Shoulder fire accuracy

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Tex_SedX, Jan 8, 2019.

1. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

2. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

At our club we refer to Offhand as Awfulhand.

Rustytigwire and AJC like this.
  3. JMayo

JMayo

Silhouette shooting I always put my elbow against my ribs with rifle laying in my palm.
    The little pigs and chickens were safe for the most part !

AJC likes this.
  4. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

Goggle “lever action rifle shooting” and you’ll get multiple sites showing rifle handling.

5. AJC

AJC

Turkeys were the worst for me. I guess the left right is more of a problem for me than up down.

6. Beau

Beau

Pick up an AR15 and go shoot some Highpower. That will teach you to shoot from your hands.

7. Bart B.

Bart B.

Load the magazine while blinded with 1/3 live rounds and 2/3 dummy. Shoot them until you don't flinch when the dummy's in the chamber. Repeat as needed

Repeat with 2 live and the rest dummies. Several times.

1shot likes this.
  8. Tex_SedX

Tex_SedX

Thank you Nicholst55, this is amazing information. Exactly what I was looking for. Not once did it reference dressing up in a costume, just solid information.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/basic_highpower_info/SR_Shooting_Guide_AMU031204.pdf

If anyone has a more detailed or updated revision I would love to review.

9. KentuckyFisherman

KentuckyFisherman

I think this explains a lot of your problem, if the goal is to shoot more accurately. Many of us grew up watching "The Rifleman," where Chuck Connors shot from the hip "Bang! Bang! Bang!" as fast as he could work the lever. That's fine, but it was for TV, entertainment.

In another comment you mentioned that you shoot mostly for enjoyment, for entertainment. Nothing wrong with that, and we call it plinking. And that kind of shooting frequently gets you 8-inch groups at 25 yards.

It's your call, but IMHO if you want to shoot more accurately, you need to slow way down. After you improve your basics then you can speed up some and retain some of that accuracy, but it's going to take a lot of practice. You just need to decide on your goals.

10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Watch old reruns of the Rifleman,
    Just messing Bro!
    Hang in there and report back

11. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Buy a self defense shotgun and some buckshot.

seymour fish, Joe Salt and rammac like this.
  12. rammac

rammac

So you picked an inherently less accurate rifle (a short barreled take down lever action rifle in a pistol caliber),
    you want to shoot it fast,
    you want it for self defense at 25 yards or less,
    you don't really understand how to use a sling,
    you technique is so poor that you can't get any better than an 8 inch group at 25 yards,

...and you want to see single hole groups...o_O

It sounds to me like you're still in pistol mode, your intended use doesn't match up with what a rifle is built for.

Try going to an Appleseed training event, if you have the patience to actually listen and practice what they teach you'll know how to shoot a rifle when it's over. Their courses are based on Marine Corps Marksmanship techniques and they are very effective if you use them properly.

13. Tex_SedX

Tex_SedX

So after reading the SERVICE RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP GUIDE and practicing the techniques listed there my group sizes have been cut in half and center ring impacts have doubled! Thanks again Nichols.

The guide mentions logging groups in a notebook at every range trip, googling how to accurately measure groups I'm a bit confused. All the guides I read reference measuring the 2 furthest holes, but they don't mention anything about distance from the aiming point. It seems like the aim point should be considered?

14. AJC

AJC

Your sights might not be set exactly to center of target so you measure the group to know your inputs. There is cell phone cell software that you can do this analysis with a picture. The quality of ammo will have an effect on your group size and the capability of the gun. If you want a reference shoot off a bench with the same ammo to see relatively your deviation.

15. people

people

Ok tons of bad advice in this thread and some good advice. Your groups are still good enough to be very combat effective. Do not over look that fact. How well you can shoot a hand gun does not matter one bit as you are trying to get better with your rifle.

This is not a hard and fast training class on how to shoot fast and accurately. Doing these things every day will make you fast and accurate.

You need to get it in your hands every day. EVERY DAY. Make sure it is empty then practice presenting the rifle. Pick something to aim at. Then get in to position over and over. Like low ready to aiming or rifle at your waist to aiming You can choose how many times or how long you want to do this.

When you come back using snap caps or some other training aid present the rifle fire one snap cap, work the action and fire a second snap cap. The goal is to do this smooth and clean. Speed will come.

At the range you will have to work out how much ammo you want to spend. Just starting out a single box of 50 should work.
    The following is just an example of what you can do.
    Low ready to present the rifle fire just one round and working the action. Making sure you are breaking good shots. 10 rounds

Next do the same thing but fire a second shot and work the action. Working on doing it smooth and faster. 15 reps for 30 rounds total

The last 10 rounds can be the fun ones. Do double taps from the low ready as fast as you can do them. If you find out you are not getting your hits then slow down.

As you get better you will find out what works for you. Like the where your hands go.

A shot timer would be a great training aid. You can lie to your self but the timer will tell you the truth about your time.

Having your rifle in your hands every day is key. It is not the same but in service rifle shooting they say dry fire every day.

This should get you pretty far along.

16. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

Double taps with a lever action rifle??? Add a few ounces to the tons.

17. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

With respect Jason, The following may be of assistance.
    1, buy yourself a .22 rimfire rifle of decent quality.
    2, buy yourself several bricks (500 rd packages) of .22 rimfire ammo.
    3, research online the Appleseed group. http://appleseedrifleman.com/
    4, find the nearest Appleseed event and attend both days.
    5, take the Appleseed course.
    6, Report back to this forum two months after successfully taking the Appleseed course.

Roger

18. LAH

LAH

I shoot a 94 Winchester 30-30. These rifles mount & cheek great. Used at 25 yards on a man size target, center mass hits should be simple enough once you can shoulder the rifle & work the lever without thinking.

I'll be honest with you though, at 25 yards a shotgun is a better choice for that use.