Sierra 6.5 130gr Tipped BT Hunting Bullet

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Prose, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Prose

Prose

Let me preface that I don't know nothing about nothing, but I have been preferential to Sierra Bullets for a long time. I do not use them exclusively, but they are my first choice and I always check their offerings.

I have the following argument, many actually, some are probably not factual but hey this is the internet. What sticks, what doesn't?

6.5 130 gr HPBT GameKing, why not put a Plastic tip on there like they recently did with the matchking? The tipped MK has been a huge hit, and I believe the tipped version of the hollow point would give you a high enough BC and SD bullet, that shoots flatter than the 140-147 crowd, at reasonable hunting distance.

Everyone else is offering heavy and long for caliber tipped bullets and it is costing people velocity and capability. The 130 Tipped GameKing could be marketed as faster, flatter shooting, and more accurate than the 140-147 grain bonded and ELD bullets that are selling very well. There are no tipped 130's on the market that are cup and core design, and that's what most people actually want. The 130 could be loaded into more factory offerings than the others since magazine length would not be as great an issue, lending toward better ballistics at realistic hunting ranges.

After all that rambling, it sure would be nice to see tips on all the gamekings am I right! Maybe I'll buy out Sierra bullets and do it my way :p Can you imagine NEW SIERRA TIPPED GAMEKINGS!

2. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

You would be cutting down on the penetration and perhaps the bone breaking ability of the tipped version, with cost increasing perhaps $4 per box.

3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Silver $$ Contributor

Like the Hornady ELDX ?

4. STOMP442

STOMP442 Silver $$ Contributor

Just use the Tipped Match King. I have first hand knowledge and seen the video of a 175gr TMK out of a .308 drop a bull elk at over 700 yards. Probably not the best choice for long range elk hunting but it sure worked that time. They seem to provide similar performance on game as the old Amax.

5. Prose

Prose

Nah. The ELD-X literally is none of the things that I mentioned. They do, however, have 129 interlocks and interbonds that are exactly like I mentioned. Nosler also has the 130 accubonds, which are great bullets, but none of these are what I want. I want a tipped sierra gameking. Cup and Core style with no cannalure.

Using a match bullet on game has got to be one of the most unethical things a hunter could do. Sure it might work at 700 yards on the internet, but that is really impractical advice to an ethical shooter.

6. Prose

Prose

Lots of folks shooting ballistic tips, silver tips, tipped interlocks and interbonds, and many others with success. A tip just covers a hollow point after all.

7. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot a lot of ballistic tips and silver tips with no problems...none. The addition of a plastic tip may mean that thicker jackets, higher antimony content in the core may need to be adjusted. Some of the early sst's were bombs.

8. Prose

Prose

9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

They now offer the Game changer in a tipped version of a hunting bullet. A 130 in the 6.5 is available

10. 284winner

11. Larryh128

Larryh128

Call me crazy but I just shoot Barnes 127gr LRX bullets. More $, yes they are, BUT how many do you shoot hunting? They shoot great and terminal performance is un-matched in a cup & core bullet. I've done a lot of cull shooting with everything from a 223 to 300 mags and shot a bunch of different bullets. I thought that I had the perfect bullet until I shot my 1st Barnes. That opinion changed instantly. The TTSX's shoot great but the addition of the LRX series puts them in the league of other low drag bullets. They are worth a try, you won't go back. P.S. no need to kiss the lands, they work great in mag lengths.

perry42 likes this.
  12. Prose

Prose

Completely agree with you. Hornady has come a long way and their performance and value is very very good, but after calling Sierra for years asking for this I feel I'm pot committed!

Sierra's always foul my guns less than any other bullet and meet my accuracy and consistency expectations. Pretty confident it will again win the head to head in my rifles.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    284winner likes this.
  13. 284winner

Great point. Not saying 10.00 should make or break anyone shooting for accuracy during hunts but many guys will stick with the lesser cost