short range br shooters, a bag question?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by group therapy, May 14, 2019.

1. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

allright, I have been shooting for a long time. in the last 3-5 yrs I have gotten into lr br. I shoot almost free recoil and all my stocks have the flat on the bottom of the butt. my question is, the last time I shot short range (6ppc, James messer built, hall action, hart barrel, omg accurate!!)I was a bag squeezer. my short range stock has the slanted butt portion(from the butt plate to the pistol grip) and is rounded on the bottom, no flat area. is there a bag I can get that will allow for almost free recoil( I prefer shooting this way and would rather focus on one technique, not 2) with the type stock I have . I have almost sold this rifle to get a stock with the flat on it( tmbr, mcm edge, etc)and just build a new one, but this rifle has a little sentimental value in addition to being omg accurate(did I mention this thing is accurate:eek::eek::eek:). so, let me have it, opinions, experience, truths, etc. thanks in advance, bryant:)

2. johara1

johara1

is the stock wood or fiberglass?... jim

3. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Watching

4. Ccrider

Why does this matter?

5. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

Do this the easy way Call Protector.
    Tell them what you have and what you want, ask to have it filled and then give them your CC # and sit back and wait. ( Most I ever waited was 3 weeks)

perazziguy likes this.
  6. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Here’s a standard Protector bumblebee with 1/4 inch slope the distance between ears is 3/8 UNO
    11 pounds w/heavy sand
    The DR has more slope, definitely like the 3 M material for recoiling

Attached Files:

Uthink Uknow likes this.
  7. johara1

johara1

I guess you will never know...... jim

8. Ccrider

9. johara1

johara1

Flat bottom stocks can ride the flat on the bottom of the bag. Old time round bound bottom stocks are best riding the sides of the ears. The draft in your stock calls for a bag that has the same or close draft built in. I like the doctor bags you can use the 3/8 or 1/2" spacing and it is just how you fill the ears and bottom of the bag to get the perfect fit..... jim

Don, mikeinct, Ccrider and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jefferson

Jefferson

correct

the ears should try to guide or hold the stock without exerting too much pressure side to side or cause the stock to ride up the ears either before or during recoil

and yes they will never know

11. Jefferson

Jefferson

and try to get an extra one or two full square layers of cowhide underneath the ears, helps you guys who do not know how to properly fill the ears,

also helps to let you use the rifle when traveling a few thousand miles if you forgot to bring the extra 3 oz of sand to get it back where it should be

12. Ccrider

Neat. How do you adjust the fill of the bag to tighten the space better ears?

13. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

the amount of fill will not change the spacing between the bottom of the ears.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Ccrider likes this.
  14. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

fg, I've been told its one of the lee six's or maybe a hall. 3" forend, sporter looking butt. good looking stock and low center of gravity

15. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

I have finally settled on an Edgewood Mini Gator. It suits me for all my stocks, flat, angled, round or flat. The one I have has slope (not sure if there is a flat version). I turn it around & use it "backwards" according to some.

Keith

joshb, SPJ and Rushty like this.
  16. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

...my question is what is "almost free recoil"? I thought there were two ways. Pinning the rifle or free recoil.

17. johara1

johara1

the spacing has very little to do with riding on the ears. you let sand out of the bottom it closes the spacing... now if use a flat bottom stock it is a different story.... jim

18. johara1

johara1

That correct, adding sand to the bottom spreads the ears apart, taking out sand closes them up. You can also adjust the fill in the ears to change the the space..jim

19. johara1

johara1

Yes, they make a flat top for long range guns that have flat bottom stocks.... jim

20. johara1

johara1

Want to bet on that..... jim

daleboy likes this.