Sierra 6mm 107gr MK and Berger 105 VLD Hunting bullet, head to head?

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by SteveOak, Jun 6, 2018.

1. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of the Sierra 6mm 107gr MK and Berger 6mm 105 VLD Hunting bullets with respect to BC and accuracy?

I am interested in results at 421 yards.

2. 370bc

370bc Silver $$ Contributor

I am in the market for a 6mm-06 build from a Tikka T3x and would be probably be shooting one of these 2 for coyote sniping at distance. Pass the popcorn!

3. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

The results will depend on your skills at shooting and reloading. My 6br prefers 107SMKs with Varget and RL-15 running neck & neck for accuracy.

perry42

4. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

Your barrel will tell you what it likes. My SLR with a 7.5 twist prefers the 110 SMK to Berger 105 hybrids, so that’s what I’m running.
    Not an answer to the question, but I hope it helps,

Lloyd

Idaho-Lefty, SPJ and SteveOak like this.
  5. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

My latest br barrell definitely prefers 107mk and Varget compared to any other combination... was easy to tune and shoots small, I use it for 400m and 500m benchrest. 10jump 30gns...

Idaho-Lefty and SPJ like this.
  6. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Don't be afraid to put 107's in the lands, sometimes alot. You may be very pleasantly rewarded.

cmillard, boltfluter and SPJ like this.
  7. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

Seems to be a minority response, that you are having success with the SMK 110's at all.

I wonder if the 110 is just a little more sensitive to tune? It seems as though it should be an excellent bullet. I have a hard time believing Sierra would introduce a new bullet that didn't shoot.

In my case I am doing everything I can to avoid a faster than 8 twist barrel although the .617 BC of the 110 is very tempting. :)

8. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

The BC is just a number, like velocity. If it doesn’t shoot small in your setup, it’s wortless. Like a fellow shooter told me years ago. “those knobs on the sight, they are adjustable “.
    Lloyd

9. STOMP442

STOMP442 Silver $$ Contributor

I am also running the 110 with great results. I built a rifle specifically with this bullet in mind and it shoots amazing. No complaints from me.

Idaho-Lefty and dmoran like this.
  10. Willow

Willow

My 6BRA likes the Berger VLD.

11. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

I'm sure by the way you worded your question that you would prefer objective test data, but I'll offer this observation anyway. I'm up to my 4th 6BR. I started the journey back in 2006. Back then the Berger 105 (what became the VLDH) outperformed the Sierra 107 on most every front--better bc, better accuracy, and I could drive them about 50 fps faster. Fast forward to last year, when I bought a used 6BR from a fellow that said it shot well with Sierra 107's. So I bought a box of Sierra's and I was surprised (more like shocked) at how well they shot. The lot of Sierra's also measured more consistent BTO. I'll be testing the Sierra's in my other rifles shortly.

So either I got an exceptional lot of Sierra's or they have really upped their game. I believe its the latter.

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  12. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Some days are better than others :cool:

Attached Files:

13. Drop Port

Drop Port

This sums it up, both are good bullets pick the one that shoots small. Since this is posted in ELR it is unclear if "421 yards" is your intended shooting distance or just test range, either way BC at that distance is a wash and doesn't even come into play. I tested both bullets in may current 6br and it loves 107''s. For me any of the 105 class bullets are picked on accuracy first, I don't feel the BC differences are significant enough to outweigh accuracy.

JEFFPPC, Idaho-Lefty and Rushty like this.
  14. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Gold $$ Contributor

A lot would depends whether you are hunting or target shooting.

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  15. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC

This is the most objective and accurate answer to this thread. The original question asked can not be answered unless limited to one particular barrel.

Idaho-Lefty and dmoran like this.
  16. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Very well stated !!!

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  17. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

The Berger 105 really seems to come alive at 422 yds and beyond!!:D:D:p

Paul

dantiff2, Idaho-Lefty and 22DASHER like this.