sierra 69 and 77 gr matchkings ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by rebs, Jun 30, 2019.

1. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

I have read these bullets are designed for the AR and like a long jump true or false ?
    In a bolt gun what are you guys seating these bullets to ?
    I am seating the 69's to 1.910 to the ogive and 77's to 1.900 to the ogive. Should I be trying a longer jump ?
    This is in a Tikka T3x varmint with 24" heavy barrel.

2. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

I'm shooting the 69 gr. SMK's in my CZ-527. I found the sweet spot for my rifle at .015 off of touch. They have to be single loaded since they are to long for the magazine. I also found H-335 works well. I'm loading 24.0 grains but start low and work up. I'm seating 1.882 base to ogive to get the .015 jump but this will vary depending on your freebore and lot of bullets.

joshb likes this.
  3. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

I have jumped 77s and 80s from .015" - .040" with most consistent grouping at the longer end of the scale. Sierra's are not THAT consistent but should be within +/-.003" BTO. If you seat deeper the difference in length is negated. At least for me!
    FWIW the Marine 29 Palms Rifle Team used to use the 77s to 1000yds. in Service Rifle.
    Not sure what they are doing now...

4. rebs

Thank you for the replies. I will try a longer jump

5. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Rebs- I suggest you look at Berger Bullet site- They have a procedure to find the proper jump. It is not limited to Bergers and works just fine. Just remember, if you are using a semi auto and/or magazine, you are going to be limited to SAAMI specs.

6. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

In an AR, the 69's were the go to bullet a few decades ago. I still use them for 200 and 300 yard line. At 600 you single load, so I use Hornady 75 gr. As far as bullet jump, the 69's don't care much where you put them. Just load to mag length. The 75's are less forgiving. In a bolt gun, I use 80 gr. Berger but they may be too long for a factory rifle without pushing them deep into the powder space. My wife has a .223 that shoots 69's very well. Better than others bullets tried, out to 600 yards. Don't forget the Hornady 68 gr HPBT. Very much the equal of the Serria 69.

7. rebs

I called the Sierra tech line and the guy recommended loading the 69's and 77's to mag length for an AR and 20 thousands off the lands in my bolt gun. He said they were designed to jump very well.