short range 6BR build

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by swadiver, Dec 18, 2017.

1. LHSmith

LHSmith

The OP is interested in Short Range BR only. The added torque imparted by an 8 twist will be a big problem with the rifles interaction with the bags.....and unnecessary bag upset leads to finishing at the bottom of the match results list.

2. tn6br

tn6br Silver $$ Contributor

Heavy is fine as long as its balanced. Put too much weight out front with a long straight taper and when you start shooting this gun from the bags you might find vertical you cant tune out. Lt32 and berger column win a lot of matches out of 6brs around here. Good luck

3. tn6br

I wouldnt go zero freebore either. Go atleast 35

4. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

thanks. i have a couple of 8 twists already. gonna do it different this time

5. swadiver

i put up the link to the blank i bought. it's a heavy varmint like contour that finishes @ 23". not going to be real heavy

6. swadiver

i am getting a lot of conflicting info on this freebore question. why not zero freebore?

7. tn6br

A 68 grain flat base will be way down into the neck with 0 possibly approaching donut. I have a 6BR with 98 freebore and have plenty of Bullet in the case still. In my oppinion freebore, Even if it’s only 10 thou Makes a rifle easier to tune. Ymmv

swadiver likes this.
  8. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

The Berger 80s surprised me. Best I have found.

swadiver likes this.
  9. Big Mc

Big Mc Gold $$ Contributor

I vote for a 1x14 .045 freebore 270 neck. Have same 22 in tube. Makes one little hole when I do my part.30 gr Varget wolf srm primer. 68 gr Bart Ultra

tn6br likes this.
  10. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

Brunoshootersupply.com
    Krieger 6mm 4 groove, 14 twist straight tube, Item #: 16494 $334 free shipping, at least free yesterday.

I personally buy them long (and compensate for balance issues) to facilitate setting them back when throat burns out, then use them for other than competition . Good to have on hand, fireforming, etc. Given what you are considering, I would call Krieger, in that Berger doesn't include their 68 grain in the twist rate calculator...hmm. Don't think I would personally go with 14.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  11. swadiver

Is the .270 neck no turn with Lapua blue box brass?

12. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

The .2704 is/was a no turn for some lots of brass. For mine it was too tight and my brass needed neck turning. If you want to be safe for all brass then you need a .272!

13. swadiver

ok, kinda thought that. i have been trying to avoid turning necks. i guess the question is, is turning worth the effort in this application?

14. tn6br

No, for sr br you will see no gains neck turning vs using quality brass(lapua,norma etc) Most calibers that are neck turning have been formed from another case (ppc,30br) and require neck turning because the shoulder brass that has been drawn up into the newly formed neck is too thick causing inconsistent neck thickness.

swadiver likes this.
  15. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

I agree I can't image getting a 0 freebore unless I was only wanting to shoot 55 grain varmint bullets. I have a 125 and the 70s and 80s are nicely seated at the lands. I would say your number is a very good one. Somewhere between .080 and and .100 with a 272 neck.

16. tn6br

In the 14 twist barrel you’re not going to stabilize anything heavier than a 68 reliably there’s no reason to have an excess of freebore 40-60 Is a good place to be for the type of shooting he is purpose building this rifle for. I get by with .098 but its also 8twist so i need the freebore for heavies

17. urbanrifleman

I think the 12 twist would really be ideal for the short 6br. Sadly, there are few barrel choices out there!!

18. swadiver

i did buy the barrel already. it is a 14 twist 4 groove Bartlein. leaning towards a .035" to .045" free bore at this point

tn6br likes this.
  19. urbanrifleman

I may get me one of those myself.

20. swadiver

it seems the only short barrel, 14 twist available in stock at the moment. i have never had a bad Bartlein, so i am sure it will be GTG. i got it off E Bay, Grizzly's page.