Should one chase the lands in a 6 BRA

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by jamesdmock, Sep 14, 2019.

1. jamesdmock

jamesdmock

My 6BRA chambered Lederer barrel with .268 neck and .104 freebore just surpassed 600 rounds and I checked the wear at the lands. My load with bullets once seated ~.005 into the lands are now jumping ~.005. Evidently I have had .010 wear. Should I adjust my loads by seating them .010 longer? Tony Boyer once told me that he seldom "chased" the lands and shot his ideal depth until the barrel wore out. What is your experience? Thanks, James

2. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

In my opinion, that is a question to be answered only by yourself, and what the tested targets from your rifle and load show you.

GlennK, Terry, JasonPeterson and 5 others like this.
  3. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

Tony's barrels were likely "wore out" when he hit 400 rounds as far as he was concerned.
    I always recheck my seating depth, and seat to keep it the same as when I started, so I suggest, yes, seat them .010 longer.

If you are not using the same lot of bullets, recheck the touch point for each new lot of bullets. I have seen the same part number bullet seat at .10 difference for different lots. Maintaining the same distance into the lands has given me the same performance from different lot numbers of bullets. This is also the reason I buy in 1000 bullet batches of the same lot number.

4. comagutsa

comagutsa

Yeah i have always chased my lands out and when speed drops off from chasing lands and wear and tear i up the load again to get speed back and it keeps on shooting

mikeinct and SPJ like this.
  5. lawman29

lawman29

Now that you know the wear pattern, just add .001 every 60 rounds;)

the badger243 likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

If the barrel is a good one, I would set it back and re crown it while your at it. I am about to myself, have no fear they will still shoot. Maybe better..... jim

BDenver likes this.
  7. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

These questions are answered at the range on paper.. Only paper will give you the correct data.. I like to chase followed with a ladder to verify.. Guys that keep their guns working chase and test/tune.

Ray

Terry, simo hayha, mike a and 2 others like this.
  8. Raythemanroe

Sometimes they shoot better

Ray

Terry likes this.
  9. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I re test seating when my groups start to change, (open up and get a bit erratic) then once determined I seat on the inside of my seating window.
    Yesterday my adjustment ended up being.004 to get back to small and flat.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    mikeinct likes this.
  10. eric n

eric n Gold $$ Contributor

I lose .001 every 15 rounds with mine, I gotta check every time I shoot!
    I can’t go .010 and keep the same accuracy, my window is from .003 to .007 in from touch with hybrids and vlds.
    Maybe I should try working back from hard jam like Boyer? My seating windows always seem to be tiny but I’ve never explored in more then .012.

11. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

James,

Good question but you already know! Sometimes you do! Sometimes you don’t! You just have to test and see!

Bart

12. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

I check and readjust my DIEs every 100 rounds to stay in the same spot in relation to my lands. Some are jammed some are not and they seem to keep on shooting

13. jamesdmock

jamesdmock

Tony abandoned moving back from hard jam several years ago. He adopted a policy of finding "touch" and moving into the lands from there. He does not like to "jump" bullets.

eric n likes this.
  14. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

James,

Are you using gravel to clean the carbon out of your barrel? That seems like a LOT of movement to me. Even back when I used iosso every time I didn't see bare steel I never seen one move at that rate.

Tom

Northridge likes this.
  15. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Gold $$ Contributor

Between round number 205 and round number 753 (503 rounds) my touch point moved .011"on my Krieger. I keep a log. No gravel and occasional IOSSO. I'm pretty sure it's because of a "Special Heat Treatment " that Alex does to insure future work! :D

BTW, the touch point was checked twice during the 503 rounds.

16. Raythemanroe

What wrong with Iosso, I still use it.

Ray

17. jamesdmock

jamesdmock

Am I missing something. You had .011 wear in 503 rounds and I had .010 in 600 rounds and mine seems excessive?

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  18. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Gold $$ Contributor

I'm not sure but you might be missing that I am agreeing with you.

19. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

James,

I'm thinking it sounds a bit abnormally high yes. For me it runs in streaks but averages out to half of what you're saying on a bad one, and some barrels less yet. Just my experiences to date.

Tom

simo hayha likes this.
  20. jamesdmock

jamesdmock

Tom part of my problem is one of our formats. At 300 yards we shoot 3 targets, 10 record shots on each. This along with the 100+ degree weather we have been having is rough on barrels. At 600 we shoot four, 5-shot targets. The barrel is still shooting well but I am going to adjust my seating depth. Thanks, James

Dusty Stevens and mikeinct like this.