Shoulder bump guage

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by flopearedmule, Nov 13, 2019.

1. flopearedmule

flopearedmule

Hi
    New to the group. I've been reading this forum for a few months now. Finding all kinds of good info....thanks everyone for all the input!
    I learned how to chamber rifles a few years ago, and I've built a few for family members.
    The last one I built is a .280AI for myself.
    I have shot about 100 rounds in it now and starting to reload so I can do some load development.
    I've been trying to read a lot, hopefully not duplicate a question...…..but,

Here's my first question....I'm wondering where on the shoulder do you guys measure a fire formed brass? In the picture, the fire formed brass measures around .450 right before the shoulder.
    I made a guage with the ID .380 with a slight 45* bevel.
    I'm thinking all I need is a reference number then bump the shoulder a thousands back?? Am I on the right track? I was going to make a guage out of the chamber reamer, but I loaned it out and haven't got it back yet.

I have more questions, but I have to start somewhere. I've always just full length sized and I want to start shooting more accurate, so I have to tool up with some better tools. I bought a good set of full length redding dies and redding press with the competition shell holders.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

muleman69, SPJ, DirtySteve and 2 others like this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

That will work just fine, and like you say, it's just a reference number. Nicely made !.!.!

Welcome and good luck with your endeavors.

3. Paul Hilgedick

Paul Hilgedick

Yes, what you are looking for is a reference number. The gage you made should work, however when you get the reamer back run it in the gage. It will give the correct angle for the shoulder. When I chamber a barrel I use the stub I cut off to make my gage. This way I keep the info from the mfg. in case there is a problem with the barrel.

4. chromatica

chromatica

RCBS Precision Mic (case gauge) will give you the measurement you want. They make a 280 Remington Mic but I haven't seen a 280AI. The upper half of the clamshell comes to rest at the designated datum on the shoulder for the cartridge. I suspect that the 40 degree shoulder of an AI case will displace the micrometer readout, but I believe relative changes could be accurately measured. That is all you need in order to measure the setback of your sizing dies.

mac86951 likes this.
  5. piie

piie

Doesn't the AI version of a cartridge have shoulders that "pivot" on the same datum (which is why you can still chamber a "normal" version of the calibre in an AI chamber)?

6. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

The Ackley version of a cartridge is approximately the same where the shoulder meets the neck. That point isn’t really a datum. The AI different on all other points of the shoulder.

I have a 6BRA and I’m using the Hornady shoulder gauge for generic 6mm cartridges. It touches the shoulder at one point about halfway down but it’s working just fine. While I agree a gauge that’s cut to match the shoulder angle should be a better fit, I can’t identify any inferiority with my current setup.

Mark W and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. paperpuncher

paperpuncher Silver $$ Contributor

I bump .002"

8. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I use the same thing as Paul Hilgedick. I make one for each different chamber that I cut.

9. Webster

Webster

On a few blueprints I have looked at they give a data base line from the head face to half way up the shoulder. Anywhere near the mid-point of the shoulder should work. Your looking for change not a specific number at some exact location on the shoulder.

10. butchlambert

Just make a gizzy like Paul suggested with the same reamer. All you need and the measurement of the gizzy means nothing.

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Here is an example of a gizzy as butch talks about here. No problem to make one from a stub as you chamber a barrel.

image.jpg

dogdude, dgeesaman and butchlambert like this.
  12. butchlambert

That will work.

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

heres the one harrels supplies with their dies. Even simpler

image.jpg

14. flopearedmule

flopearedmule

Thanks everyone! I know now I just need a reference, and when I get my reamer back I'll make a new one.

15. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Your bolt will let you know how much to bump.

16. butchlambert

I wouldn't trust that. In the old days I believed that and bumped my "shoulders" until it chambered and extracted fine. A big mistake. My problem was at the big end of my brass and not headspace. So to size the base I was seriously pushing my shoulders back. Use a "Gizzy" for your headspace measurements. If you still have a problem, check the diameter of the base of your brass. Make or use a small base die.

Mulligan likes this.
  17. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

I hear you. I see a difference in bolt feel between sizing needed at the base (bolt click) and shoulder needing to be pushed back a little more (right bolt close). When I say little, I mean .0005 increments.

18. flopearedmule

flopearedmule

Make or use a small base die.

What the heck is a small base die?

19. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

A die that keeps the bottom of the brass from growing.

Ideally your regular-use full length die has a small base effect so that the brass always stays well sized at the base of the chamber.

David

flopearedmule likes this.
  20. butchlambert

Actually they make dies with a smaller diameter to size brass that is smaller than normal after it is fired.
    That is the reason I spec my reamers about .003 larger at the base.

muleman69 and RGRobinett like this.