ShotMarker - the personal 8-mic e-target

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by adamjmac, Feb 5, 2018.

1. adamjmac

adamjmac

Please check out my new product: the ShotMarker, a $799 8-sensor e-target optimized for personal use! Available in April.

www.theshotmarker.com

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    foxguy, Jet, ED3 and 3 others like this.
  2. CADDIE5

CADDIE5

Thanks for the fast email reply to my questions about compatibility with our range setup.
    Steve

3. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

Adam,

Some questions I have regarding your new system:

How difficult/ practical would it be to use this system with multiple target frames (of various sizes).

What I'm pondering is a large, robust, permanently constructed target frame for mid to long range use in a typical carrier - that could be stored at the range, as well as a smaller frame, designed for disassembly and portability in the trunk of a small car, to be used elsewhere at shorter distances.

Assuming the sensors are correctly located, and square, relative to the target center, would the sensors perform correctly without further calibration each time there were moved to a frame of different size?

Also, not that I would intentionally leave the target sensors and electronics exposed when not in use, are they weather resistant enough to withstand the elements one might encounter during a day's shooting; rain, snow, etc?

Finally, would there be issues of interference if more than one system were used in close proximity to each other? IE: two shooters, two systems, each on separate targets, on the same firing line.

Regards

4. adamjmac

adamjmac

To switch from one target frame to another you just need to enter the different width and height measurements. Write the measurements on the frame so you will remember. Also the calibration will be different, but you can also write down the X and Y calibration numbers and then enter them. So you would only need to measure and calibrate each frame once when you build it. The sensor placement is repeatable so there's no need to worry about repeated teardown/setup.

Yes, weather proof within reason is the intention. There are o-ring seals in specific places, like around the switch and USB connector, but if you dunk it underwater, water will probably get in. But a little water isn't a bad thing, the electronics will be fine. Go ahead and use it in the rain, just let it dry when you get home.

One access point acts as a central connection point for all the targets on the range. If you have three targets of your own, you would have one AP. If you and a friend each have an AP and a target, then you can either share one AP, or change the Wifi name of the second one and use both at the same time, this should be fine as well. So it's pretty flexible and there's no issues of interference.

Erud, dmoran, BobLor and 1 other person like this.
  5. whatwind?

whatwind? Silver $$ Contributor

Are they bullet proof?

6. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

As long as you keep it on paper.

7. Mozella

Mozella

Adam:
    Let's say three guys each have a personal system and they decide to host a match using all three of their targets. How difficult is it for them to integrate all three previously unrelated systems and is there any additional hardware to purchase?

I hope you do VERY well when you market this system.

8. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy

I must have this....just reserved one! BTW need more o-rings for the auto-trickler can I order those too?

9. adamjmac

adamjmac

It will be very easy. Each access point is a little server that can handle as many targets as you like, and you only need one of them.

10. Heavy barrel

Heavy barrel

Would there be any interface issues with other etargets, such as Sliver Mountain? There are a lot of Silver Mountain Targets at our range & there was a lot of problems until they got a server.

11. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I think that offering a tablet as a option is a great idea. One of the biggest problems of etargets is connectivity and it's usually due to insufficient antenna performance in the user's tablet/cellphone/laptop or the peculiarities of their web browser.

12. Mozella

Mozella

I find that surprising. I shoot at a range using the Silver Mountain Target system and the server is down on one end of the firing line. I use a tablet which I bought for $23, so it's hardly a high end piece of electronics. It works just fine anywhere near the firing line. Others use laptops or smart phones to connect and they work without any problem. The range master also provides a cheap tablet at each firing station, and I've never heard anyone complaining about connectivity.

It seems to me that any system which uses a WiFi server should be able to transmit with sufficient power to make most any kind of tablet/laptop/phone work. If there are connectivity problems I would certainly suspect the server rather than the users tablet. Surely even the cheapest tablet should work within 30 or 40 feet of a WiFi server. I prove that every month with my $23 Amazon Fire.

Of course, plenty of people with devices don't know how to use them, but that's different from "insufficient antenna performance". As for the peculiarities of web browsers, which ones would you say are peculiar when it comes to connecting to a range WiFi server? I use three different ones on various devices and i just type in the address once, and they all connect. The next time, they usually connect automatically and I'm certainly not an Internet guru.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    brxbrad likes this.
  13. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

What you see on the firing line is a repeater and not a server. The server is down in the pits with the target. If you have a repeater, it makes it easier for the cheaper display devices.

I have seen lots of problems with display devices. Some are better than others. My Amazon fire is much worse than someone's Samsung. My phone is worse than my Amazon. My laptop can pickup the signal from the server 600yd away in the pits; my tablet or cellphone...not so much.

14. Mozella

Mozella

Sorry, but what you say is simply not correct. Here is a cut/paste right from the SMT manual:

1.3 Server
    The S25 server is the brains of the target system. It sits on the firing
    line, receiving data from all targets via the uplink radio. It consolidates
    that data and presents it to the shooter or scorekeeper on the firing line

I shoot on a range using this exact system once a month and I assure you that the server is on the end of the firing line only a few feet from the shooters, NOT downrange where the targets are. There are target controllers with antennas down range by the target, but those boxes are not servers. Perhaps that's where you are confused.

I don't doubt your word about having seen lots of problems. But I can say that I have never seen the slightest problems either with the display units owned by the range or any tablet/computer owned by any shooter or by any smart phone, mine or a phone owned by someone else. They simply work.

15. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

I think that I am and other people of my club are using a different system. We have the G2 server in the pits and a repeater on the line.

16. HighpowerIndiana

HighpowerIndiana

Steve you are right. If you have G2 Shooters-Pacs, you can have a Server on the line, or you can just use an R5 repeater that communicates with each G2 independently.

17. HighpowerIndiana

HighpowerIndiana

Mozella, that quote is from the S25 Server manual and only applies to systems that have the S25 server. It is not a mandatory piece of equipment.

18. jkl

jkl Silver $$ Contributor

The greater the number of SMT G2 targets that are running on the range, a server becomes mandatory for smooth operations. In Phoenix I believe there are 16 individually owned SMT G2 targets. Our club owns the server.

John

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  19. M99

M99

Great product. I hope it works as advertised and becomes popular at matches.

20. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

Our club has members with 5 individually-owned SMT with the G2 on the target frames and one repeater on the line. The G2s are hardwired to the mics and antenna.