag out to run longer COL. Maybe I will have to play with it. Eric said my new looooong range pistol should be ready to pick up next week so I better hurry up playing with the AR. Thanks Steve