Should the Front Rest Rotate

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by wkdickinson, May 28, 2019.

1. wkdickinson

wkdickinson Silver $$ Contributor

OK, I am not new to competitive shooting but I am new to F-class. I have an cast iron Bald Eagle front rest. It appears to be designed so that when you set up, it doesn't rotate, it's locked. Is that the way you should set up? Seems weird that you have to move the front rest to get on target.

2. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

I want my rest to not rotate. I want to set it up so the tracks straight every time so when the gun recoils I push it back to the stop and the crosshairs are where they need to be. If they are not on target then there is a problem with my set up.

If the top of your rest rotates then its not as stable/ridgid as it should be. You should only have to move the rest when you are setting up for a string once you start shooting you shouldnt be moving

Immike likes this.
  3. wkdickinson

wkdickinson Silver $$ Contributor

Got it - thanks!

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

If it moves you wont like it. You shouldnt ever have to move once set up in fclass.

5. JamesnTN

JamesnTN Silver $$ Contributor

There’s a rest I’ve seen that doesn’t lock down I believe it’s a Fulgham <~~ spelling anyways I’ve seen some BR shooters shoot some very small groups using one. I guess it depends mainly on how it’s built and how much play is in it.

LRPV likes this.
  6. Terry O

Terry O Gold $$ Contributor

Randolph Machine makes a rotating center rest with very close tolerances. The IBS 600 Yd nationals was won for the last two years by an individual using one.

LRPV and DBLNUT like this.
  7. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

The Randolph can be locked down. There is a set screw in the post. I would say it would depend on how much of the target you have to traverse as to whether you'd want it locked down or not.
    I leave mine to rotate & while setting up the rifle if the top does rotate a small amount than I don't have the rear bag & rest in perfect alignment. I correct until it doesn't move. I do not want the rifle to bind as I traverse a target.

Keith

JMayo likes this.
  8. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Arnold Jewell made a rotating top several years ago and it worked well for him.